Chefelf.com Night Life: Post Count - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Post Count Do you want the old counts imported

Poll: Should the old Message Board Post Counts be imported to the new Message Board?

Should the old Message Board Post Counts be imported to the new Message Board?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 User is offline   Rory Icon

• Supreme Master of all Lance & Eskimo and Chefelf Forums EVER
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Well, I enjoy a fine bottle of scotch sometimes. I am also interested in women. I'm not a homosexual, if that is what you are implying. <br><br>I also enjoy skateboarding, riding the cerf, killing bugbears, and Stratego. <br><br>I am a devote Catholic (in case you couldn't tell! lol). <br><br>Other than that, I am just a normal guy. I believe Nixon got it right the first time, that we should live in a society with an elaborate caste system, and that the only thing better than looking like a million bucks is Being a million bucks... Literally!

Posted 11 May 2004 - 04:24 PM

What doesn't make sense? This is the lanceandeskimo message board, not the chelf elf or heccubus forums. Therefore, it seems like it would make sense to credit people with the actual number of posts they have made on the lanceandeskimo message board. If its a matter of fairness, we should either agree to add the posts people have made on the lanceandeskimo message board, or start over from ground zero. What would be unfair would be to only count the posts someone has made on a Different message board, namely the chefelf forums. By doing so, we falsely credit people for posts they did not write.

If your argument is that its unecessary or too inconveniant to change the posts, thats certainly plausible, but it should be self evident that the fair act is to give credit where credit is due.

#17 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 May 2004 - 04:54 PM

Is there a way to make the post count artificially high on the L&E forum, but normal on the rest of the forums? That would be pretty tough to engineer. Maybe show the intraforum posts in the postbit along with the interforum posts? unsure.gif

#18 Guest_Caolan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 May 2004 - 04:55 PM

Rory, I think it's because this isn't just the lanceandeskimo messageboard anymore; now it's a section of the chefelf.com forums, which involve a lot of other people's messageboards. So it would be unfair to change the system just to accommodate lanceandeskimo. It's sad that lanceandeskimo doesn't have its special autonomy anymore, and you could argue that it should have its own login system and so on, but since most of the people who post on lanceandeskimo also post very regularly on chefelf and heccubus and fully ramblomatic and so on, it's probably a lot more convenient for them to post to all those message boards using one login.

In a way, it's like the fall of the Roman Empire. Kind of sad, because you like those statues and all the plumbing and stuff, but kind of good, because how else are you going to get chivalry?

#19 User is offline   WalrusOfPlastic Icon

• Not Greg
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:32 PM

I'm not a big fan of Rome. Sure I'll give them some respect for being monstrously powerful, but man, how disconnected from reality can you get.

#20 User is offline   WalrusOfPlastic Icon

• Not Greg
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:37 PM

I'm not really very partial any way it goes. But if it were up to me I'd like to see the counts taken away. I personally value quality over quantity any day of the week. Of course whether there are silly little numbers under my avatar or not isn't going to change what I value personally, so do whatever you want. Doesn't matter to me.

#21 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (Caolan @ May 11 2004, 04:55 PM)
It's sad that lanceandeskimo doesn't have its special autonomy anymore, and you could argue that it should have its own login system and so on, but since most of the people who post on lanceandeskimo also post very regularly on chefelf and heccubus and fully ramblomatic and so on, it's probably a lot more convenient for them to post to all those message boards using one login.

I agree. We toyed with the idea of using the same set of users but having two separate message boards. In fact I set one up but it didn't really seem to make much sense having the LNE forum separate, especially with the traffic it's been getting lately (not that much).

I am torn on the issue. I never really intended for the Chefelf forum to become as popular as it has. I was honestly just installing this software to test it out and monkey around with it. It kinda grew from there. When it was growing it occurred to me that bringing certain other forums into the mix (i.e. offering invitations to Heccubus, Zach, Slade, Yahtzee, Jon Gutner, etc.) would create a community where everyone could benefit from the readers of the other sites. It seems that the experiment has worked as there is a lot of cross-forum communication (much more than existed int he past). In that respect I am glad to see that the forum communities have grown together so nicely.

So bringing LNE into it as well seemed like it could really help out that particular forum as far as getting some more discussion/traffic going on. There were plenty of other reasons that have been gone over as well.

Crediting LNE members and not others seems odd but since this is an offshoot of LNE I think it wouldn't be so bad to have the post counts carried over. I would, of course, be willing to honor this for the other forum members as well.

I'm not really very partial any way it goes. But if it were up to me I'd like to see the counts taken away. I personally value quality over quantity any day of the week. Of course whether there are silly little numbers under my avatar or not isn't going to change what I value personally, so do whatever you want. Doesn't matter to me.

I agree that quality is more important tahn quality. However, the post count thing (while I was sorta against it on the LNE forum in the past) usually functions to promote discussion in more positive ways than negative. If anyone goes around spamming to bulk up their post count they can be dealt with accordingly. The great thing about this community (in that it is so small right now) is that we have a pretty good collection of members here and people are, for the most part, very well behaved and couteous to other members. I shouldn't see this becoming an issue unless we grow to an unmanageable number of members. In that case we have plenty of moderators to help out in that event.

Anyway... my thought. I appreciate everyone's comments in this thread and really look forward to hearing many more. There are a lot of different ways we can improve this community. The great thing about this forum software is that it's highly customizeable and can be fixed up in most any way to make it a better place for the people who frequent it.

Thanks to everyone who's commented so far!! smile.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#22 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 11 May 2004 - 08:46 PM

We-ell, if anything I'd argue against keeping counts at all. It's sort of annoying to have hasty messages dedicated entirely to bulking post counts, threads about how many posts people have, etc. I guess I'd prefer to discuss other topics, since the number of posts various people have is pretty dull to me.

However, I understand that many people enjoy playing the post-race game, and as long as they keep their bulking-up posts to threads understood to be used for that purpose (the "word of the day" thread on Chefelf is one of these, I think), it's not hurting anybody.

So, in conclusion, I have no opinion.

#23 User is offline   WalrusOfPlastic Icon

• Not Greg
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2004 - 11:00 PM

So, in conclusion, I have no opinion.

Here, here!

#24 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 12 May 2004 - 01:08 AM

Well, this is my first visit. I was kind of hoping to be a virgin again.

#25 User is offline   Hero4u2hire Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:I'm a chef,<br />xbox<br />bar conversations<br />cold weather<br />skiing<br />drinking beer<br />buying under armour stuff<br />Bragging about my BIL worked on starwars III

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:26 AM

Well Nate it seems you could please everyone by just upgrading the old posts, the people who care will be happy, and the one's who don't,.. still won't care.

#26 User is offline   Rory Icon

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Well, I enjoy a fine bottle of scotch sometimes. I am also interested in women. I'm not a homosexual, if that is what you are implying. <br><br>I also enjoy skateboarding, riding the cerf, killing bugbears, and Stratego. <br><br>I am a devote Catholic (in case you couldn't tell! lol). <br><br>Other than that, I am just a normal guy. I believe Nixon got it right the first time, that we should live in a society with an elaborate caste system, and that the only thing better than looking like a million bucks is Being a million bucks... Literally!

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:44 AM

If the lanceandeskimo message board is truly dead (like the roman empire), then what I really object to is keeping up the charade (however thinly veiled) thats it is still its own message board. If we are going to kill the lanceandeskimo message board, lets kill it with style. I would certainly morn its passing, but at least we would be committing no disservice.

So, either we should admit that the lanceandeskimo message board is truly and forever dead, and be done with all this "Moch 3" business, or we should treat it like its own message board, and count the posts.

#27 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 13 May 2004 - 01:26 AM

LNE has been dead for the past month or so. This is a nice way to jump start it again. The only thing that has changed is the appearance. The forum is only as good as the people in it. The old LNE changed when people stopped going to it. The true change happened long before the new look came into effect.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#28 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (Hero4u2hire @ May 13 2004, 12:26 AM)
Well Nate it seems you could please everyone by just upgrading the old posts, the people who care will be happy, and the one's who don't,.. still won't care.

The man makes a point.

#29 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 13 May 2004 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ May 13 2004, 12:10 PM)
The man makes a point.

That is a good point.

Why don't you read this, Rory? http://www.lanceande...forum=4&topic=7

Everyone hated the old message board too. After I spent all the time upgrading and installing the software for the then new system I had to deal with weeks of complaining about how unbearable it was.

I don't think that this is a "charade". It's just an L&E message board to discuss L&E related or unrelated things. You seem to have an awful lot emotionally invested in the L&E message board, Rory.

The reasons for the change have been outlined. If the post count issue is really a big deal I will adjust it but I want to get more opinions before going through with that.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#30 User is offline   Rory Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:31 PM

You are completing misinterpreting what I'm saying, Nate. I'm not complaining about the new "face" of the lanceandeskimo message board, at all. I never said I was. I was merely responding to Caolan's claim that the lanceandeskimo message board is officially dead. If all that has changed about the lanceandeskimo message board is its appearance, as Jordan claims, then there should be no question about counting the old posts. They were made on the lanceandeskimo message board. This is the lanceandeskimo message board. Therefore, the posts should count. Its a very simple argument.

However, if this isnt really the lanceandeskimo message board, and is really just some sick vassal of the chefelf forums then lets admit it.

I am just arguing on logical grounds, Nate. If the lanceandeskimo message boards are truly dead, I won't shed a tear. What I do believe, however, is that it is wrong to mislead the public. If that belief constitutes an emotional investment, so be it.

You however, seem to be bent on hurting the very fans you claim to support. For what purpose? I have no idea.

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size