Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

Rumored Changes for Episode V "Empire Strikes Back" 2005 DVD release

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 21 November 2003 - 08:13 PM

*Keep in mind that these are merely rumored changes. They have been taken from theforce.net.

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

1. The taun-tauns are now CG.

2. The battle of Hoth is much more epic. We see the Imperial ships land on Hoth and release AT-ATs. The AT-ATs have been sped up a bit. There's a ground battle between the Rebel soldiers and stormtroopers featuring new ships and vehicles.

3. Temuera Morrison's voice is being recorded for the older Boba Fett and all the stormtroopers.

4. The white boxes around space ships have been removed.

5. The slug monster is CG.

6. Ian McDiarmid has refilmed scenes as the Emperor. The conversations between Vader and Palpatine is now longer and features a few connections to the prequels.

7. Yoda's face is now animated in CG allowing more exp​ression of emotions yet his movements remain the same. Also two deleted scenes featuring Yoda instructing Luke have been restored.

8. A new scene was shot in which the stormtroopers, after they capture Han, Leia and Chewie, bring Vader the box containing C-3PO in pieces. Vader orders the stormtroopers to bring the broken droid to Chewbacca's cell so that he can fix him.

9. The lightsaber effects have been redone in certain parts.

10. Luke's fall from Cloud City has been reshot against bluescreen using a stuntman.

Lucas has denied that these rumors are true and in reading them you can pretty much see why. Most of them are dreadful beyond imagination but after seeing Special Edition, The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones anything is possible.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 22 November 2003 - 04:49 AM

I think it was a testament to the general superiority of EMPIRE that when they went back to do the Special Editions, they didn't really add much. As a purist, I think the films ought to be left alone, but I have to asmit I liked the open windows in cloud city instead of the murals; it made the place seem more like what it was, a city in the clouds. And the extended pop-car sequencxe, so that the car we see flying becomes the car that passes the window, was very cute. I think this film needs no further revisiting, and of course Lucas denies that the Original Trilogy will suffer any further tampering. Therefore my bitching:

1,5,7: Redoing model effects with CGI is just dumb. Yeah, the Tauntauns don't look very real, but that was the movie that was. You can't go back and "up to the minute" everything. That would be like John Hughes going back and putting Fifty Cent into SIXTEEN CANDLES.
2: Speaking of music, John Williams wrote some great music for the Battle of Hoth. Presumably, adding more footage would mess up the music or require new orchestration. And to what end? To extend a scene that was very well paced to begin with? Is Lucas now going to revisit films he didn't even direct and add CGI scenes for them?
3: This I don't understand. I'm happy with that.
4: Didn't they already do this?
6: Why is this necessary? Is there really something the exclusion that would be left in question without the addition of extra footage here?
8: This has to be made up.
9-10: Whatever.

Mike.

Change I would make: I would add an entirely-CG conversation between Boba Fett and Darth Vader about whose personal shuttle is the fastest. Boba would boast of having a whole fleet of really cool toys in a garage back on Coruscant. Vader would express envy.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#3 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 22 November 2003 - 08:04 AM

Sixteen Candles!

I think we just dated ourselves.

I'm interested in seeing what the Tauntauns will look like.

Now, what will se call the movies? Special Edition 1.2?
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

#4 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 22 November 2003 - 10:39 AM

Empire was the best Special edition followed by A New Hope and trailed DISTANTLY by Jedi. The additional stuff in Empire just didn't matter except for one part. Where Luke screams after falling in Cloud City. They took a noble and brave act and turned him into a screaming five-year-old who doesn't want to go to school.

And I agree that 8 has to be made up. It's just too ridiculous.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#5 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 22 November 2003 - 03:52 PM

Idk I thought Empire and ANH had two of the worst changes in the entire SE than Jedi. I mean, the new song in Jabba's Palace sucks, but it doesn't matter that much, it's just a 2 minute scene that doesn't add or detract anything, the Sarlaac Pit I think looks much better as a slug instead of a, well, vagina, and the ending is actually pretty cool, it could have been longer, but I like showing how this small little band affected the whole galaxy. A New Hope had the ridiculous Greedo scene of course, and Empire had that ridiculous scream when Luke falls, horrible however you want to look at it. I'd say all the Special Editions were about the same, since IV and V had those 2 horrible changes, and VI had the horrible musical scene. Hopefully the changes are rumors and that's all, or else this really does suck.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size