Chefelf.com Night Life: Lamest Element? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Lamest Element? Pick the lamest part of the new trilogy.

Poll: What is the Lamest Element of the New Star Wars Movies?

What is the Lamest Element of the New Star Wars Movies?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 30 October 2003 - 05:02 PM

This is kinda lame, I'm just testing the poll feature of the forum. I'm pretty sure that Jar Jar is gonna run away with it anyway.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 October 2003 - 06:14 PM

Hey Chefelf,

I would have agreed with you after Episode I only about Jar Jar. But having now been subjected to Episode II as well, Anakin will get a bucket load more votes. There are so many aspects about this character now that suck that he's going to bypass Jar Jar I'm afraid. The worst part about this poll was actually feeling compelled to select Anakin.

Cheers,
Trent
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#3 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 30 October 2003 - 06:49 PM

It's a damn shame that Anakin Skywalker (Darth Vader himself!) is now uncool! I never would have seen that coming after the amazing character he turned out to be at the end of RoTJ.

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#4 User is offline   Lynxfox Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 30 October 2003 - 11:54 PM

As much as every moment I see Anakin in the second episode makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon, Jar Jar binks is the antithesis of the episodes that were not God-forsaken. With said episodes consisting mostly of Empire. I mean, A New Hope was okay, but it just didn't have the FLAIR of Empire. And while Return of the Jedi had Princess Leia in a gold bikini, it was to melodramatic to be up there with that sassy bitch Empire.

Oh, Empire, my unrequited love. Someday our hearts will be one. wub.gif
IPB Image

#5 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 31 October 2003 - 12:26 PM

Wow. I'm surprised at how much Anakin is actually running away with this poll! I guess If I'd done the poll two years ago it would be Jar Jar but Anakin seems to have muscled away the hatred from Jar Jar. Way to go, Annie. Way to go.

#6 User is offline   Jessica Icon

• New Cop

Posted 31 October 2003 - 08:40 PM

i voted for "other" because you did not have "all" listed

it was hard to pick one

#7 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 October 2003 - 09:34 PM

You know what's weird? Hayden Christensen's new movie Shattered Glass just came out and is playing in selected theaters, and he is getting UNBELIEVEABLE reviews for it. Everyone loves him! And people also said he was good in Life as a House. Now I have to say, I would be the first to defend Lucas as a director (I did enjoy Episode II aside from the dreadful love scenes and dialogue), but this makes him very suspect. He really should just hire a separate acting director for the movie. And you know what, I think Amidala is the lamest part of the prequels, with Jar-Jar and Anakin close behind. In the OT we have this great character of Leia, a strong woman of action and royalty who eventually falls in love with a scoundrel. In the PT, we have Amidala, a monotonous, predictable, annoyingly shallow character. All Portman does is wear fancy and ridiculous outfits, and deliver her lines with no emotion whatsoever. At least Hayden has emotion, despite WAY too much, and at least he has ONE decent moment in the Sand People scene. Portman and her character, to me, are the lamest and most disappointing things in this trilogy, and hopefully she'll be killed off fairly early in III, or at least not have much screen time.

#8 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 02 November 2003 - 07:58 AM

This poll was both GOOD and BAD!

Good in that it was like a kid walking into a candy store. So much to choose.

Bad in that I could only choose 1 thing.

I picked Mace Windu for the movies. But I'm actually a new fan because of Stover's Shatterpoint. I reviewed it at Amazon Review.
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

#9 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 02 November 2003 - 01:36 PM

Wow, I haven't read any Star Wars books since Vonda McIntyre's Crystal Star. The whole series started to really go into the toilet once they let just anyone write the books. It I didn't have such an immense pile of books to read I might consider picking up Shatterpoint. It seems to have gotten many good reviews.

#10 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2003 - 02:47 PM

Yeah I've read basically all the books (haven't read shatterpoint yet though), even after crystal star, the Corellian trilogy isn't that bad, but Zahn's Hand of Thrawn series is very good (of course it is its zahn after all). The new series, the New Jedi Order, is really not Star Wars, it's a much more violent series (if it were a movie, it would probably be rated R), it's not bad though, just different, though I can't wait for it to end and have them get on with regular SW books.

#11 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 03 November 2003 - 01:01 PM

The Zahn books are great. They flow like they were actually movies from the original trilogy. Regardless of how you feel about the original movies, the Zahn books capture a lot of that same energy and feeling. I would have much rather seen the Zahn books made into movies than the actual prequels.

#12 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2003 - 05:39 PM

I have to agree with you Nate. The Zahn books were a fantastic follow on from the original series. I was particularly impressed with his treatment of Thrawn and his alien nature in the Imperial world. The books very much had the feel of the movies. Who knows, perhaps one day (although the 7th, 8th and 9th episodes never really existed) perhaps Lucas will really have a good look at these booksand say to himself - "Yep, they are the esence of what I wanted to achieve, and lets face it, the fans want more." With the right director they would translate to awesome sequels.

Trent
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#13 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 03 November 2003 - 10:00 PM

Hey,

Thought I'd finally get in on this one with my $.02 (Canadian, so, like, $.015 US). I voted "other," since I think the lamest element of the new STAR WARS films is that instead of operating as a stand-alone series, they are attemting to flesh out the back story of the original trilogy. What should have been obvious to Lucas, and to all of his potential audience, is that following this plan was guaranteed to produce stories that were equally boring and stupid. He has only made it worse with his poor handling of it; the series may have been doomed to begin with.

I do not list the whole Fett family history, since I have not seen CLONES, but if I had, I bet I'd think that was the worst of it all.

Mike M.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#14 User is offline   Trouble Icon

• New Cop

Posted 04 November 2003 - 06:56 AM

I think what bothered me the most about Anakin's background is that everyone just accepted it. Some woman says "Oh, yeah, I woke up one day and was pregnant." There's never even a discussion on whether she's lying, confused, or has been tricked.

However, if "droids" had been an option, I would have picked that. I see no reason for these two to be in here at any point. Yes, I loved C3PO as a kid, and I thought R2 was great. But there's no reason to have them in the movies now except as "kewl factors" and nothing more. They don't advance the story.

#15 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 04 November 2003 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (Trouble @ Nov 4 2003, 06:56 AM)
I think what bothered me the most about Anakin's background is that everyone just accepted it. Some woman says "Oh, yeah, I woke up one day and was pregnant." There's never even a discussion on whether she's lying, confused, or has been tricked.

However, if "droids" had been an option, I would have picked that. I see no reason for these two to be in here at any point. Yes, I loved C3PO as a kid, and I thought R2 was great. But there's no reason to have them in the movies now except as "kewl factors" and nothing more. They don't advance the story.

You're absolutely right. Having them in the movie is so annoying. Lucas just got out a calculator and figured out exactly everyone that could have been alive in the prequels and decided to include them. That's why we see Bobba Fett (unnecessary) and why Chewbacca is going to be in the next movie.

As far as the whole virgin birth thing they could have done a much better job of explaining it somehow. You know they're just going to forget about it and leave it unexplained which makes it even worse. It makes no sense to come out and explain something mystical (the Force) with science and then simultaneously create something mystical (the virgin birth) in the next scene.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size