Chefelf.com Night Life: Lackluster Fireworks Observation - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

Lackluster Fireworks Observation Saturday, July 5, 2008

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:46 AM

Last night, Jen and I -- with a group of friends -- wandered around the streets of Brooklyn, listening to the sounds of the exploding fireworks reverberating through the streets and off of the buildings. We'd set out a bit late to view the fireworks and we only caught glimpses of them reflecting off residual smoke and the rain that was lightly drizzling.

Eventually we could the best available spot to watch the fireworks. Sure there was a bridge and a tree in the way, but we had an okay view. Here's a shot I got of the finale. I was expecting the finale to be a bit bigger.

Apparently New Jersey was upset that the fireworks were on the other side of Manhattan this year because they didn't want to have to get their own fireworks barge. Nobody has it tough like New Jersey.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:34 AM

We have this corporate-sponsored international fireworks "contest" here every year. It's called the "symphony of fire" and different teams create these great displays of pyrotechnics timed to orchestral accompaniment. With that going on every year, it's impossible to be enthusiastic about Canada Day.

It's hard to tell whether maybe you just had a bad view of them. The thing is, has any camera phone ever recorded fireworks well?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=06yapmrjVlo

I saw the Independence Day fireworks a couple of summers ago from up on Lombard Street in San Francisco, pretty much outside the house where they shot the Real World. That was maybe the last time I enjoyed fireworks. The weather was gorgeous. Then I met some strangers from Nevada and we went for a lot of sake and a modicum of sushi.

This post has been edited by civilian_number_two: 05 July 2008 - 09:37 AM

"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#3 User is offline   #1 Mom Icon

• Chefelf's Mom
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:06 AM

[quote name='civilian_number_two' date='Jul 5 2008, 10:34 AM' post='188878']
We have this corporate-sponsored international fireworks "contest" here every year. It's called the "symphony of fire" and different teams create these great displays of pyrotechnics timed to orchestral accompaniment. With that going on every year, it's impossible to be enthusiastic about Canada Day.

Civ, are you talking about the international fireworks "contest" in Montreal? Cemetery Guy and I once saw that display during a visit to Montreal and I must say it was the best fireworks I have seen in my very long life!
Chefelf's Mom

#4 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:14 PM

I don't know about the Montreal one. They do have a fireworks competition there and it appears to be choreographed to orchestral music, but I don't know whether it's called "symphony of fire." The Symphony of Fire in Vancouver almost lost its funding when folks decided it was wrong to let the legal-for-sale product Benson and Hedges cigarettes sponsor it. Now, like a growing section of businesses in Vancouver, it is sponsored by a bank. Apparently it's ok to let corporate banking own everything but not ok for cigarette companies to sponsor international fireworks "contests."

Anyway, I got pretty tired of fireworks a while ago, but if you ever do come to Vancouver around the time SoF is going on, get yourself inot a boat and watch it from the water.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#5 User is offline   #1 Mom Icon

• Chefelf's Mom
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Posted 05 July 2008 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jul 5 2008, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know about the Montreal one. They do have a fireworks competition there and it appears to be choreographed to orchestral music, but I don't know whether it's called "symphony of fire." The Symphony of Fire in Vancouver almost lost its funding when folks decided it was wrong to let the legal-for-sale product Benson and Hedges cigarettes sponsor it. Now, like a growing section of businesses in Vancouver, it is sponsored by a bank. Apparently it's ok to let corporate banking own everything but not ok for cigarette companies to sponsor international fireworks "contests."

Anyway, I got pretty tired of fireworks a while ago, but if you ever do come to Vancouver around the time SoF is going on, get yourself inot a boat and watch it from the water.

I hope we do get a chance to get to Vancouver some day - not just to see fireworks. But you are right about seeing them from the water. It is vastly better.
Chefelf's Mom

#6 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:50 PM

I remember those fireworks
FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC

the fireworks (if you can call them)
that in Kamloops on Canada lasted 10 min

I was so disappointed
i would have rather stayed at home

oh and Civ the ones in Vancouver are no longer called the Symphony of Fire
Ever since the whole Bensen & Hedges thing they changed the name

it is now known as the Celebraton of Light
it takes some getting use to but it grows on you

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#7 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:04 AM

Hmmm, the fireworks shows weren't too much to look at this year.

However, I do find fireworks to be more entertaining when there is no reason for them. I do enjoy what the Mexicans are doing not far from my house every night, setting off the good illegal ones!

I think one night, I'll just pull out the ladder and sit on my roof and watch the show.

As for huge-antic displays of unwarranted fireworks, I can always drive around the theme parks on the weekends and see much better shows of fiery explosives. This fourth of July was pretty tepid.

#8 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (TruJade @ Jul 7 2008, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it is now known as the Celebraton of Light
it takes some getting use to but it grows on you

Sounds like the title of a self help book.

See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size