Chefelf.com Night Life: The most ridiculous orc. - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

The most ridiculous orc. Sorry. I was bored.

Poll: What was the most ridiculous orc in The Lord of the Rings trilogy?

What was the most ridiculous orc in The Lord of the Rings trilogy?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jul 19 2004, 01:46 PM)
They're cut from the same cloth in the first film in a way we don't get to see again, which is why so many of this series's female fans preferred Eowyn, and resented Arwen's hold on his heart.

You know, Civ, I not as much as resented it, but I just was very baffled about it. I knew the books, of course, and I knew what will happen in the end. But as I am hopelessly romantic, I always watch closely those scenes related to romance (and, as you may notice, Eowyn IS my favourite character smile.gif ).

So, I tried to look at all scenes involving her and Aragorn. And I came to the conclusion, that there is something strange here. Aragorn DID give up Arwen in TTT. Remember the scene where they lead their horses? What she basically asks Aragorn is "Look, I know it is impossible for a guy so attractive as you not to have a romantic interest. Is she prettier than me?" And he answeres
"Well, she is. Unfortunately, she also has a very persuasive father who convinced her not to mix up with lower races such as us humans."
"Uh, good. So I still have a chance?"

And there is what happened in theatrical version. At the end of the film, during that superfluous speech of Sam, Aragon actually comes to her with an exp​ression on his face "Well, ok. here I am".
No wonder she is hurt and puzzled in the ROTK. And are we to believe it all happened because he had a dream about Arwen? Why exactly he suddenly rejected quite an attractive girl from a royal family? As far as I remember, he didn't get to meet Elrond only after he basically chucked Eowyn. So it just did not add up for me.

And then.. then I saw EE and I understood. It was because of that stew! You cannot fall in love with a girl who forces you to eat something like that. I thought this scene was totally, totally unnecessary. A princess from a royal family to cook herself? Didn't she have servants, ladies in waiting, and such stuff? Silly, silly, idiotic scene.

And then I cannot forgive Jackson for cutting out Faramir and Eowyn. Here is a guy who lost everything, his father, brother, his kingdom, everything, and he is just brushed off to the side and smiles widely at the coronation of an unknown usurper. And she, she loved Aragorn so much, and now does not blink at him slogging an elf who allegedly chucked him.

It is supposed to be different in EE, but I just hate to fork out something like 20% of my monthly income to see that. I think I will wait for the next version of the book. I think in 40 years someone will have another go at it.

#32 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2004 - 07:19 PM

And we'll all line up to watch it all over again. Yes, you may be right. As for what you said above, I agree with most of it too. However, Elrond actually met Aragorn again before he broke Eowyn's heart - so it makes a little more sense. But still, I get where you're coming from. I certainly saw more sparks between Viggo and Miranda than I did between Viggo and Liv.

Yes, with the staff breaking. There.

Thanks Civilian. You're the best, mate.

#33 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 20 July 2004 - 07:40 PM

It's funny, the Smeagol/Deagol scene in ROTK I felt was the best scene in the movie. It was powerful and set the tone for Gollum and for a possible fate of our ring-bearer. It was a shame the rest of the movie wasn't as powerful as that first scene.

#34 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2004 - 12:31 AM

One of the strangest things about the inclusion of that scene in Return of the King, and I neglected to mention this before, is that they start the movie with a scene to make us further sympathise with Gollum... and then they go to great lengths, deviating from the book, to turn Gollum into an unsympathetic 2-Dimensional villain.

That whole part about him gratuitously tormenting Sam by tricking Frodo into sending him home completely undermined all the work that went into The Two Towers and the opening sequence of this film to make him sympathetic.

When I watched The Two Towers, I anticipated a very emotional finale where Gollum effectively sacrificed himself to destroy the ring because Frodo failed at the test.

But the film-makers made sure that wasn't a problem - working hard so that when Gollum finally died, I couldn't muster any feelings for him at all. If anything, I was just glad to be rid of him.

Perhaps the Extended Edition will show that this new character was an imposter who killed the original Gollum. Because he certainly could not have been the same character we saw in The Two Towers.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size