Chefelf.com Night Life: Teen Discovers Technology to Decompose Plastic - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

Page 1 of 1

Teen Discovers Technology to Decompose Plastic Wednesday, May 28, 2008

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:23 AM

Teen Discovers Technology to Decompose Plastic
May 28, 2008
Charlotte Prong Parkhill
RECORD STAFF

WATERLOO

Daniel Burd's cellphone rings during class. It's the media calling. Again.

The Grade 11 student at Waterloo Collegiate Institute has become something of a science superstar after trying to speed up the incredibly slow decay of plastic bags for a school project.

Discussion boards on the web are lighting up and there's been a barrage of media requests for interviews.

Burd, however, is almost oblivious to his new-found fame. He's just returned from a student council retreat and is now focused on studying for his exams.

The 16-year-old became a web sensation after his pastic-bag project took first place at the Canada-Wide Science Fair in Ottawa.

People are drawn to the teenager's research project, which identifies a way to speed up the decomposition of polyethylene bags.

The Record's initial story about Burd has been viewed almost 130,000 times and has been picked up by websites and blogs such as Wired Science and Digital Journal.

Although he has now done interviews with the CBC and several radio stations, he prefers the focus be on his project, not him.

"But I'm glad for the attention because this is a really big problem for our society," he said yesterday. "It's good that people are interested . . . and want to know more about this."

Burd has been invited to the Canadian Intellectual Properties Office to discuss possibilities for patenting his ideas.

But for now, he'll be using part of his $10,000 science fair prize to continue his research.

He also wants to pay back his mother for the support she's given him on the project so far. And he's planning a charitable donation.

"I'd like to give back to my regional science fair," Burd said. "I believe a science fair is a really unique opportunity for students to get feedback."

He hasn't decided where his $20,000 in scholarship money will be spent, or what he'll study.

Burd's achievement is timely.

Just yesterday, the LCBO announced it would phase out the use of plastic bags, a move expected to save about 80 million of them from ending up in landfills.

Jennifer Clapp, an environmental studies professor at the University of Waterloo, is pleased Burd's research is calling attention to an important issue but hopes people aren't looking to science to provide all the answers.

"We risk drowning in a sea of plastic bags because they take so long to decompose," Clapp said.

"The idea that something can break them down is exciting, but we still need to reduce our use."

Craig Nickel, the activities director at WCI, said Burd is a well-rounded student who, in his role as charity controller, organized a drive that raked in more than 10,000 pencils for schools in Africa.

"He's very sincere and very passionate about making a difference in his world," Nickel said. "A very inspiring young man to be around."

Nickel said all the attention has probably given Burd an understanding of what celebrities go through. "It shows you the power of an idea."

http://news.therecor.../article/357017

It was nice to give him the $10,000 prize and the $20,000 scholarship. I realize that $20,000 towards college goes a lot further in Canada than in the US.

Still, doesn't it seem somewhat insufficient reward for someone making such a big discovery?

Hey, thanks for unraveling the Human Genome! Please accept $5,000 in Bennigan's coupons!
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:27 PM

Its nice that they didnt bother telling us how he did it or anything at all about his work. Science is boring anyhow, especially in articles about scientists. He probably just spent a month mixing red and green test tubes together and then a plastic bag exploded.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#3 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:21 PM

That is kind of bullshit, the guy manages to reduce a process that takes thousands in a much shorter amount of time, and is only given $30,000? People in this country sell their wedding photos for more than that...

This post has been edited by Dr Lecter: 28 May 2008 - 02:21 PM

#4 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:That place thats close to the thing you know the one

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:09 PM

Has he or hasn't he managed to find a way to speed up the decay of plastic bags? The articles a bit vague it sounds like he may possibly have come up with a theory, a theory they've decided not to expand upon at all. mellow.gif
QUOTE (arien @ Jun 29 2008, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this baby, while still inside its mother, murdered his twin brother and STOLE HIS PENIS.

That is one badass baby.

#5 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:25 PM

News Headline

#6 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:44 AM

That technology has been around for a while. I think its called fire.
"I felt insulted until I realized that the people trying to mock me were the same intellectual titans who claimed that people would be thrown out of skyscrapers and feudalism would be re-institutionalized if service cartels don't keep getting political favors and regulations are cut down to only a few thousand pages worth, that being able to take a walk in the park is worth driving your nation's economy into the ground, that sexual orientation is a choice that can be changed at a whim, that problems caused by having institutions can be solved by introducing more institutions or strengthening the existing ones that are causing the problems, and many more profound pearls of wisdom. I no longer feel insulted because I now feel grateful for being alive and witnessing such deep conclusions from my fellows."
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

#7 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:12 PM

I smell a cover up.

no 'was edited by/on' ?

#8 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Jun 2 2008, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I smell a cover up.

no 'was edited by/on' ?

The fuck?
"I felt insulted until I realized that the people trying to mock me were the same intellectual titans who claimed that people would be thrown out of skyscrapers and feudalism would be re-institutionalized if service cartels don't keep getting political favors and regulations are cut down to only a few thousand pages worth, that being able to take a walk in the park is worth driving your nation's economy into the ground, that sexual orientation is a choice that can be changed at a whim, that problems caused by having institutions can be solved by introducing more institutions or strengthening the existing ones that are causing the problems, and many more profound pearls of wisdom. I no longer feel insulted because I now feel grateful for being alive and witnessing such deep conclusions from my fellows."
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

#9 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:15 AM

Not been paying attention?

#10 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (Deucaon @ Jun 2 2008, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The fuck?

Nothing to see here, sir.

Move along.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size