Chefelf.com Night Life: ZP -- Webcomics - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

ZP -- Webcomics Or should this just be a continuation of Yahtzee Vs. Cad?

#106 User is offline   Dunxco Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (Patch @ Jul 10 2008, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nothing but apparently if the author is bad then that immediately ruins the webcomic.
I swear Game Over is making less and less sense with each passing moment.

VGCats has it's moments. The older one's used to be funny. I dunno, VGCats feels more... Wholesome? You can feel the fanboy radiating off of the author like he crawled out of a nuclear meltdown and is now glowing slightly green. Yet somehow, it feels... Okay. It's justified, and fun. Plus his artwork is fantastic, in my opinion. He's clearly developed his style if you flip through the archives to the beginning and wade your way through.

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal is completely non-linear, and straddles that oh-so-thin fence of genius and insanity. Give it a look. I generally just hit the random and hope I get a good one. If you don't want to let shoddy artwork ruin a good joke, that is.

This post has been edited by Dunxco: 10 July 2008 - 04:06 PM

#107 User is offline   Diceman Icon

• New Cop

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:51 AM

I cannot see gameover's logic on why VG cats is filed under "total shit"as opposed to the much more accurate title of "miss or hit"or"almost never updated".My first major issue is the authors general attitude does not come off in any of his comics or news posts as offensive for most sane people,the only exception to this rule is maybe 1 or 2 potshots at religion fanatics but i can honestly care less about folks that watch the flintstones as if it were a documentary.

So to play devils advocate lets call that being a asshole albeit far less of a asshole that Tim is.

below are some points Scott has over Tim in the general likability section:

1.is pleasant to talk to at conventions

2.seems to have a insanity complex that either strikes comedy gold for hours or ends up eating a dog shit bullet between the eyes(roll of the dice i guess).

3.Is well liked over most of the web comic community which is far more than what i can say for tim.

This experience is from 1 meeting with him and while not a amazingly accurate way to judge somebody I must use that experience as a kind of social framework of whether or not he is a decent guy,your mileage may vary.

On joke punchlines:Most of scotts work is a bit hit and miss but the same can be said for penny arcade(use the paint the line plot for a reference of what i call boring for the most part)and pretty much any comic/song/book/movie ever made.

gold to shit ratio:I firmly put scotts work at 4:1 the art is colorful,the characters are well drawn and most of the flow of the panels works right to the point instead of dragging on.

Now that the above is out of the way heres a potshot at gameover:The artist attitude has no merit in a argument about artwork or punchlines,doing so opens a floodgate to discussions that far derail the entire subject matter at hand to where folks start judging his work by completely irrational comparisons such as:

he likes Chinese food
likes likin park albums
has 88 pairs of blue suede shoes

While those subjects would seem fun they have no place in a discussion on artwork/comedy.

ps:you dislike pvp cause the author is a little on the wide side?what next disliking me cause my name is akin to a mega man villain?

ps#2:excuse my terribad English as it was never my strong point,I am fabulously flawed as they say.

#108 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:48 AM

Meh, you'll either get corrected, chatised or ignored in that respect.

Naturally, we've diverged from the point. But I don't think any of us are clear on the point. I'm not. Is there meant to be a for and against argument for the webcomic?

What I've gathered, and I've already said this but I don't mind repeating myself.
-You don't like the creator
-You think the comic's art isn't getting improved
-You think two panels can be removed
-You don't like the change in plot

Well, fantastic. It's shown so far that people have nothing wrong with it for being a gaming webcomic. It's funny, isn't it? People haven't openly criticised the humour unless it's directly related to the two panel problem.
Apart from that it's mostly moaning about things that don't matter so much.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#109 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (Patch @ Jul 11 2008, 03:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meh, you'll either get corrected, chatised or ignored in that respect.

He made it clear that English isn't his first language, so I can safely say that I'd look like a complete muncher of genitalia if I was a grammar nazi there. My beef isn't with making everybody type perfectly, it's with native English speakers who don't know how to elegantly communicate in their own language. It's not that tough; you have the rules pounded into your head over and over from grade school through high school.

On topic, everybody is allowed a slump from time to time. The big problem with Tim's work is that it started in a slump (ripping off Penny Arcade) and then barely improved in artwork and style.

I think there may have been a few of his strips that made me chuckle (and usually chuckling is all you can ask of any comic).
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#110 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (joshofalltrades @ Jul 12 2008, 02:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On topic, everybody is allowed a slump from time to time. The big problem with Tim's work is that it started in a slump (ripping off Penny Arcade) and then barely improved in artwork and style.

I think there may have been a few of his strips that made me chuckle (and usually chuckling is all you can ask of any comic).

Well, what more can you ask from a webcomic? Here's an author who, from what we've heard, isn't trying to improve himself any time soon. So you just have to enjoy the humour. And people are allowed different humour and such.

So what other gaming webcomics have deserved the original ZP review, since that was the base of the topic.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#111 User is offline   Mandy Writes Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:26 PM

You know, F@NBOY$ (if you ignore the title) isn't bad. It is a little off the wall here and there, but the art style has improved over time and he keeps the few plot lines short and sweet. For example... Dealing with your roomate's odd relationship habits. Boo infestation. I mean, he's even got Pooh. Oh, and that 15 panel Seinfeld thing.

#112 User is offline   Candescence Icon

• New Cop

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:43 AM

Obviously, you people haven't heard of Castle Vidcons. It's brilliant. Kinda like a political comic... Except about the gaming industry, told in a medieval fashion.
IPB Image

#113 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE (Patch @ Jul 10 2008, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I swear Game Over is making less and less sense with each passing moment.

Vat aar yu talkhin' aboot?

#114 User is offline   Mandy Writes Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (Candescence @ Jul 14 2008, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Obviously, you people haven't heard of Castle Vidcons. It's brilliant. Kinda like a political comic... Except about the gaming industry, told in a medieval fashion.

I read through it and give it a thumbs up. I really like the subtle use of animation and light in some comics.

#115 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (Mandy Writes @ Jul 14 2008, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read through it and give it a thumbs up. I really like the subtle use of animation and light in some comics.

Maybe you can explain it to me. It's acceptable artistically, but I just don't get it.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#116 User is offline   Mandy Writes Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:15 PM

The comic is about the kingdoms of Vidcons, each representing the big players of the gaming industry: Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, PC gaming and even a bit of Apple thrown in there. The politics and battles between them reflect real life gaming news. Example... The invasion of the PS3 controllers being fought off with the old school N64 rumble pack is a reflection on how PS3 controllers didn't include rumble and thus were to "...bear witness to what which thy souls long for!" Today's reflects on how FFXIII will be available for the 360 as well as the PS3, as 360 breaks into PS3's castle and steals the property.

Also, when I read this, I couldn't help thinking of you guys and "the debate".

(Edited to include those quotation marks.)

This post has been edited by Mandy Writes: 14 July 2008 - 08:17 PM

#117 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE (Diceman @ Jul 11 2008, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
has 88 pairs of blue suede shoes

That's possibly the single most awesome thing ever.
Is it just me or am I seeing more and more new people every day?
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#118 User is offline   l33tspaniard Icon

• New Cop
  • Interests:Things, mostly. Also stuff. <br /><br /><br />I've never been good at answering these questions...

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:41 AM

It's probably just you wink.gif

#119 User is offline   l33tspaniard Icon

• New Cop
  • Interests:Things, mostly. Also stuff. <br /><br /><br />I've never been good at answering these questions...

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:41 AM

I double posed on accident. Silly me.

This post has been edited by l33tspaniard: 15 July 2008 - 01:42 AM

#120 User is offline   Snowshifter Icon

• New Cop

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

Candescence, Mandy Writes: Spot on with the Castle Vidcons recommendation. There's just something deliciously absurd about Lord Playstation and the Gameboy Warhorse. It's also quite a challenge working out what each strip is referencing. "Thy mother was a Macintosh" indeed

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size