Chefelf.com Night Life: Eating out - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Eating out dining around the world

#1 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 29 May 2004 - 10:10 PM

After the film today, we were pondering where to go for a bite and we ended up going to Outback. you know, the steak house with the "down under" flavor. I noticed they'd taken down the paul hogan pics, and had that lovely flag draped all the more. Had a good time. One fellow didn't pick up on the Sheilas/Blokes bathroom lingo as I saw him exit the ladies room promptly.

I was wondering what with all the McDonalds' around the world and whatnot, do they have Outbacks in Austrailia? I'm sure they wouldn't be "watered-down" as I'm certain our stateside version would be considered Americanized. Just a thought.

Recently visiting this Brio Tuscan Grill my cousin returned to the table not knowing which WC to use. "well, one of them said 'Dames.'" I thought that was cute. (they did have that Authentic Italian Pizza if you ever get a taste for that.)

#2 Guest_Laura_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 30 May 2004 - 10:40 AM

Was it approved by the pizza council?

http://www.mg.co.za/...l3.asp?ao=66977

#3 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 30 May 2004 - 11:01 AM

outbacks? not to my knowledge...

we have the black stump (the slack dump), which is just a steak house... and it in no way claims to be particulary on the australiana side of things...

aside from that, McDonalds throws in a little beetroot now and then and tells us that that makes it aussy... pfff... everyone knows bacon and eggs are the internationally recognised 'make meal australian' addatives.

#4 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 30 May 2004 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the link, Laura. Yes, I'd say it came close. *I called it pizza* actually on the menu it was in a separate group called "flatbreads" or something like that, and verified while close to the pie you'd find in italy it's not like classic american pizza. California Pizza Kitchens (a franchise across the U.S.) has a Sicilian that comes close also.

when jumping to the link I was reminded of a pizza footnote. I believe here in the states for the dish to be called pizza it has to have a red sauce. I think I read that in Joy of Cooking.

Barend, I believe the Outback proprietors are from Down Under. The wait staff had an accent that was suggestive. And the menu was filled with terms like bonzer and tucker. G'day, mate.

#5 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 30 May 2004 - 09:29 PM

i would love to be a waiter in a fancy resteraunt, just so everytime some one tries to impress a group of people or date by ordering a fancy dish or bottle of wine, I could correct them on the pronunciation just to make them look like an ass and loose favor with fellow dining guests...
oh, you mean 'chor~dohn~bleauh' dry.gif

but doing it in an Australian accent would be quite amusing too...
i think you'll find, sir, that the terms are pronounced 'Bonza' and 'tucka' now sit toit wahl oy get ya ah tahbel, and ya can get ah beer up ya! cool.gif

...sir
dry.gif

This post has been edited by barend: 30 May 2004 - 09:31 PM

#6 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2004 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ May 29 2004, 10:10 PM)
I was wondering what with all the McDonalds' around the world and whatnot, do they have Outbacks in Austrailia? I'm sure they wouldn't be "watered-down" as I'm certain our stateside version would be considered Americanized. Just a thought.

I've been to Outback's in Singapore, but don't believe they exist in Australia. Which is a shame, because I really enjoyed their food.

We have Chilli's and Lonestar which I believe are American style steakhouses.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#7 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 30 May 2004 - 11:40 PM

Did anybody else get the wrong idea when they saw the topic's title?

#8 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 31 May 2004 - 12:39 AM

There's Outback restuarants in Korea. I really want to go to one because I could do with a big piece of steak. Haven't had one for FAR too long.

#9 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ May 30 2004, 11:40 PM)

Yup! But didn't want to say anything until I got the impression that it wasn't just me. biggrin.gif
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#10 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:01 AM

As a part time chef and dishwasher I think my opinions about food are more important than the rest of you. Naw not really but I gotta say that for me there is a holy trinity of restaurants that simply rock. Other than the Woodruff Inn where I work at I like Wendy's for their frosties and burgers, TGI Friday's for when I feel upscale and fun and finally I like the Waffle House for when I'm hungry and it's three thirty AM. I think a whole other topic would be required to discuss the greatness that is the Waffle House.

Also has anyone noticed that Ruby Tuesday is a creepy place? The one I've been to the lights are always dimmed and you can't hear a word someone else is saying unless they're at your table. Even the help is quiet and low-key. I think secret agents like to meet there.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#11 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (Supes @ May 31 2004, 07:41 PM)
QUOTE (Heccubus @ May 30 2004, 11:40 PM)

Yup! But didn't want to say anything until I got the impression that it wasn't just me. biggrin.gif

Just wanted to build some interest. I've always gotten a kick out of seeing labelled on restaurant doors: American Dining Council reminds you to Eat Out Often. wink.gif

#12 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:12 AM

and so one should...

I always used to say, that Pop Will Eat Itself should release an album called out

for the same reason...

#13 User is offline   jyd Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 02 June 2004 - 04:12 PM

umm after reading the title of this topic, the content very much disappoints me

#14 User is offline   WalrusOfPlastic Icon

• Not Greg
  • PipPip

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:51 PM

The thing about Waffle Houses is, that they look like cheap bad spoon-type food but they are a large succeful chain. Also, when heading south in North America one will find both a Waffle House and Crqacker Barrel at every EVERY exit. That's impressive.

#15 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:58 PM

You just can't oppose the power of a restaurant that has 7 different toppings for hashbrowns and is somehow open thirty two hours a day. It's even been featured in movies, the most recent being lady killers with Tom Hanks.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size