• Last »

Large Hadron Collider

#1 User is offline   Spann Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:59 AM

http://en.wikipedia....Hadron_Collider

Everyone looking forward to the end of the world?
"There comes a time in every person's life when they should learn to shut up. It is called 'birth'."

-The League Against Tedium

#2 User is offline   FFreak3 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:08 AM

*sigh*

which end of the world are you talking about, so I can go on a physics rant and correct you? (as i have been doing all over the internet this past week)

#3 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:22 AM

Earth to FFreak3: saying the Large Hadron Collider will blow up the universe is a joke designed to get the backs up of people like you.

#4 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:04 AM

Aww, but I want the end of the world! If we aren't reduced to a quantum singularity by the recklessness of science, I've got to get a job and pay my student loan back!
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#5 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (Chyld @ Sep 8 2008, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aww, but I want the end of the world! If we aren't reduced to a quantum singularity by the recklessness of science, I've got to get a job and pay my student loan back!

An alternate solution, perhaps?
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#6 User is offline   Poplopo Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:19 AM

Man I hate it when people think this hadron collider is going to end the world. If there were any actual scientists who thought it would, they probably wouldn't be doing experiments with it.

#7 User is offline   FFreak3 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (AdamM @ Sep 8 2008, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Earth to FFreak3: saying the Large Hadron Collider will blow up the universe is a joke designed to get the backs up of people like you.

No, there are people who are perfectly serious about it.

Just like there are people who are perfectly serious about global warming.

#8 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (AdamM @ Sep 8 2008, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It may have been originally, but there are plenty of people that believe it.

#9 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:13 AM

Which can be easily fixed with some patient explanation.

Just like conspiracy theories.

God I love xkcd.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#10 User is offline   FFreak3 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:49 AM

And btw, there is actually serious concern that the LHC will rearrange the forces of the universe and re-create our universe. We're re-creating the big bang, and the big bang created the fundamental forces of the universe, so it stands to some theories reasoning that it could still create new forces or change the strength of old ones, basically.

But the chances of that happening, even if the theory is correct, are lower than the chnace that the sun will go nova and kill us all in the next few minutes, so scientists aren't worried.

The black holes, on the other hand, is just people being afraid of black holes because they don't understand gravitational force or "infinitely small".

#11 User is offline   HldmeThrllmeChrs&Trlby Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:58 PM

i dnt like large hydron colliders at all. i think theres some stuff we shouldnt know.

This post has been edited by HldmeThrllmeChrs&Trlby: 09 September 2008 - 10:59 PM

i really dont ok?

#12 User is offline   Maggot4Life Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:long walks on the beach, sunsets, everything happy and sane...<br /><br />(and Death Metal, hitting things, drowning things, burning things, yelling, jumping, eating drugged scotch-fingers)

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:29 AM

Is that the machine in Switzerland that smashes atoms together to somehow recreate the big-bang? And apparently it's being tested at 6:30pm this evening.
EDIT: and people say it may create black holes the size of a basketball.

fux...

This post has been edited by Maggot4Life: 10 September 2008 - 01:34 AM

I pooped a hammer. I pooped a cornish game hen.

#13 User is offline   FFreak3 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:22 AM

It re-creates big bang like collisions by creating matter and anti-matter out of energy, which should let us track and better understand anti-matter.

It won't actually be the big bang, it'll just be energy large enough to resemble the big bang.

As for black holes . . . (hehe! I can copy/paste myself for this one . . .!)

Okay, let's educate you people a little bit about black holes.

The gravity of black holes, still depends on their mass. If their mass is only that of one particle, (which would be created with the LHC if at all), then they aren't going to grow.

If you want a formula to think it out:
Gravitational force between two objects= (gravitational constant) * (mass of one object) * (mass of the second) / (the square of the distance)

(you can arrive at 9.8 m/s^2 by putting in the mass of the earth, and the square of it's mean radius, then leaving the mass of the second object as a variable) (and yes, every two objects have a gravitational force between them. But the gravitational force is very weak and we usually don't notice gravitational attraction between normal objects.)

To fully explain this formula, let's compare a small collection of stars.

Let's call our Sun's gravity, normal gravity. At the surface, of course, because the further in you go, the less gravity affects you.
That's a tricky bit. If I go into the centre of the earth, I would be weightless because every bit of the earth would be pulling on me . . . and the forces would cancel out. When you go into a gravitational body, the part above you is no longer pulling you towards the centre now, is it?

Let's go on to a white dwarf, which is a star that has collapsed. Typically, these weigh as much as the sun, but are only as big as earth in diameter.
Well, if we go out as far a sun radius from the centre of the dwarf, how much will it pull us in?
Right, the same amount! The same distance, the same mass, what do you see in the formula that could otherwise effect?
But! We can get much, much closer to the white dwarf than we can get to the sun. At the surface of the white dwarf, although it has the same mass as the sun, it has a much stronger gravitational pull.

The next up is a neutron star.
These things are tiny. About 10-20 kilometres of radius. And, can be a little over twice the sun's mass.
So, at a sun radius, you would have twice the gravity of the sun.
At the distance equal to a white dwarf's radius, you would have twice the gravity of the white dwarf.
But again, you can get much closer to the neutron star before you start going inside it.

Now, we have a black hole. Let's say it's the mass of the sun.
A black hole is infinitely small. So, AT a black hole, there is infinite gravity.
But, a sun's radius away, it only has the gravity of the sun. A white dwarf's radius away, it only has the gravity of a white dwarf. A neutron star's radius away, it only has half the gravity of the neutron star.
If we were to replace the sun with a black hole of the same mass, the planets would more or less continue their familiar orbits. The gravitational force would not change.
That is, black holes can support planets and asteroids. The chance of the planets being "sucked into" the black hole is about the same chance earth has of being sucked into the sun.

Now, let's examine the black holes that may be made by the LHC.
To put it blankly, they weigh much, much less then the monitor you are staring at. Are your head and the monitor noticeably gravitationally attracted?
Now what gives you the idea that a single particle black hole would attract anything? Before it even has a gravitational pull noticeable on the sub-atomic level, it would be need to be huge. We're talking, it could be a new tiny, but visible, moon in orbit if it wasn't a black hole. We could dispose of all our trash into a black hole for millenia and not worry about the black hole sucking us in. Do garbage dumps draw you near with their mass? We actually would have a problem getting the trash close enough to the black hole to be absorbed.

Anything made in the LHC will be so small, all of the black holes made by it could zip through us thousands of times and we wouldn't notice. Better yet, any black holes made in the LHC would be equivalent to the black holes made in our atmosphere every day y reactions between the atmosphere and the energy from the sun. And those don't bother us at all.

The REAL worry about the LHC is that - oh, this is hard to word properly, let's hope no physicists are reading - new forces may be created, or old forces changed in way that destroys our universe. That we might make a big bang, so to speak, and re-create the universe. That sounds nice, but I don't think we have the proper safety equipment quite yet, neh?
But the chance of that happening is much lower than the chance that the sun would explode in the next few minutes and end all life on earth, so scientists aren't worried.

and finally . . . black holes the size of basketballs? That indicates that you have no fucking clue what a black hole is. Black holes are collapsed energy. This means they have no shape, form, and take up no space. They are, in effect, an infinitely small point in space. Infinitely small. The only way to describe their size is to describe their mass.
You see, in the formation of a black hole, the atoms get squished so close together that their force of gravity pulls them really close. Which causes it to get stronger, and pulls them closer, and closer, until the force of gravity is so strong that the atoms collapse into energy, (read: into particle-forms with energy but no form, in this case, plasma), which lets them come so close together that they describe a mathematical point.
You should be able to understand the gravity bit from the above rant.

Anyone think I should go on a rant to Hidme explaining the study of knowledge, the nature of man's knowledge, and his ability to learn? I'll hit across math, some philosophy, disprove most religions and take 6 pages while ranting.

#14 User is offline   Man Of Doom Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:58 AM

Wow, you really like explaining things don't you?
Not that it's bad, it's just, wow.
LOVE, the source of all evil:
League Of Villains

#15 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:13 AM

Yeah, the test has already happened and we are not obliterated. Granted, they haven't started tossing protons in there yet, but every explanation I've heard regarding its safety seems much more reasonable than the typical "BLARG! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!" crap.
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size