• (4 Pages)
  • +

ZP: XBLA Double Bill

#16 User is offline   ftr Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:47 PM

Do I just suck at games, or is gunstar heroes really unfairly hard?

#17 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:That place thats close to the thing you know the one

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:49 PM

Me an my buddies didn't have too much trouble with it but then we usually cranked the difficulty down so it didn't take hours to complete.
QUOTE (arien @ Jun 29 2008, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this baby, while still inside its mother, murdered his twin brother and STOLE HIS PENIS.

That is one badass baby.

#18 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (reiner @ Sep 24 2008, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Game so good, I bought it twice! Go go color dungeon!

Philistine, you were supposed to fill in the colours in your mind!

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#19 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:59 PM

And totally make up the dungeon that didn't exist in the original GB release? Oh man... I'm such a fool *pounds the dirt with a clenched fist*

#20 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (reiner @ Sep 24 2008, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And totally make up the dungeon that didn't exist in the original GB release?

That's what we all did!

#21 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE (reiner @ Sep 24 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And totally make up the dungeon that didn't exist in the original GB release? Oh man... I'm such a fool *pounds the dirt with a clenched fist*

Yes, yes you are.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#22 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:09 PM

Simple answer to YZs nostalgia-rant:
Any 2D Sonic game is better than any 3D Sonic game, possibly with the exceptions of Sonic Adventure 1/2.

Now, I need to fix my Mega Drive joystick, because they cost a fortune on eBay, I have no money, and said joystick kicked arse.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#23 User is offline   saturnine Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

bionic commando was the only nes game i could get through. i personally hated the nes and the sega genesis, so i don't suffer nostalgia for them. the super nintendo was good because everything that came out felt so much more responsive.

#24 User is offline   FFreak3 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:05 PM

heh, I actually enjoy NES and SNES a helluvalot more than todays games.
As in, I still crack them out, and would much rather cry with fury at Golden Silver on Expert Mode than to get through the exceedingly dull TP. Even OoT was kinda boring. The Adventures of Link? Best Zelda game! I still play it, and am actually currently working on finishing ZC:II, The Shadowlands, because the bastard who started it abandoned it mid-way. Heck, I only just finished ZC:I.
I enjoyed bionic commando myself, because although the lack of jumping was annoying, it was really fun.

I could go on for ages, but the fact of the matter is: I really can't get into todays games. I tried to, I really did, but I cannot find any justification for buying any of the new consoles. Even the new computer games disappoint me.

Yes, we have the potential to make these old games better, and we should . . . but with the original idea and production values, not with our new fangled ideas.
(And sometimes, the lack of graphics or tools made everything more serious in early games . . . For graphics in particular, monsters became a lot more scary or awesome because your mind made up for their shortcomings. Doesn't really work when the artist just tries to be "dark" or "vague", (which is more annoying than anything in a 3d environment), or when the graphics suck because he's lazy, (okay, sometimes that works). For tools, I'm thinking mostly about how the controls for games had to be simplified to only a few buttons, or work in im-perfect ways. Like "Hovertank" (c64). The game was nothing, but the clumsy controls for it made it fun.)

#25 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:49 PM

WHOA WHOA what the fuck? Sunshine is inferior in every way to Super Mario 64. The latter game was innovative, groundbreaking and full of variety, whereas Sunshine was the same people thinking they could rehash 64 with a few gimmicks and no-one would notice. Apparently Yahtzee didn't and he is a fool for buying into it.

#26 User is offline   Poplopo Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:16 PM

Yeah that's kind of a point that Yahtzee failed to bring up, which is that innovation pales over time. Mario 64 and Sunshine might be almost exactly the same thing, but Mario 64 was better because it was doing new, original things at the time. I don't think we all thought those old crappy games were good because we were stupid. It was probably because there was nothing better. Remember when Donkey Kong for the SNES came out? Its graphics were awesome. Of course they look crappy compared to what we have now, but that doesn't mean they don't have merit.

This post has been edited by Poplopo: 24 September 2008 - 05:16 PM

#27 User is offline   ftr Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (Poplopo @ Sep 24 2008, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but Mario 64 was better because it was doing new, original things at the time.

Like showing us just how bad a 3D camera could be?

I honestly believe it was worse than Sonic Adventure's. And THAT is saying something.

Yes M64 was fun... but it wasn't REALLY that good, IMO. I haven't played Sunshine so I can't compare.

#28 User is offline   Chiphead Icon

• New Cop

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:32 PM

While I'm a Super Nintendo fan, Yahtzee made some of good points that sum up what I thought of Contra 4: there are just some things about old-school gaming that don't work in 2008, namely artificially inflating the game's length with cheap deaths and limited continues.

#29 User is offline   HMC Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (AdamM @ Sep 24 2008, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WHOA WHOA what the fuck? Sunshine is inferior in every way to Super Mario 64. The latter game was innovative, groundbreaking and full of variety, whereas Sunshine was the same people thinking they could rehash 64 with a few gimmicks and no-one would notice. Apparently Yahtzee didn't and he is a fool for buying into it.

The point Yahtzee was trying to make was that even if Mario 64 was unique and amazing at the time, and even if Sunshine didn't revolutionize the genre (I mean what did you expect anyway, a 4th dimension?), that doesn't mean that Sunshine isn't a better game from an objective standpoint.

#30 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:57 PM

64 is the better game. In Sunshine the amount of times I had to climb up a hill into a mysterious cave, or fall down a mysterious hole, or enter a mysterious building, just to be greeted with that overused movie of Shadow Mario stealing FLUDD and another fucking platforming sequence is proof enough that the designers were phoning it in this time around.

This post has been edited by AdamM: 24 September 2008 - 05:58 PM

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size