Chefelf.com Night Life: Fallout 3 banned in Australia - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

Page 1 of 1

Fallout 3 banned in Australia OFLC strike again

#1 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:28 PM

Maybe this belongs in the Games section, but Fallout 3 is the only reason I stayed alive over the last ten years.

Fallout 3 Banned in Australia

Bethesda's latest refused ratings classification in the land down under

Well, here's nothing we haven't seen before: Kotaku reports that Fallout 3, the latest entry in the post-apocalyptic RPG series, has been denied a ratings classification from the Office of Film and Literature Classification in Australia. Since it's against Australian law for games beyond the MA 15+ rating to be sold in retail stores, this means Fallout 3 -- in its current form -- is banned in the country.

The OFLC (which is essentially Australia's version of the ESRB) released a report later in the day (via Kotaku) explaining their reasoning behind the ban. From their report:

"The game contains the option to take a variety of 'chems' using a device which is connected to the character's arm.... The positive effects include increase in strength, stamina, resistance to damage, agility and hit points.
"Corresponding with the list of various 'chems' are small visual representation of the drugs, these include syringes, tablets, pill bottles, a crack-type pipe and blister packs. In the Board's view these realistic visual representations of drugs and their delivery method bring the 'science-fiction' drugs in line with 'real-world' drugs."

If past cases of games being banned in Australia are any indication, it's likely this will be resolved by editing out this content in Fallout 3 that pushed it over the edge in the eyes of the OFLC. Both Grand Theft Auto IV and Dark Sector were recently banned in Australia, only to receive certain edits in order to earn the MA 15+ rating and the right to Australian shelf space. It's a troubling trend for those concerned about artistic censorship, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem as though Australian law will be changed any time soon.

article

This is utter bullshit. What kind of democracy is this meant to be when adults who pay tax are told which video games they can and can't play. Let's face it, this is a game for adults, because even if you were only 8 when fallout 2 was out you'd be an adult now.

Who the hell do these people think they are? Positive effects from drug use...? well duh, WHY DO YOU THINK PEOPLE TAKE THEM? (only the game shows long term ill effects too) If the Australian government put as much effort into cleaning drugs and violence of our streets as they do into cleaning them off our games consoles we'd be living in a paradise.

FAIL FOR DEMOCRACY.

This post has been edited by barend: 14 July 2008 - 12:41 AM

#2 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:50 AM

Banned in 'its current form' means that they're going to massively pussify it? What kind of stupid law is it that a game with an M rating can't be sold in stores? Wouldn't it be simpler if the games in question weren't sold to kids, or if their parents/guardians had to sign a paper that they accept all responsibility for any brain damage the little shit suffers from it or something?

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 14 July 2008 - 05:51 AM

#3 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:47 PM

All I know is that the Australian government is about to find out that playing video games doesn't encourage violence. Taking Video Games away from people is what causes violence!

#4 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:18 PM

Heh, good luck with your revolution.

#5 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:32 PM

Well so far it's just me... But I'm violent enough for 100 people.

#6 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:That place thats close to the thing you know the one

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:16 AM

What is the Australian government has against video games? I'm aware that every country has its little things civil servants like to obsess over to keep them focusing on REAL PROBLEMS in the UK its anyone in a car, in Russia its anyone displaying dissenting opinion and in North Korea its... anyone. But seriously Australian civil servants grow up, grow a fucking pair and start focusing on things that the people who democratically elected you want you deal with. rolleyes.gif
QUOTE (arien @ Jun 29 2008, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this baby, while still inside its mother, murdered his twin brother and STOLE HIS PENIS.

That is one badass baby.

#7 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:50 AM

QUOTE (Casual @ Jul 16 2008, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But seriously Australian civil servants grow up, grow a fucking pair and start focusing on things that the people who democratically elected you want you deal with. rolleyes.gif

Psh, yeah right. They just sit back, getting drunk, smoking weed, finding hookers, and when an issue comes along that people are getting angry at (read fox hunting, or video games) they just pretend to care. All this while taking about 5 times the national average pay rate + expenses, and claiming that they need more money. Haven't you read the government guidelines?

#8 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:21 AM

Its no secret that the 9/11 attacks were carried out by terrorists who played Flight Simulator so by the "logic" of anti gamers shouldn't we ban Flight Simulator?

Death toll of massacre/s carried out by people who have played Flight Simulator is over 4000.

Death toll of massacre/s carried out by people who have played Doom, GTA and other violent games is less than 100.

Think about it.
"I felt insulted until I realized that the people trying to mock me were the same intellectual titans who claimed that people would be thrown out of skyscrapers and feudalism would be re-institutionalized if service cartels don't keep getting political favors and regulations are cut down to only a few thousand pages worth, that being able to take a walk in the park is worth driving your nation's economy into the ground, that sexual orientation is a choice that can be changed at a whim, that problems caused by having institutions can be solved by introducing more institutions or strengthening the existing ones that are causing the problems, and many more profound pearls of wisdom. I no longer feel insulted because I now feel grateful for being alive and witnessing such deep conclusions from my fellows."
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

#9 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:57 AM

If you applied that to gun ownership in America, or in the case of India, car ownership.... What does that say?

#10 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:47 AM

It says that crazed/stupid people will find a way and reason to kill no matter how or why.
"I felt insulted until I realized that the people trying to mock me were the same intellectual titans who claimed that people would be thrown out of skyscrapers and feudalism would be re-institutionalized if service cartels don't keep getting political favors and regulations are cut down to only a few thousand pages worth, that being able to take a walk in the park is worth driving your nation's economy into the ground, that sexual orientation is a choice that can be changed at a whim, that problems caused by having institutions can be solved by introducing more institutions or strengthening the existing ones that are causing the problems, and many more profound pearls of wisdom. I no longer feel insulted because I now feel grateful for being alive and witnessing such deep conclusions from my fellows."
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

#11 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (Deucaon @ Sep 11 2008, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It says that crazed/stupid people will find a way and reason to kill no matter how or why.

Give the man a stuffed bear, I think you just hit the target.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size