Chefelf.com Night Life: ZP -- Webcomics - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

ZP -- Webcomics Or should this just be a continuation of Yahtzee Vs. Cad?

#16 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE (joshofalltrades @ Jul 3 2008, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, as far as I'm concerned, every website should have its own section on why CAD sucks.

But that's a matter of opinion. I like CAD (go ahead, flame me). I don't have a problem with the art, I enjoy the humour. So what if two panels of the webcomic is irrelevant? So what if Buckley decides to add in a dramatic twist. It's too early to tell how it will turn out.

QUOTE (DreamerM @ Jul 3 2008, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just want to say good on Yahtzee for doing something different then what he's been doing. Call me crazy but the normal ZPs were getting old.

I have to agree with that on so many levels. Now imagine if he stretched himself beyond video games to movies, comics and (shock horror) books. Can you imagine that? A popular reviewer criticising a book over plot holes and rediculous plots.

I have a list of webcomics which I think you should check out.
Bob and George - the first sprite based webcomic that went for 7 or so years. Great for anyone who likes contrieved plots
8 Bit Theatre
Penny Arcade
Sinfest
Erfworld
Order of the Stick
Snafu and the comics hosted on the same site
Better Days
CAD

And if you read no other webcomic that I suggest, for goodness sake read Xkcd. It is purely the greatest webcomic intelligent people can understand. You don't even have to enjoy it, just read the first 50 or so comics.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#17 User is offline   MagicSwordKing Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:55 AM

QUOTE (Patch @ Jul 3 2008, 04:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But that's a matter of opinion. I like CAD (go ahead, flame me). I don't have a problem with the art, I enjoy the humour. So what if two panels of the webcomic is irrelevant? So what if Buckley decides to add in a dramatic twist. It's too early to tell how it will turn out.

Well, this isn't a flame per se, but the point isn't that he added a "dramatic twist" the point is that the entire comic is cliched, horrendously written, and the man is too well shielded inside his Ego Cocoon to make any improvements. Taking a sharp left with your "plot" as he's done can signify one of two things, a brilliant writer who is setting his or her own audience up for some big payoff, or that you're a terrible writer who wants everyone to think you're a brilliant writer setting his or her own audience up for some big payoff.

Buckley is a bad writer, he comes up with funny shit, or at least shit that is funny to certain breeds of human on a semi-regular basis. I might go as far as to say he could make me chuckle once or twice a month did I not know the man behind the curtain as well as I do. However, his humor is obvious, in many cases stolen from greater men than he, and never planned or plotted in advance, partly by nature of the medium, partly because he just can't do it. His story arcs meander, as if he knows the beginning and the end and just fails his way through the in-betweens.

I could quote a number of people about the concept of "failing upwards", wherein untalented or unskilled people manage to fail their way into better and better positions in life despite themselves. This could be seen as tremendously good luck, though usually it is a case of tremendously low scruples. While Buckley is a bad writer he is a cunning businessman and as such he knows how to sell steaming shit for a living and maintain a good lifestyle. He steals from all the right people, in his earlier days he pissed off or alienated all his potential rivals if only to put more floor space between him and them at conventions. He's reigning king of shitty webcomics, as his is not just a horror show of epic proportions it is a financial success.

In any case, my point of view is and will always be biased because I know firsthand just how much of an asshole this guy is. Read his comic if you want to, but never, ever listen to a word the man says outside it or you will soon find your happiness sapped as though your girlfriend just vag-shat a cracked podling.

See, had he used that phrase, it might've made me laugh.

#18 User is offline   FFreak3 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:56 AM

Just my two cents.

cent #1) Although it does, in particular, seem to target CAD, there's a couple dozen other webcomics that most of that movie could apply to.

cent #2) I like XKCD, but it is by no means the greatest webcomic. It is horribly formulaic.

#19 User is offline   Walstafa Icon

• New Cop

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:30 AM

I didn't like it.

Maybe it was the familiarity, since I've already read Yahtzee's essay on webcomics that he's cribbed at length for this piece. Still I suppose I can't blame him for reusing an article that a good chunk of his fanbase haven't read.

Or possibly it's the fact it's a barely-veilled attack. Yahtzee may claim at the end he's not referring to any specific comic, but when he mentions a specific story (CAD's rather ham-handed abortion story) it's fairly obvious where his baleful gaze has turned.

I suppose the argument could be made that CAD stands as the most (inexplicably) popular exemplar of pretty much all the tropes he rants about. Or that Tim Buckley is the arch-cock the interweb has painted him as and he deserves all he gets.

Still, I doubt this is going to be the wake-up call that Buckley apparently needs. Nor did it serve the purpose of entertaining me. I can't explain it, he was certainly no more or less cutting than in any of his game reviews, but for some reason I wasn't giggling with glee at this one. My attitude was more or less "here we go again".

-A Self-Important Bearded Tosser. Dundee, Scotland.

#20 User is offline   throwawayaccountman Icon

• New Cop

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:58 AM

I find it amusing that, of every terrible webcomic plagued with all the tropes he mentioned, everyone immediately assumes the entire rant was about CAD because of one reference.

#21 User is offline   Walstafa Icon

• New Cop

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (throwawayaccountman @ Jul 3 2008, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find it amusing that, of every terrible webcomic plagued with all the tropes he mentioned, everyone immediately assumes the entire rant was about CAD because of one reference.

It was the only explicit reference to a specific plotline in the entire review. There were a few background references to CAD (right up the name of the example webcomic being such a thinly-veiled reference that it was obvious he wasn't even trying to hide it.)

You'd have to be a moron not to connect the trail of dots Yahtzee left in his wake, which makes me assume the review was aimed squarely at CAD's existing readership.

This post has been edited by Walstafa: 03 July 2008 - 08:30 AM

#22 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (Mandy Writes @ Jul 2 2008, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it doesn't derail the topic too much (or when we get to the eventual derail anyway), are there comics out there you guys actually like or are the all scum? biggrin.gif

Go here and discover a minimalist idea brought to glorious fruition. This comic is a good example of something that can consistently make me laugh and doesn't require much work.

Buckley's comic is an example of a comic that consistently makes me groan and doesn't require much work.
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#23 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (Patch @ Jul 3 2008, 04:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to agree with that on so many levels. Now imagine if he stretched himself beyond video games to movies, comics and (shock horror) books. Can you imagine that? A popular reviewer criticising a book over plot holes and rediculous plots.

*sigh*

Movies

Comics

Horror Books

Yes, I know they are not done in his usual rapid-fire delivery or on video. Still, the guy does have a back-catalog of humorous articles doing precisely what you describe.

Besides, The Escapist is a gaming website, and they're the ones paying him. I doubt we'll be seeing this done anytime soon.

Regarding your appreciation for CAD -- it's okay. We Americans believe that everyone is entitled to be wrong.

But you're right about one thing: unleashing Yahtzee in that way would in no way be a bad thing. But he does have FullyRamblomatic if he ever feels like doing it.

This post has been edited by joshofalltrades: 03 July 2008 - 09:26 AM

#24 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:57 AM

The funniest part of it all? INTERNET DRAMA! Good times. I love basking in its glow. I love how worked up folks get about their interests, especially on the internet. Every time I see CAD brought up, I start flipping through my music and queue up "Cool to Hate" cause I know what kind of roller coaster I just strapped into. The baiting and the flaming. It's glorious. Maybe because I'm just a little bit jealous that I can't get that impassioned about a few drawings on the intarwebs.

MagicSwordKing speaks wisely, not just from experience. Valuable input.

#25 User is offline   Man Of Doom Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:05 PM

Enjoyed the review, and agreed with pretty much all points made, and the fact that they were mostly referring to CAD. Also, love that' worst image he's ever made' comment.

I don't really have the persistence for web comics, the only ones I read regularly are White Ninja and XKCD. And I once read a Metroid themed one called Maru Mari, mainly because I really like Metroid.
LOVE, the source of all evil:
League Of Villains

#26 User is offline   Battlefrank Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE (FFreak3 @ Jul 3 2008, 05:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just my two cents.

cent #1) Although it does, in particular, seem to target CAD, there's a couple dozen other webcomics that most of that movie could apply to.

cent #2) I like XKCD, but it is by no means the greatest webcomic. It is horribly formulaic.

Cent #3) But it was obvious that he was ripping on CAD once he said "miscarriage"
I love the parody "GAMER COMIC" by "INSIPID FUCKSTAIN" because it's based on a shitty gamer comic and the writer is an unfunny, bland, insipid fuckstain.
It's funny because it's true.

#27 User is offline   freiheit Icon

• New Cop

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:40 PM

well, I must admit this week's video just sounded bitter to me blushing.gif and thus even though I agread with most of it.

@joshofalltrades get over it rolleyes.gif someone who enjoys it itsn't "wrong" there's a big difference between liking something and saying it's good/the best thing arround.

I gess I just see web comics as a pass-time rather then a buisness, so I'll excuse most of the oscure senaristic mistakes about punch lines being delivered at the wrong time (which I beleve the punchline was the guy giving up on jewel battle and stabing the other for faster results and not them starring down at the table itself) and even graphic qualety. I won't harass someone telling them what they did wrong, accually, I usually don't critic unless invited to, because it's always nice to know what the author is accually aiming at first, and because there's no sense in trying to "help" someone who doesn't want any help.... that way you help someone reach HIS goal...and not your own...

#28 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (freiheit @ Jul 3 2008, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well, I must admit this week's video just sounded bitter to me blushing.gif and thus even though I agread with most of it.

Then I guess you "enjoyad" is almost as much as I did.

@joshofalltrades get over it rolleyes.gif someone who enjoys it itsn't "wrong" there's a big difference between liking something and saying it's good/the best thing arround.

Hello there, Tim.

See what I did there? If you defend CAD you must be Tim Buckley! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Forthcoming corrections in bold:

I guess I just see web comics as a pastime rather than a business, so I'll excuse most of the obscure senaristic (what the hell?) mistakes about punch lines being delivered at the wrong time (which I believe the punchline was the guy giving up on the jewel battle and stabbing the other for faster results and not them staring down at the table itself) and even graphic quality. I won't harass someone telling them what they did wrong, actually, I usually don't critique unless invited to, because it's always nice to know what the author is actually aiming at first, and because there's no sense in trying to "help" someone who doesn't want any help.... that way you help someone reach HIS goal...and not your own...

Your argument is like your spelling, immature and flawed. If I told you, a professional tennis coach, that I aspired to be the most mediocre tennis player that ever existed, you would tell me that the goal was worthy of contempt, probably with a few confused expletives mixed in. In this case, a professional webcomic author is aspiring to make his comic only as good as it takes to get tons of people to pay him money for it. The goal is worthless and I am not going to help him get there. I've seen the man's artwork and I know he can do better, but he doesn't want to. All he gets from me are -- you guessed it -- snarky comments and derision for those who consider it the pinnacle of the medium.

Subjectivity is a great thing; taste varies. However, a critic's place is objectivity, and in that regard CAD falls on its face. There are various objective arguments for its stale mediocrity and the common foils to those arguments are nearly exclusively subjective: "You're just too picky", "It makes me laugh sometimes", "I like Tim Buckley in bed", etc. While those arguments apply well to matters of taste, they don't apply to factual statements. When I tell you that he draws the same faces over and over based on templates, his backgrounds are just googled and blurred images, and he bloats his comic by adding two useless frames that don't add anything to the joke being told, you look like a moron when you try to render that criticism invalid with, "But it makes me laugh!"

This post has been edited by joshofalltrades: 03 July 2008 - 01:36 PM

#29 User is offline   throwawayaccountman Icon

• New Cop

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (Walstafa @ Jul 3 2008, 08:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was the only explicit reference to a specific plotline in the entire review. There were a few background references to CAD (right up the name of the example webcomic being such a thinly-veiled reference that it was obvious he wasn't even trying to hide it.)

You'd have to be a moron not to connect the trail of dots Yahtzee left in his wake, which makes me assume the review was aimed squarely at CAD's existing readership.

He did indeed make an explicit reference to a well-known bad webcomic in an essay about webcomics, much like how one might make a reference to Jurassic Park in an essay about raptors. CAD was no doubt among the biggest offenders, but it wasn't nearly the only one as people are making it out to be. (The example comic was also named "Benny Barcade" at one point)

#30 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:32 PM

http://badwebcomics.blogspot.com/

Just go here and find your favorite webcomic...and also educate yourself.

QUOTE (Uszi @ Jul 2 2008, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Update:

http://www.cad-forum...ead.php?t=90513

CAD comic goers start a thread already.

"i like him, hes a funny guy...but theres no reason for him to make fun of something just cause he doesnt like it. "

Update:

Buckley has already locked said thread:

"Everyone is entitled to their opinions."

The Fuhrer cartainly knows what to do. He did well and acted wise.

Thompsonists shalt be exterminated.
Cauideland shall stand strong.
Taomism is the real way of life.

SIEG HAIL!!!

QUOTE (DreamerM @ Jul 3 2008, 05:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just want to say good on Yahtzee for doing something different then what he's been doing. Call me crazy but the normal ZPs were getting old.

No doubt many people got burned who deserved it and I look forward to seeing Webcomic Dramatists futilely attempt to wage war against Yahtzees hordes of crazed fanboys. I don't think anyone besides Penny Arcade can stand up to the Yahtz in terms of popularity right now, and while I'm a girl always up to watch a good bloodbath, odds are most of them won't even try.

And Kax, you lack the Messiah Complex that's mandatory for Yahtzee's accusations to really apply to you. "Ask Altair" only lampooned one game and didn't pretend to be anything other then what it was.

Oh, hi there. Its always nice to have a girl (and an artist) on the baseball team.

QUOTE (Ghello @ Jul 2 2008, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So Yahtzee is going to be in a CAD comic soon I hope.

Anyways that was probably his greatest review in a long time. Game Over's pants are going to explode watching this im sure.

Hello there.

----
CAD forum message to all the dear fans:

"Hello everyone!
We're currently doing some server maintenance.
We should be back online soon....seriously.
Thank you very much for your patience and understanding."

Not as bad as the RoM incident, but still counts.

------------
I'm just being random today because I'm happy.

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size