• +
  • Last »

Asian Jedi? Nowhere to be found.

#16 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 19 May 2004 - 08:42 PM

oh and yeah, there was an asian female jedi, forgot her name though. Weren't there some Indian ones also? I'm trying to remember, haven't seen the Arena scene in a while.

#17 Guest_Commoner_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 May 2004 - 12:21 AM

It seems equality issues are shoved down your throat and that we should all get over "it". There are a lot of people who haven't gotten over the color, race, ethnicity. And in my experience it doesn't matter if the person has no education or a PhD.

Quite right, njamilla.

I just wanted to add a little ancedotal musings. My neighbor is black. I didn't befriend him because of that. I did because our kids started playing with each other and we share a property line and a love of football. I didn't march over there because I thought, "Hey, he's black, I should get to know him."

My neighbor on the other side is full-blooded Indian, and he tells the funniest damnedest jokes! Same story, and my other neighbor, kiddie-corner, is nearly 90 years old! Can't hear worth a damn, but nicest guy!

So, I didn't get all of this from being put into "diversity sensitivity" at work or anything.

And, I don't live in a big city. Our town population is less than 2,000!

So, well.. that's all I had to say. smile.gif

If I sounded like I ranted. I guess I was just having a bad day. Take are, y'all.

#18 Guest_Guest_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 May 2004 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (Vwing @ May 19 2004, 08:42 PM)
oh and yeah, there was an asian female jedi, forgot her name though. Weren't there some Indian ones also? I'm trying to remember, haven't seen the Arena scene in a while.

Not Indian, he was a Zabrak.....had the skin complexion of an Indian though.

#19 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 26 May 2004 - 01:27 PM

I don't know if this fits the thread or not so here goes-

How many humans are represented in the senate? lots of aliens, we know that. but considering how common humans have become in this galaxy (just about every planet has a native race of humans, don't they?) shouldn't they have better representation?

just a thought.

#20 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2004 - 01:53 PM

I have a couple of points on this topic:

1. The OT films were made in the late 70s-early 80s. If you look at most films around that time, their casts were not really ethnically diverse. So I don't think the lack of minorities in Star Wars would be a "George Lucas" problem specifically.

2. Star Wars has done better with minorities than most films. I mean Lando was a main character. There are tons of minorities in the Pt films. {Temura Morrison, "Captain Pananka", Mace Windau etc..} So Lucas has actually to his credit Lucas has kept his casts ethnically diverse. {although you have to wonder about Jar-Jar unsure.gif

#21 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 26 May 2004 - 07:47 PM

i remember hearing alot of things about the race issue and Jar Jar, but i never actullay caught waht the accusations were...

but i have to say i don't hink he's a racist, he's alot of bad things but a racist or bigot he is not... he covers alot...

he's covered most races and has even had gay characters (C3P0)

BTW I like how you guys have seperatley mentioned Asians and Indians... "Political Correctness" really has made a mess of things...

#22 User is offline   Radu094 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 27 May 2004 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE (barend @ May 26 2004, 07:47 PM)
BTW I like how you guys have seperatley mentioned Asians and Indians... "Political Correctness" really has made a mess of things...

laugh.gif
I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.

#23 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 02 June 2004 - 11:42 PM

I've never had the impression that Lucas is a racist either. He just comes across as an ordinary, humble shlub. But, the funny thing is, when they were coming up with the alien languages they would go through them with a fine-tooth comb to make sure none of the "made-up" words would be offensive in different languages.. sooo, how does one explain Jar Jar?

I mean, we have Ahmed Best... black guy, right? Did he not think it was a bad idea at some point? Or is it just all a degree or degrees of being "too close to your work?"

I don't know. I guess I don't care about all of this that much anyways. Jar Jar sucks whether he talks like a stereotype or not....
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#24 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 03 June 2004 - 07:45 PM

I'm a bit board with the JJ sounding like whatever bit...

anyone offended by JJ for any other reason then that he was annoying and uneccesary, is someone who has too much time on their hand... maybe if they had been called 'Nigeroonians' instead of 'Gungans', or 'Jamaicanstereotypesors'...

the simpsons constantly make fun of every race under the sun... it's not always 'racist' to poke a little affectionate fun... look at the Austin Powers movies (I'm Half Dutch by the way)!

although, having said that...
those Trade fed dudes with the out of sinc lips, were one step away from saying "AHSOW, me so solly"

#25 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 07 November 2004 - 03:30 AM

George Lucas has plenty of races represented in Star Wars...

Neimodians...

Watto...

Jar Jar...

The Gungans...

Oh, I thought you meant racial stereotypes...

Yeah, the only asian in star wars (not including the Neimodians) just so happes to be a rebel pilot that does a "kamikaze" into the Death Star...in Return of the Jedi...

These guys are all white...see if you can find the ethnic guy in this pic:

Yeah George Lucas isn't racist. Not at all.
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#26 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 07 November 2004 - 03:37 AM

Then of course we have George Lucas' vision of the Immigration problem:

"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#27 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 07 November 2004 - 03:50 AM

Yeah George Lucas isn't racist. Not at all.

I know you're joking around, but I'd rather see a movie screen full of white guys, than a movie screen filled with 99% white guys then some token black dude. Because you know the only reason he got the part is because he's black. Thats even more insulting than writing a movie that only has white people. Is writing a movie about all white people even bad? Fuck no. I hate the fact that only white people can be brand racist.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#28 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:17 AM

A lot of people (especially younger people) see diversity as a non-issue because they're so used to treating everyone as an equal

Not in my experience.

When I went to highschool I refered to asians as chinks, nips, and gooks. I called Middle eastern kids Sand niggers, binders, rag heads, and camel jockies. Whites did not like the Persians (we called them persian-iranian kids), Persians did not like us. Asians and whites got along ok for the most part, but we had rumbles with them too, both sides harbored small amounts of hatred.

Entering grade 8 I had no prejudice. By the end of grade 12 I was a bonifide racist. And with good reason. We all hated eachother. The haterd came from fights. What were they over? I don't even remember.

I do remember one fight that occured at the end of the first day of classes in grade 12 in the grad parking lot. There was about 45 (roughly) of us standing around still sobering up from grad sleep over the night before. Our group was 99% white. We had 1 black guy, 2 japanese and 1 half chinese/white kid- who did not look chinese at all, kind of like Keanu Reeves.

Any way, we were standing in the parking lot just shooting the shit in small groups. Then, into the lot drives 3 car loads of persian kids, from a different school. They got out and formed into a pack, like most kids do (you notice how close teenagers stand in groups?)- they made their way up to us, so we naturally made a closed formation as well.

One of the Persians, who calls himself the 'Raven' came up to my buddy Sean. The Raven's older brother was a member of Perisian Pride, some stupid gang from North Vancouver. He said to Sean "I heard you called my pal here a bitch at a party". Sean, being the comedian he was, laughed and said "that happened in the middle of the summer, it was so long ago, you still remember"?

(At this party, Sean was shoulder checked by the persian dude, Sean gave his Ace Ventura impression (facial exp​ressions and accent) and said "watch out....Bitch". It was funny and stupid at the same time. The persian kid did not think so, so he gave the standard persian retaliation, which was a long and cold stare. Sean was stared down!)

Back to the parking lot scene, The Raven and Sean shared some words. The Raven spoke in a cold serious manner, and Sean was just being silly. Next thing- The Raven SLAPS Sean across the face, a bitch slap, I guess it was sort of like saying "whose the Bitch now".

Next thing you know, we all encircle the persians and a giant fight starts. Shirt collars were over strectched, bloody lips, red faces, messed up hair etc..

After about a good 2 minute and 30 seconds - (thats pretty long for a big teenage fight) the Persians ran back to there cars calling us names and laughing. They left. In the end I'm sure they went back to their school, Carson Graham I think it was, and told the girls they won. We did the same thing.

The fight had started because two guys could not settle and apoligize a simple little tift. But we ended up fighting and as a result re-enforcing our hatred for eachother.

I was 17 at the time. I'm now 22. It's been awhile since highschool. After highschool I calmed down. I realized that Persians adults do not pick fights and don't seek to harm me. I also realized that the Persian empire fell many years ago and nobody really calls themselves Persians. My racist outlook petered out and I no no longer worry about a car load of Middle Eastern males attacking me.

So you see. I'm now less of a racist than I was in highschool. But some of the minor traits I still possess. Like slow asian drivers in the fast lane. 8 times out of 10 it's an asian lady driving a mercedes going the speed limit!!. Or if I see a young black guy driving a blinged out ride with gold on his wrist, I'll assume he's a pimp- but I blame rap for that.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 07 November 2004 - 04:21 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#29 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:58 AM

Just because you're in the fast lane is no reason to speed. Unless things are different in Canada, you drive the speed limit in the fastlane, and if you want to go slower you get in the other lane/s.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#30 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 07 November 2004 - 01:23 PM

I love that rebel pilots photo. Attentive droids, Luke in street clothes, hairstyles. I also see a resemblance to another forum member. The best part is Han hanging cool like he's been there before.

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size