Chefelf.com Night Life: Dragon, Dragon, Rock the Dragon! - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Dragon, Dragon, Rock the Dragon! Saturday, May 22, 2004

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:29 PM

I don't know why but I've been thinking a lot about Dragonball Z lately. Perhaps it is my memories of my ill-fated courtship of Vegeta Girl. Perhaps it is my return to the foodservice industry. When last I watched a lot of Dragonball Z I was working 179 hours a week and spending some of my hard-earned dough on purchasing these overpriced Dragonball Z VHS tapes when they were released. A lot has changed since then: VHS has given way to DVD and DVD is much more easily rented via Netflix than purchased expensively at a store.

There was a long span of time where I would work a lot of hours and come home to my parents' quiet sleeping home. I would then climb the stairs to the attic and watch an episode or two of this show before retiring to bed. The early episodes of the show were so awe-inspiring when I first saw them. The whole story played out like classic mythology. It was a recall to the cartoons of my youth yet a discovery of something completely new. Seeing the style reminded me of the Japanese produced cartoons I watched as a ten year old.

Something about those times seemed so much simpler. I'm sure it is because we tend to not remember the bad memories. My mind doesn't seem to remember the fact that hair was falling out of my head from stress at the exact same time. All I remember is coming home each night to a new/old Japanese cartoon that told an epic story, making my life of misery in foodservice hell seem insignificant.

A lot of new DBZ has been released since those days... almost too much to keep up with. They priced me out of the market when they decided they were going to release approximately seven of these $20 VHS tapes a month. Now with the wonderful Netflix I can get caught up on the stories I've been missing out on in a jiffy. There's even a Netflix Depot about twenty minutes from my house so I can literally have a new DVD every other day.

Okay. This odd dose of nostalgia has somehow turned into a commercial for Netflix and I don't know how to get out of it.

Remember, Chefelf says: "Go get your Netflix subscription today! Subscriptions start at just $21.99 a month!"
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:33 PM

I liked DBZ in my early high school days, and now I loathe it. I just completely lost interest in it.

#3 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 23 May 2004 - 03:06 AM

Lol that was a funny article.

I watched DB back when I was 12. I was the first kid in North AMerica to watch it. (or at least I like to think so) When I went to europe, I made it my life mission to find all the Db and DB z comics in french and chinese.

I almost finished my collection. I did buy all the french ones. I thought that I could learn french with greater ease, and then read the story and fully understand it-rather than listen to my stupid chinese pal tell me how it goes while staring at the pictures. Jack was his name, he told me the whole story (in a terrible way) of DB. After 15 explanations (due to his broken english, not my shitty comprhension skills) I finally kinda sorta understood it.

Then years upon years later, after I lost all interest in Dragon Ball the bastards finally bring it over to America and translate it.

Fuckers.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 23 May 2004 - 01:24 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#4 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 23 May 2004 - 07:52 AM

See I didn't get into DBZ until I was like 19. Odd.

The DVDs they have released now have the original Japanese dialgue and music. The music is SO much better than the crappy Funimation music they dubbed later. The dialogue is much better as well. Funimation REALLY took some liberties with the translation (in adding and changing a bunch of dialogue). The translator is on the DVDs is done by Steven J Simmons who is very well respected for his translations.

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#5 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 23 May 2004 - 01:28 PM

I originally got into Dragon Ball from my Chinese Friend, Jack. I really loved drawing the characters, it was so easy-just a bunch of triangles.

Dragon Ball Z got sloppy when Goku kept dieing. I really enjoyed Vegeta's design. That recieding hair line looks so sinister. His attitude is also amusing. He added alot to the seires.

I really liked the original Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Z was good too, but like I said, the story got sloppy after a while.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#6 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 23 May 2004 - 03:51 PM

So far I'm abotu half way through the Cell Saga. It seems pretty cool still. I like that storyline. The Freeza Saga was pretty cool, albeit very slow mving. As for Vegeta... I think he and Ira from Mad About You may have been separated at birth.

#7 Guest_mrRobinson_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 24 May 2004 - 01:55 PM

ooohh, the cell saga. That's the only one I've ever seen from start to finish. Any other time I've tried watching via cartoon network I never understood what was going on to get into it again.

Maybe I'll start picking them up via Netflix though since you think so highly of them wink.gif

#8 User is offline   Reader Icon

• More Important than Coal
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating
  • Interests:oh, this and that

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (Jordan @ May 23 2004, 01:28 PM)
Dragon Ball Z got sloppy when Goku kept dieing.

That is the fucking funniest thing i've read all week.
"Nothing is real, all is permitted"
- Hassan i Sabbah
"There's nothing wrong with anything."
- Philip J.Fry

#9 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 25 May 2004 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (mrRobinson @ May 24 2004, 01:55 PM)
ooohh, the cell saga. That's the only one I've ever seen from start to finish. Any other time I've tried watching via cartoon network I never understood what was going on to get into it again.

Maybe I'll start picking them up via Netflix though since you think so highly of them wink.gif

Start from the beginning, old friend. The origin is good to know. The Saiyan Saga is really fun and exciting. The Namek Saga is also good. The Ginyu Saga is great and the the Freiza Saga is EXTREMELY slow-paced but in a really well done way. It's just an epic battle but with some really cool back story. You learn a lot about the history of the Saiyans, Freeza and Vegeta.

mrRobinson, when are you going to register? It's not the same without seeing the Eye of Sauron gazing at me. wink.gif

#10 User is offline   mrRobinson Icon

• Network Guru
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 26 May 2004 - 10:14 AM

There we go... the eye is back.

Alright well I'll start hittin the dbz dvd's as soon as i get done the seasons of family guy i'm watching. I usually just watch one episode during my lunch break.

#11 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 26 May 2004 - 03:15 PM

There we go... the eye is back.

I feel more comforted now.

Alright well I'll start hittin the dbz dvd's as soon as i get done the seasons of family guy i'm watching.

The early DVDs are (as far as I know) STILL not in Japanese. The good Japanese translations don't start until the Ginyu Saga (somewhere around Episode 53). The good thing is that the voice-acting/music on the EARLY English versions (Episodes 1-52 or so) is much better than the later ones. They moved Funimation (I believe) and hired some local voice-actors. My guess is that they paid them much less and it shows. The music is horrible too in the later episodes.

I usually just watch one episode during my lunch break.

During your lunch break? You work at a much cooler place than I do!

Can you get me a job? rolleyes.gif

#12 User is offline   mrRobinson Icon

• Network Guru
  • Pip

Posted 26 May 2004 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ May 26 2004, 03:15 PM)
During your lunch break?  You work at a much cooler place than I do!

Can you get me a job?  rolleyes.gif

HAHA...
Yea its my house. I work out of my house a lot and remote into the servers or network I need to get on to get a job done. The office I go to is 1000 miles away and usually go there every 2 weeks. When I'm there, I don't watch anything at lunch break.

Edit: oh and if you ever wanted to be a chef in FL then there is a chance I could get you a job.

This post has been edited by mrRobinson: 26 May 2004 - 04:39 PM

#13 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 26 May 2004 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (mrRobinson @ May 26 2004, 04:34 PM)
Edit: oh and if you ever wanted to be a chef in FL then there is a chance I could get you a job.

What about if I wanted to be a home network guru guy in FL or even better, in RI? biggrin.gif

#14 User is offline   mrRobinson Icon

• Network Guru
  • Pip

Posted 26 May 2004 - 09:27 PM

Are there jobs where you just deal with home networks? That would be cool. Maybe boring though since they generally aren't complex.

To say something on topic: the only "power" I'd want is the abilty to stand still while shaking vigorously, force one bead of sweat out of my forehead, then have all my hair stand straight up and turn blonde.

You know you'd look at anyone who can do that in awe.

#15 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 27 May 2004 - 06:31 AM

QUOTE (mrRobinson @ May 26 2004, 09:27 PM)
Are there jobs where you just deal with home networks? That would be cool. Maybe boring though since they generally aren't complex.

Actually I meant that I wanted to be a network guy that works from home. I'm already a home network guy in the other sense. wink.gif

To say something on topic: the only "power" I'd want is the abilty to stand still while shaking vigorously, force one bead of sweat out of my forehead, then have all my hair stand straight up and turn blonde.

I've often wished I could harness the power of a kamehameha wave. Usually when I'm stuck in traffic.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size