Chefelf.com Night Life: Lamest Element? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Lamest Element? Pick the lamest part of the new trilogy.

Poll: What is the Lamest Element of the New Star Wars Movies?

What is the Lamest Element of the New Star Wars Movies?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 07 November 2003 - 10:00 PM

I tried to read Zahn's books but their still like a novelization to me -- a script in prose form. Literature, as a different medium, achieves its end through ideas that get the brain to create images in the mind that are particular to my experience. I get tired of reading books that read like a movie. That's just me though.

I feel so isolated because most people simply want the simple escape a book provides. I like books that challenge me to think in a different way or which show me new ways to express ideas. So far, only Shatterpoint has challenged me in this way. (I will admit that I haven't read many SW books.)
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

#17 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 16 November 2003 - 12:31 AM

Which lame song at the end was more of a crowd pleaser? the original JEDI ewoks singing "DAH-DAH! da-da, da-Daaaahhhh-da..." or the gunguns' instrumental "da da, da da da da da da dah da; da da, da da da da da da dah da...?"

my young nephews really liked the latter. I liked the fireworks/x-wings flyby of the former but not the stormtrooper helmet xylophone. HATED the boss nass Gazing ball

#18 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 16 November 2003 - 08:16 PM

the stormtrooper xylophone is okay. the ewoks kicking storm trooper ass is not.

to give the ewocks an edge, they should have been playing a skull xylophone.

someone brought up the Star Wars role playing game. has anyone here played it. I did! i made alot of enemies, i screwed over several huts, assasinated key characters, but the real bitch was fighting storm troopers, there like warhammer marines, Imperial troops have height reqirements, training req. all sorts of crap you have to endure to be one! and when i went to the movies at the age of 7 or 8 and saw ROTJ i was disgusted that the ewoks took out so many storm troopers and AT&T walkers (or whatever there called). i did like the ewoks when they captured our heros and threatened to eat them, when they distracted a couple of unprepared scouts, and where inpressed by C3P0s stories. but the rest was just too much.

The big blue balls...
Just Sad.

as for the poll, i selected dialogue!
Hayden C is a crap actor, but then maybe i'm wrong. I don't think i could have acted well delivering those lame ass lines!!! "this sands rough and gets in the crack of your ass, your hair's pretty, fancy a snog?"

like harrison ford said to lucas "you can write this crap down but you can't get people to say it!"

#19 User is offline   Hoth Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:33 AM

I cannot believe Midichlorians didn't run away with this, though they are a "respectable" second place.

I would think if there was any one part of the prequels that completely violated what the OT represented to SO many Star Wars fans, it would be this shocker. If I had to choose a single element of the PT that I would not accept, this would be it. (thank God I'm not forced to choose only one) What's worse is he hits you with it in the very first film, he didn't even give you time to accept the travesty unfolding before your eyes that was TPM before sweet little Anakin asks "Master, sir. I heard Master Yoda talking about midi-chlorians. I was wondering, what are midi-chlorians?" To this day I wish I had never listened to Qui-Gon's response.

#20 User is offline   DoccGero Icon

• New Cop

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:52 AM

A five year old thread! It's like going back in time to see what fans thought before ROTS hit the big screen.

I would say midichlorians... but there's something else that bugged me just as much if not more than that sci-fi, realisitic interpretation of the Force. That is the Virgin Birth of Anakin. I'm going to admit something that might seem funny. When I first watched TPM, and Shmi said: "There was no father. I carried him, I gave birth to him, and I raised him" (something to that effect), I always assumed it was Shmi telling Qui-Gon that she was either raped or was drunk in a cantina when Anakin was conceived... and that the father didn't exist -to her.-

As time went on I discovered that line from Shmi was to be taken very literally, and that was a disappointment. I suddenly saw that for the rip-off of the New Testament that it was. (Yes there are other virigin births in other religions, such as Krishna in Hinduism, but Lucas used to be a Methodist...)

Now we have this brat of a man, that's supposed to be based off of Jesus Christ, who had a virgin birth, and was destined to bring balance to the Force and bring salvation to the galaxy in Return of the Jedi. There's problems with this:

1. He's a brat of a man as Anakin, like I mentioned.
2. He becomes EVIL.
3. At no point in any of the films except for that last part of ROTJ is he anywhere NEAR Christ-like.

Why not give Anakin a father? Maybe he could be deceased in episode 1, but we hear about his exploits and adventures in the prequel trilogy, like we heard of Anakin's in the classic trilogy. That would give the impression that the Skywalker family have ALWAYS been strong in the force dating back to many generations.

But naw. They had to go the easy, uninteresting, and predictable route.

This post has been edited by DoccGero: 10 January 2009 - 09:55 AM

#21 User is offline   Hoth Icon

• New Cop

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:59 PM

Why not give Anakin a father? Maybe he could be deceased in episode 1, but we hear about his exploits and adventures in the prequel trilogy, like we heard of Anakin's in the classic trilogy. That would give the impression that the Skywalker family have ALWAYS been strong in the force dating back to many generations.

But naw. They had to go the easy, uninteresting, and predictable route.

You know I have never heard this perspective but I would have to say I completely agree with it...I would think that a backstory of how Anakin's father was a powerful Jedi (or at least was strong in the Force) would be a much more interesting storyline than an obvious rip-off of the Bible. Although I don't mind the Biblical undertones (I feel as though they add real depth to the story) the fact that he made it SO obvious in the PT just makes it overbearing, and as you said it, uninteresting...a little (actually a lot) more subtlety would have been nice...like in the OT you had the same undercurrents but they weren't front-n-center like they are in the PT. It's like he (G.L.) didn't take the time to write a good story so he just used something everyone was familiar with as filler. I must say good call that would exactly have been the better way to go...or at least if you had to stick with the whole "virgin birth" thing, not to have it be so in-your-face. This was suppose to be a story about a galaxy far, far away, not a Bible lesson.

I agree with the point on Anakin's character as well, you would think that someone who was suppose to eventually bring "good" to the galaxy, would have at least been "somewhat" of a good person. Again, just another inconsistency. We all knew that eventually he would turn to the dark side but there is just never a point on the PT where you think, "you know, Anakin's not such a bad guy." He's nothing short of a complete prick!!! I can see G.L.'s thinking now, "let's see, we'll have him be the result of a virgin birth, like Christ, but have his personality be more like Satan! Yes! That will fit perfectly and no one will see the irony of it!!!" What an idiot...

This post has been edited by Hoth: 10 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

#22 User is offline   Toru-chan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (Hoth @ Jan 11 2009, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This was suppose to be a story about a galaxy far, far away, not a Bible lesson.

There have been too many movies with The Prophecy / The Chosen One /etc. Yawn.

#23 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (Toru-chan @ Jan 10 2009, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There have been too many movies with The Prophecy / The Chosen One /etc. Yawn.

Yeah, New Line Cinema is good at churning these out.

As for the comments about the "virgin birth" of Anakin, I too think it was stuffed in our faces much like a vast number of events in the PT. There really were no undertones in the PT... except for what fanboys argue over and that's mainly "is Palps the father of Anakin or not?" But that argument goes nowhere because if he was, then he would have raised Anakin straight up the way he raised Maul, not had him live to be a slave so that he was "coincedentally" picked up by a Jedi (no less) as a result of a race. Then later, to be almost run over by Maul!

I think a filial approach would have been better with a few lineages thrown in for good measure, but would that sound a little too much like Lord of the Rings? I can see a situation like "Here's Luke, son of Anakin Skywalker, who's the son of this (Place silly name here) Skywalker. And we all know he was a serious Jedi that did this to the thing, and burned that thing there..." But that starts to sound like "Aragorn, son of Arathorn... blah blah blah, Isildurs heir, had the Ring"

Don't really know the best way to place Anakin's history, but I still think that it probably would have been best never to even see him so young.

#24 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:49 PM

In JYAMG's legendary "Unearthing the Fossil" thread, he delved pretty heavily into what we already knew about Anikin's past, much of which was undermined in the prequels. The moist significant bit for me of course is that Obi-Wan described him as a "great pilot" when he first met him. In order to keep the truth of that. Lucas had the little moppet race an experimental pod car and accidentally fly a fighter plane into a war zone (under the care of Qui-Gon Gin, the galaxy's worst babysitter). Much better, IMO, would have been to have introduced Anikin as a skilled pilot in something like, I don't know, a war.

I'm sure a lot of us had ideas about what Lucas might do with his prequel stories. We were naturally all wrong. The only way they could be any good would be if they were at least a little bit unpredictable. So, ok. Lucas seems to have taken THAT notion and stretched it so wide it's only a molecule thick. "Anikin will be ... 8 years old! And half the movie will take place on Tatooine! Darth Vader built C3PO! Virgin birth! Monastic rites! Little insect guys! They'll never see any of this coming!"

"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#25 User is offline   Mr Pye Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:50 PM

Before the prequels I always assumed that Owen was Anakins brother and Lukes real uncle. I can't remeber that this assumption was ever contraticted in the old trilogy.

This would mean Anakins and Owens father was most likely a farmer though he may have had other tendencies in his youth. So back then Luke not only grew up in humble surroundings but was also of common blood (There's probably a better way to put that) and was still able to channel the force as well as or better than anyone. It was usually explained as believing in the force, or trusting your feelings.

The prequels with their virgin birth, midichlorian count and having Anakin a jedi long before he met Owen seems to me in almost every way the diametrical opposite of the old trilogy.

Perhaps the difference makes more sense if one starts by assuming the prequel way and then try to fit the old trilogy?

No!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size