Chefelf.com Night Life: Burnout trophies - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

Burnout trophies Criterion a bunch of bloody liars

#1 User is offline   ftr Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:05 AM

So, Criterion released the trophy update for Burnout Paradise. Throughout the development process we were reassured that the trophies would be retroactive (i.e. when the update was installed, the game would check off what you've already done and award you the trophy. Warhawk implemented this without worry).

Guess what? The bastards were lying through their back teeth. To get the trophies for stuff you've already done, you've got to start a new game. Which is not so bad for people like me who only got it recently, but there's people who've beaten most, if not everything, there is to do.

I know in the grand scheme of things this doesn't matter but it REALLY irks me when a developer says one thing and does another. I'm sure they decided a long time ago they wouldn't be retroactive... so why did they not announce this?

Thanks, Criterion. Thanks, EA.

#2 User is offline   Man Of Doom Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:30 AM

I thought all trophies would require you to do everything again to avoid cheating, because save games can be so easily transferred with the PS3.
I guess warhawk is different because it's all online so they'd have stuff to do with trophies already recorded.

But yeah, it's bad to lie to your audience.
LOVE, the source of all evil:
League Of Villains

#3 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:33 AM

It's a simple business matter, since only idiots make a fuss about it. They decided to simply not care for idiots and extend their product's lifecycle by encouraging everyone to play it again.

That's what trophies, achievements and what not are for, in case anyone thought differently.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#4 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:36 AM

I don't really know why they are bothering, I used to be into Gamerscore, but since moving back to the PC gaming scene, it really doesn't matter to me.

But, my main issue though, is that the PS3 came out a year after the 360, they had plenty of time to add it in from day one. Why did they wait so long to add functionality, that has existed in their main rival's system since it was release?

#5 User is offline   ftr Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Sep 25 2008, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a simple business matter, since only idiots make a fuss about it. They decided to simply not care for idiots and extend their product's lifecycle by encouraging everyone to play it again.

That's what trophies, achievements and what not are for, in case anyone thought differently.

Yes, we all know that's why they're there. I'm mainly pissed off that Criterion decided to lie blatantly about it right up until the day of release.

#6 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:That place thats close to the thing you know the one

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:42 AM

FYI EA would tell you that buying their game gives you blowjobs and cures cancer if they thought it would separate you from your money. They lie. Its what they do.
QUOTE (arien @ Jun 29 2008, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this baby, while still inside its mother, murdered his twin brother and STOLE HIS PENIS.

That is one badass baby.

#7 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:49 AM

No such thing as bad publicity.

Like I said, those who already bought it and make a fuss about it are idiots. Those who already bought it and don't make a fuss about it simply can't be bothered or aren't informed. Those who didn't already buy it won't think about the hurt feelings of the whining folks, unless they're explicitly informed about it by an effective, emotional campaign. Otherwise they'll only notice that this is now a feature that would be available to them directly at purchase.

That's only the basic stuff, I can't be bothered to check the validity of their press releases to verify the supposed villainy behind it all. Probably just some tech limitations or a forgetful PR assistant, they'll have enough of convenient options for making excuses at their disposal.

This post has been edited by Gobbler: 25 September 2008 - 08:53 AM

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#8 User is offline   ftr Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:51 AM

Now that I've chilled a little, I can see your point. I'm just annoyed at having to start again if I wish to have trophies for what I've already done.

Also, to the person who mentioned cheating by downloading saves: There's something about burnouts saves that stops that being possible, actually. Or at least makes it incredibly difficult.

#9 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:36 PM

It's EA... What did you expect?
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#10 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2008 - 06:40 PM

That's so weird you just said that... on another forum I just posted pretty much that exact statement.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size