• (3 Pages)
  • +

Clothing Glory

#1 User is offline   Mist Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Post icon  Posted 14 May 2004 - 02:21 AM

Prom's on Saturday (a formal dance, in case you don't call it prom in other locales around the world), my gf wants to go, and I'm curious as to what it will be like, so I need formalwear. We went to this little place that makes formalwear (kind of quaint little place). The tailor lady was asking me a bunch of questions.

"How tall are you?" "Uh...157cm (I responded in US measurements, though) last time I checked, which was a while ago." "oh." *Measurements are taken* "You are 168cm now" "oh..."

Then came the main question I wish to focus on in this post:

"How much do you weigh?" "Uh...59kg, 64kg? Again, I haven't checked in a long time, so I'm just throwing out random guesses to help account for the height/weight ratio." "You're helpful." "No problem." At this point, Mum decided to intervene and help me. "What? 64kg? No way! You probably weigh closer to 82-86kg. Maybe even 91kg." *awkward silence in which everyone stared at Mum, and she looked around innocently* Finally, Mum said, "Well, ok. Let's just say 64 on the form...."

I don't really enjoy shopping much anyway, but that was kind of an awkward moment, in my opinion. A couple days later, I happened to be in the vicinity of a scale, and I wondered about that incident. I weighed myself and found out that I weigh about 59kg. So thanks to Mum for making me feel fantastic about myself for a while. dry.gif

This post has been edited by Mist: 14 May 2004 - 03:28 AM

I'm comfortably numb.

Jimbo: We had to kill them to keep them from going extinct.

#2 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 14 May 2004 - 03:07 AM

Prom: one of many activities that I don't regret not partaking in while in high school.

#3 User is offline   Mist Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2004 - 03:16 AM

I went to a school formal last year, but not prom. I don't know if there's a difference, but at the formal, a couple of us got everyone to do the hokey pokey. happy.gif That amused me, but I mostly just enjoyed being with my date. That was fun, so I'm wondering: Is there any big difference, in your opinion, between other formals and proms other than the age group?

This post has been edited by Mist: 14 May 2004 - 03:30 AM

I'm comfortably numb.

#4 User is offline   SkinnedAlive Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:11 AM

I hate formal events. Way too much effort involved... dry.gif

#5 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 14 May 2004 - 10:43 AM

I agree with Skinny. Why pay to enter a place that you're normally glad to leave?

At least, the prom over here had an admission fee. I'm just assuming it's like that everywhere.

#6 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 14 May 2004 - 11:17 AM

Most schools sell tickets to the prom, as they do to most of the yearly dances.
Anyway, I'm not saying that prom can't be fun. I didn't go because I hated every inch of my high school, and would just as soon prefer to see it go up in flames than ever set foot in that accursed building again. However, if you don't share the same thoughts, and have somebody to go with, then I hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy the evening.

#7 User is offline   Mist Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2004 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ May 14 2004, 12:07 AM)
Prom: one of many activities that I don't regret partaking in while in high school.

Ah, I misunderstood you, Hecc. I thought you did go to the prom since you said that you didn't regret partaking in it. My apologies.

I actually don't care for many of the people who will be there, but I do think the school, itself, was pretty spiffy. The problem is, the people will be there, and I won't really have to interact with the school that much. However, she really wants to go. If it weren't for that, I probably wouldn't go because of all the hassle that skinny mentioned. Although I don't mind dressing up for the evening, the buying everything and the preparations are somewhat tiresome. It's free. It's an arts school, so it makes its money from gallery openings, plays, concerts, poetry readings, etc. I also think it was fun because, since it is an arts school, most of the people are trained to dance (we were required to learn at least the basics of every artform), which, I would assume, makes for more interesting watching and joining in than at another school. I don't speak from experience, though. Also, it'll be an excellent opportunity to study peoples' psychology in that kind of a setting if I get bored. I can understand all of your misgivings about prom though. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Mist: 14 May 2004 - 12:37 PM

I'm comfortably numb.

#8 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 14 May 2004 - 12:38 PM

My prom's in a month or two, and I actually have to ask the girl I'm taking with me this time round.

WARNING NOW: Opening Heart. Avoid if allergic to Sentiment.

I'm in Year 13 now, last year before I leave for University. Yahtz can translate it into American, since he might know. Since Year 11, there has been this girl who has been The One And Only. You know, as Rhubarb to Yahtz, for example. Incomprable. Etc.

Basically, our Year 11 Prom was coming around, and I had to pluck up the nerve to ask her.

I didn't.

But so many people were prompting me to in front of her, it was taken as a given, and she said Yes.

While it was One of Those Nights, it still bites ass that I didn't ask her myself. Desipte the fact that we ended going out for a short time the day afterwards.

In the two years between, its been ups and downs, and I might cover it in my blog one day. For now tho, we went up, down a bit, up high, down low, and been progrssing up slowly ever since.

Now I think we're close (God Forbid! Chyld getting Close to a Woman?), and its nearly Prom Time.

So I have to ask, in person, to face. And its no easier.

Plus, I need to get new suit bottems, since at my 18th, I wore my suit, got legendarily drunk (as you should at your own 18th), and ruined the knees. But that's not so hard as asking, really.

There, Bleeding Heart over for now. Mist can go "ahhh...", Jane can be critical, and everyone else can do whatever...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#9 User is offline   Mist Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2004 - 12:45 PM

I'm like that too, except without the drunk part. How did you ever anticipate my reaction? wink.gif It is cute, though. happy.gif Actually, I just asked this girl out, and that was really hard. My last girlfriend had to ask me out because I could never work up the nerve. Go for it, Chyld. It should be fine. We love you on here. At least I do. Jane wants to pound you with a meat tenderizer or something. It's all out of love, though. laugh.gif *hugs to chyld because he's here and he's being all cute* In America, that's the same as senior year, or 12th grade, if it's right before uni.

This post has been edited by Mist: 14 May 2004 - 12:48 PM

I'm comfortably numb.

#10 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 14 May 2004 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (Mist @ May 14 2004, 06:45 PM)
I'm like that too, except without the drunk part. How did you ever anticipate my reaction? wink.gif It is cute, though. happy.gif Actually, I just asked this girl out, and that was really hard. My last girlfriend had to ask me out because I could never work up the nerve. Go for it, Chyld. It should be fine. *hugs to chyld because he's here and he's being all cute*

What, ruining suits? I didn't think that was your style, Mist...

It shouldn't be hard, but the fact is, there's so many factors, and so much history (some of which I'm forbidden to tell...), that I'm scared to get close. But people are telling me that now is the time, so I might just have to pop not one, but two questions...

*returns the hug*
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#11 User is offline   Mist Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2004 - 01:10 PM

dry.gif Actually, I was referring to the asking girls out aspect of your story, but I ruin clothes too.

*counter hugs chyld*
I'm comfortably numb.

#12 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 15 May 2004 - 09:16 PM

I didn't go to my senior prom, but now I'm kind of regretting it, mainly because my best friend - who did go - said it had actually been a lot of fun.

My big problem though, I hate dresses. They are evil, they make me look silly, and I have to go out and buy one for graduation on the 22nd. I honestly don't see the point of it all, I mean, I'm going to be wearing a big, billowy purple robe over it, so who's going to notice anyway? I have a perfectly nice pair of black dress pants that would work just fine, thank you very much, but apparently "the dress code prohibits girls from wearing pants to the ceremony."

And just so you know Chyld, unless you do something really, really stupid that goes against common sense, I won't be very critical over the details of your love life. You actually have one, which is more than I can say about myself.
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#13 User is offline   Mist Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2004 - 10:11 PM

That would be why I wore a tux, jane. I was going to wear my dress blacks (ie work clothes), but mum said that I had to wear either a nice dress or a tuxedo to prom. I didn't want to wear a dress, so I wore a tux. It was also a pain, but not as much, in my opinion, because it allowed for more freedom of movement since my legs weren't swathed in yards of restrictive fabrics. Her dress was very pretty, though. happy.gif

This post has been edited by Mist: 16 May 2004 - 10:12 PM

I'm comfortably numb.

#14 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:05 AM

I'm not allowed to wear one, though. I'm having a hard enough time as it is convincing my mother to just let me wear my boots (which, incidentally, are allowed) instead of buying some stupid tiny dress shoes that would fall off with every other step.
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#15 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2004 - 02:52 AM

QUOTE (Jane Sherwood @ May 15 2004, 09:16 PM)
"the dress code prohibits girls from wearing pants to the ceremony."

<Begin rant>

That is just so wrong!!!! You would have thought we as people had moved past this whole idea that a woman must wear a dress on certain occasions. For crying out loud people we are supposed to be living in a free society. If Jane wants to wear pants to her graduation then she bloody well should be able too.

This sort of thing really irks me. I hope that you're able to get your way Janey and that you are able to go to your graduation looking every bit "you" that you should be "allowed" to look. Are you supposed to dress up a new personality just for this one occasion. Our attire is often very much a reflection of who we are and how we want to be seen.

I'm not overly familiar with American graduation ceremonies other than what I've seen on TV, but I don't recall them being formal occasions. As such, your dress code should be smart casual. Smart casual does not require the wearing of dresses. And to be perfectly honest even if it was formal then you could take Mist's lead and wear the tux. Your boots would go great with that as well.

<End rant>
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size