Chefelf.com Night Life: Name That Toy - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

Name That Toy

#1 User is offline   Number One Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:42 AM

hey everyone, im new here.. found this forum while trying to find the name of an old toy from the late 80s or early 90s. apparently google has indexed a toy related thread from the forum... and anyway, im still searching for the toy and this forum seems to have many knowlegable users... perhaps ill get lucky.

so here it goes... when i was about 9 years old, a friend of mine had a little toy that was shapped like a one of those old fashioned projectors they used in schools to show movies, etc (the type of projectors that had video reels, not the slide-show type). this thing was little, about the size of something you expect to get in a happy meal. for all i know, it came from a happy meal! the cool thing about this little projector is that it actually had a little eye peice and you could look inside, turn a little knob, and as long as you were turning the little knob a animation would repeat inside, over and over again. it was a black & white animation and i remember it resembling an old movie from the early 1900s. there was no sound, only images.

the other day my son was watching the boomerang cartoon channel and i swear i saw the thing... they have a small clip that they show as the lead into some of their shows, and they happened to show this little toy projector!

i cant seem to remember the name of it nor have i had any luck searching for it on the internet, and of course im hoping someone here remembers and can could help me out.

thanks

This post has been edited by Number One: 25 April 2009 - 06:45 AM

#2 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:19 AM

You could be more right than you know about it being from a happy meal. If it's from a kids meal, then you'd have to narrow it down to what franchise would sell something like that.

Keep in mind that Burger Kind and McDonald's would have toys mainly by the company Mattel and they would also have Disney or Universal sponsorship for their line of products.

An obscure toy like you just mentioned that is more a novelty item rather than a toy, would possibly stem from something like Taco Bell or Subway. I've noticed that those two chains sell a range of novelty items that would sometimes come with a "brief history" of said item. These items actually engage children in thinking rather than going along with the newest trend in movies, games, shows, etc.

Maybe there is a way to look and see a history of toys that a franchise releases... Don't know for sure.

Hope this helps in some way shape or form.

#3 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:09 PM

I don't know. I think if it were from a fast food chain, it would have some memorable cartoon character that Disney or whoever else paid to have endorsed. Or maybe not memorable, but still corporate. I'm being a little cynical, but I don't think even back then they would give you a toy that wasn't trying to sell you something.

#4 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:45 AM

Exactly, Ninja Duck.

This is why my speculations point toward Taco Bell and Subway being that their endorsements don't come from Disney or Universal. Their line of kids meal toys involve independent thought in some aspects, not solely the communal thinking of a corporation.

McDonald's wasn't so bad in the early '80's when they sold Lego's with their Happy Meals, but over time, they formed a dark alliance with Disney and Mattel. Burger King rivaled them in forming a union with Universal/Dreamworks.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size