Chefelf.com Night Life: 2009: The Ongoing Year In Music - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

2009: The Ongoing Year In Music

#1 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:44 AM

Well so far there hasn't been a lot of ground-breaking stuff. Everyone wet themselves over the new Animal Collective album, but on my initial listen I didn't think that much of it. The latest from A.C. Newman is pretty decent, same with Morrissey's newest. The side project by Karin Dreijer from The Knife, Fever Ray released its debut LP digitally, and it's a massive disappointment. Just sounds like a set of Silent Shout B-sides.

Anyway, this thread's the same as the previous two. Discuss new releases and such from 2009 as you hear them.

This post has been edited by Heccubus: 30 January 2009 - 08:45 AM

#2 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

I know he's not exactly everybody's cup of tea, but the new Ben Kweller album comes out in a few days. I like the songs I have heard so far (Sawdust Man in particular) but we'll see. BK isn't really about trying to find the album to end all albums, it's just kind of fun.
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#3 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:58 AM

Röyksopp's new album Junior is typical for them, but still a step too far into the awkward direction of their style. I'll have to give it another listen or two, but so far, it doesn't sound like a keeper.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#4 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:39 AM

Nope, it's actually quite alright, really just needed to warm up to it. Go Röyksopp! (Creepy dudes though...)

Coldplay's LeftRightLeftRightLeft is very nice, and free of charge. That's how it should be done - give to the masses and demonstrate that seeing your band live will be worth spending money on. If you're any good, you'll get a lot out of it whilst doing what you like.

Oh, and The Prodigy's Invaders must die is a cool combination of their old techno roots and their The Fat of the Land style, methinks. Good for keeping your neighbors awake, but otherwise not too many highlights, sadly.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#5 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:25 AM

The new Prodigy album is another slap in the face, except this time it's more because they've just bought into the ridiculous "nu rave" culture that rose up last year. It's one of the worst albums I've heard all year.

The best album of 2009 for me so far is Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions. If you want to listen to music that could soundtrack a horrible nightmare, this is the album for you. Also:

Bill Callahan - Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle (Folk / Americana)
Sonic Youth - The Eternal (Experimental / Indie Rock)
Coconut Records - Davy (Indie pop)
The Horrors - Primary Colours (Shoegaze / Dream Pop / Weirdness)
Kylesa - Static Tensions (Stoner / Sludge Metal)
Dan Deacon - Bromst (Experimental / Electronic Pop)
Japandroids - Post-Nothing (Indie Rock)
Black Lips - 200 Million Thousand (Garage Rock / Pop)
Wavves - Wavvves (Surf Punk / Lo-Fi Rock)
Wolves In The Throne Room - Black Cascade (Atmospheric Black Metal)
Antony & The Johnsons - The Crying Light (Indie Pop / Chamber Pop)
Asobi Seksu - Hush (Shoegaze / Dream Pop)
The Decemberists - The Hazards Of Love (Indie Folk / Prog Rock)
The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart (Noise Pop / Shoegaze)

This post has been edited by Heccubus: 31 May 2009 - 02:31 AM

#6 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:07 PM

True, the album really started to piss me off, I only kept two tracks with slight potential. I didn't notice this nu rave trend rising up... but as soon as you mentioned it, BAM - Black Eyed Peas release that... something. I mean, I don't really have a problem with electronic music, but when I buy a Black Eyed Peas album, I expect something more hip-hoppy and less Madonna-esque experimenting.

A simple album with 50% good tracks and the usual 50% party tracks for the dumb teenage population, that's what I came to expect after Briding the Gap.

#7 User is offline   ShiverMeSideways Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Music, reading, games, my girlfriend, etc. etc. etc.

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:17 AM

Heavy metal rants, yay!

Slayer - World Painted Blood

Could've been worse, mind you... But it's not that better... Feels like Christ Illusion 2: What We Really Meant to Do.

Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know

Go. Get it. Now. Awesome cover, awesome songs (for the most part).

Five Finger Death Punch - War Is the Answer

Of course the second album is going to be worse than the awesome debut... Besides the fact that they've stuck more ballads in there, they've also copied riffs from The Way of the Fist! Ferchrissakes... And what was that BS about their guitarist missing?!

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings

The first four songs (out of six) I like very much, but the last two... I didn't get Count of Tuscany and The Best of Times I'm not going to go into 'cos the drummer wrote that song in memory of his father, who died while the recording of the album. All the elements of Systematic Chaos are in place in those first songs, and The Shattered Fortress is an awesome finale.

Megadeth - Endgame

I... just... am... surprised... This album is good from start to finish! Think of it as an upgraded, heavier United Abominations. Buy it now! But Mustaine can go suck my nu- an egg for saying that his current guitarist is twice what Marty Friedman was and blaming that Risk BS on him... God, a science team really needs to go searching up Mustaine's arse for his head... But musically, you go, Dave!

Rammstein - Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da

* incomprehensible swearing * I really tried to hate this album, but there are just some really good tracks on it, and Pussy (that's the name of the song, mods) isn't all that bad when you block out the video (oh, god, the horror) from your mind. But don't compare to Sensucht. No, Sensucht is AWESOME, Liebe Ist... is really good.

Also, Rob Zombie's new album is going to be terrible, judging by the two tracks he's released so far... I mean, come on, he messed up just one record... The first two were ok, though... And calling it Part Two of Hellbilly Deluxe, the first record... Come on, man. I think I know why he's delaying it now, he's recording a new album.

Anyhoo, those were my random thoughts about 2009 in the metal department.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size