• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Asian Jedi? Nowhere to be found.

#91 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (N-Jam)
Filipinos are by far some of the nicest people I've met in the entire world. (I also like the Dutch.)

my father is dutch and his wife is Filipino.

Heck, it took me a while to realize that Indians are Asians too, as are the white Caucasians who live in Australia and New Zealand. (Do you guys call yourselves Oceanics?)

Australia is not part of Asia...
Australia IS a continent AND a country...
that's what makes us different...

Oceanic? I think maybe New Zealanders fall under that catigory...
i'm not sure you'd have to ask them.

#92 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 15 December 2004 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (njamilla @ May 18 2004, 03:23 AM)
I just posted the following after seeing a huge thread on a SW.com message board entitled Isn't it time for a prominant Female role for a Jedi.

"In the whole of the series, there has not been a single male Jedi (or any other role) in the entire Saga. If the Jedi were supposed to be inspired by the samurai, you'd think that at least there'd be a token Asian somewhere. And doesn't that say a lot; that I'd settle for a token Asian over none at all."

Am I just pissing in the wind gripping about a silly fairness issue?

I think there actually was one male Asian Jedi in Episode 2 - he can be seen VERY briefly as Obi-Wan strides towards Yoda's class of younglings. And later there is a female Jedi in the Arena scene.

In addition to Lando, I think there was one black background character in ESB and there was a very brief shot of a black Rebel X-wing pilot in ROTJ (the one who shouts "She's gonna blow!" then BANG!)
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#93 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 30 January 2005 - 08:06 PM

This recent website is posted NOT for Hofmarn's benefit, but to maintain that, as I said all along, I am not the only one to think George Lucas is a racist, and it is NOT crazy to think he is. The racism issue still continues, and this is being posted to prove there are more Hannibals than you think out there...

http://www.diogenesc...lucas_is_1.html

January 19, 2005
George Lucas is a racist
Yes, this post is about The Phantom Menace, and about five years to late, but in my defense, there was no diogenesclub.net five years ago.

A lot of people have made off-handed remarks that this or that character is a racist stereotype, mostly Jar Jar Binks, but to my knowledge, no one has ever looked at the movie as a whole to notice, pigeon English aside, how racist the movie actually is.

The original Star Wars had a message. It didn't hit you over the head with it, but it was there. The point of Star Wars (or at least one of them) was that the human spirit triumphs over technology. The point of The Phantom Menace was that racism is wrong. I know this because I was hit over the head with it. Obi-Wan kindly dumbs it down for us and Boss Nass to understand:

go to link to read on

This post has been edited by Hannibal: 30 January 2005 - 08:07 PM

"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#94 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 30 January 2005 - 08:36 PM

but once again, i must re-interate...

i think accusing luas of racism in the way of sly, alien metaphorical misrepresentation is giving lucas far too much intellectual credibility.

he's just not that smart... and rest of his work prooves this.
OT based on LOTR, Monarchy based on american "democracy"
so aliens based on stereo types, is not far from what i'd expect from a simple farm boy, who thinks it's neccessary to constantly update his work...

#95 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:16 PM

You underestimate the power of the Dark Side.
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#96 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 31 January 2005 - 03:31 PM

Isn't it only sane that his characters will bare some resemblance to races on earth? I mean if you look for the similiarities you're going to find them.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#97 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:38 PM

Yeah, ultimately GL bear responsibility for the characters, but it was Trisha Biggar, the costume designer (and perhaps Church and Chiang) who helped create many of the costumes for the movie. So if there is some Asian sterotyping, there are sources other than GL as well.
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size