• +

Evil Dead--The Remake

#16 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:19 PM

I liked that video for Meatloaf's "Objects in the Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are," as well as the soap box racer stuff from Armageddon. But knowing how to frame a shot and to light for emotional impact is not the same as knowing how to make a watchable horror film.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#17 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:01 PM

Exactly. Just because he's put a couple of shots together that aren't entirely offensive to the eyes, that doesn't mean he'd be even remotely suited for the Evil Dead "universe". Unless you think that would be the sort of film where copious explosions and a horrible, overly-dramatic cinematic soundtrack would be welcome, and were willing to watch it with Will Smith in the lead role.

#18 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:52 PM

If Michael Bay does it, I at least will not have to worry about it being bad, I will know. Also, Rob Zombie is a horrible fit, he would fill it with rednecks and crap that doesn't really belong there. The film maker must be tender, sadistic and visually interesting.

Aesthetically, the perfect fit is Edgar Wright, frantic energetic cinematic style, characters get to shine (beautifully crafted scripts) and he doesn't seem to have his head stuck up his own ass.

I could get behind Wes Craven, if not only because of the rivalry between his Elm Street and the Evil Dead series (though that could be viewed as Sam bowing out for Wes) Red Eye showed that he can still make rad stuff, even though the ending made me shake my fist in fury.

#19 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:02 PM

Also, I do like Michael Bay for what he is. A guy that knows how to blow shit up for two hours and keep me smiling while I sit in the cinema.

#20 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:20 AM

Actually I mentioned Wes Craven because of the rivalry between Evil Dead and The Hills Have Eyes. Nightmare on Elm Street was in a whole different ballpark.

I'd give you Edgar Wright, but only if the plan were to make it a comedy. If so, then really, why remake it? Wasn't that already done with the sequels?

"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#21 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:49 PM

I believe that he is able to tackle things without comedy as a cornerstone, whether he would want to or feel confident is an entirely different matter however.

You're quite right on the Wes Craven part. They have had a bit of a shooting back and forth kind of deal, beginning with the Evil Dead having a Hills Have Eyes poster, then a shot of the Evil Dead in Nightmare and a knife glove hanging in Evil Dead 2. Don't know if the rivalry went any further than that though.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size