Chefelf.com Night Life: Proposal asks Baptists to quit public schools - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Proposal asks Baptists to quit public schools Friday, May 7, 2004

#1 User is offline   K1NGWARREN Icon

• Devil Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 07 May 2004 - 04:45 PM

Proposal asks Baptists to quit public schools
Friday, May 7, 2004

A prominent Southern Baptist is asking the national convention to consider a resolution recommending parents remove their children from what he calls ''godless'' and ''anti-Christian'' public schools.

The resolution, co-authored by T.C. Pinckney, publisher of a Baptist newsletter in Alexandria, Va., urges parents to home-school their children or send them to Christian schools.

''God gives the responsibility for education of children to the parents, not to the government,'' Pinckney said yesterday. ''And parents should be taking responsibility, primarily through home-schooling.''

The proposal, which also was written by Texas attorney Bruce Shortt, says the public school system claims to be neutral but is actually opposed to Christianity and provides an education that is ''godless.''

''Just as it would be foolish for the warrior to give his arrows to his enemies, it is foolish for Christians to give their children to be trained in schools run by the enemies of God,'' the resolution states.

http://www.tennessea...ent_ID=50998523

Yup, this is exactly what religious nuts need: shitty home schooling that leaves them even dumber. Go God!

#2 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 07 May 2004 - 04:48 PM

''Just as it would be foolish for the warrior to give his arrows to his enemies, it is foolish for Christians to give their children to be trained in schools run by the enemies of God,'' the resolution states.

Fantastic. Go baptists!
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#3 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:10 PM

I went to a public school, and my faith did not break. They threw evolution and the whole nine at me, and I'm fine. If anything, I m better for it.

These kids are going to hit soceity eventually, might aswell start young.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 07 May 2004 - 08:55 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#4 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (K1NGWARREN @ May 7 2004, 09:45 PM)
''God gives the responsibility for education of children to the parents, not to the government,'' Pinckney said yesterday. ''And parents should be taking responsibility, primarily through home-schooling.''

Pinckney later commented, "Actually, that was my idea. But whatever I think must come from the mouth of God, right? I'm a prominent Baptist minister."

#5 User is offline   WalrusOfPlastic Icon

• Not Greg
  • PipPip

Posted 07 May 2004 - 11:18 PM

So... their children are projectile weaponry. Metaphorically speaking.

#6 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 08 May 2004 - 01:50 AM

Baptists are adorable.

#7 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2004 - 02:16 AM

Yup, this is exactly what religious nuts need: shitty home schooling that leaves them even dumber. Go God!

You wouldn't understand. If you believed in a God with all your heart, you would want your childeren to do the same. And if it meant take them out of school to help further their walk in God, you just might.

I loved public school, and was able to fend for myself when it came to grade 8 science class.

But alot of chirstians would rather be safe than sorry so they yank their kids out of the system. Later they re-enter into society as weird and socially inept.

But then again, as far as christianity is concerend usually the wierd outcast freaks of society are seen as the mightiest of Gods people.

So in some regards, acutally in all regards, those freaky kids are probably stronger in their faith than I.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 08 May 2004 - 02:16 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#8 User is offline   K1NGWARREN Icon

• Devil Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 08 May 2004 - 04:40 AM

Hey, I didn't agree with a lot of the crap I was taught in school, but I still went. No matter how bad one's local school system is, it's still better than home-schooling. Home dentistry anyone? Home radiology? Would you prefer to defend yourself in court or have a professional lawyer? I hated having to stand in a room every day and be told to repeat the words "under god" along with the rest of the class, but I didn't quit school over it. School, as crappy as it can be, is a microcosm of society as a whole. You can't prepare kids to live in this society by shielding them from it.

#9 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2004 - 04:55 AM

I agree. But some parents still think it's best if they school them from kindergarden up and till grade 12, this way they think the kid will have a deeper foundation in the bible and therefore will fair better in university and so on.

It's different ----- you learnt alot of crap, such as prayer in school, that simply pissed you off- Not break your faith with God. These parents see the stakes as slightly higher.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that it's not silly for parents to think this way. It seems bizarre because your take (and mine) is "gee that will really fuck up the kids social skills". But some christians are so close to the bible, that they pretty much well right off this life and all it's splendor for the sake of the afterlife. And if it means kill their (or the kids) social life, they will.

#10 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 08 May 2004 - 07:59 AM

If you believe in ANYTHING so strongly as to shelter your kids from exposure to other points of view you are a bad parent. I've seen people that have grown up that way. It is a scary sight. One of them lives across the street from my parents. If anyone could see this man as a result of being sheltered and not exposed to the world (also for religious reasons) they would not subject their children to the same fate.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#11 User is offline   Amber-Nicole Icon

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 08 May 2004 - 09:18 AM

wink.gif We still say "under God" in the pledge every day. But anyway, I'm from the south, and I live in what is referred to as "The Bible Belt." So maybe I'm just not understanding how it is in the rest of the world. But it bothers me a bit here how teachers will always refer to God, etc. because in this small town they seem to assume that EVERYONE share their views, and ways of thinking. I don't have anything against Christians, and then referring to Biblical references when it has academic relevence. But I do not want to hear about "when I got saved," or "all the fun stuff you kids should come to at my church!" Around here, public schools trying to snuff out Christianity is just not an issue. The closedmindedness of it is really frustrating. Not too long ago, I decided to tell my friends that I was bisexual and agnostic at the same time. Talk about freaking out. dry.gif But that's a whole other rant all together, and I'm going to stop typing before this one gets any longer, incase you don't feel like reading a novel on a message board. tongue.gif
"And there's not a bloody thing the king of Sweden can do about it!" -Ninja Duck (Hey, somebody had to use it. ~_^)

#12 User is offline   K1NGWARREN Icon

• Devil Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 08 May 2004 - 09:27 AM

Chefelf's parents never told him that there is no Easter Bunny and look how he turned out!

#13 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 08 May 2004 - 10:37 AM

It's funny actually... reading this.

I'm an aetheist. But you know, I wasn't always one. I actually started out as a Christian. It was after I'd been to a Christian high school (is there any private school that isn't?) that I became an aetheist.

The school obviously didn't make me an aetheist. I came to my beliefs through my own thinking. But it just goes to show that the school is not the deciding factor in a person's faith.

I think one of the saddest things about religion is that too many people just blindly accept their parents' religion and don't actually think about it for themselves.

#14 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 08 May 2004 - 10:46 AM

Just a side-note:

I occasionally get some strange reactions from people when I tell them I'm an aetheist. It's strange for me because I'm actually a spiritual guy who believes in things beyond this mortal life and bigger things than the physical universe in which we live. These people automatically assume I'm not.

This comes from a misunderstanding of terms.

An aetheist doesn't believe in God. That's me. I am still a spiritual guy - but the Christian God (or any other God) doesn't factor into my beliefs. Just because someone doesn't believe in God doesn't mean they can't have their own beliefs.

Another term that some people suggest I use is an agnostic - someone who is confused about what to believe. That may be a fitting term but I do have my own beliefs so I don't think I'm confused.

I don't know if my beliefs are right or not - but as far as I'm concerned, neither does anyone else.

Actually of all the mainstream belief systems, I'd probably say Buddhism is the one that speaks most honestly to me.

This is because rather than focusing almost entirely on the after-life, Buddhism basically says "Be good and live well in this life.

Hope that wasn't too philosophical for this post. I can't help myself sometimes.

#15 User is offline   K1NGWARREN Icon

• Devil Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 08 May 2004 - 10:51 AM

But what about the Easter Bunny?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size