• Last »

plz review list

#61 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (AdamM @ May 24 2008, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Oh shit! I'm talking about politics! I guess I'd better apologise in case I get too controversial for people's tastes." I thought you said you were a Libertarian?

Just because the Libertarians are the party I am closest to politically doesn't mean I really want to stomp on everyone's toes and damn the consequences. Besides, your "you belong to this political affiliation and therefore think precisely like this group" pigeonholing is exactly the thing I was trying to condemn when I pointed out that a two-party system sucks. I consider myself a genuine and friendly individual and if I was creating drama by posting political discussion I wanted to be clear that it wasn't my goal. Did you wake up on the right side of the bed this morning? You seem a bit grumpy.

This post has been edited by joshofalltrades: 24 May 2008 - 07:53 PM

My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#62 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (AdamM @ May 25 2008, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pf, yeah right, because the UN gave fearsome retiribution after the US and various other English-speaking countries illegally barrelled into Iraq, eh?

And as for that 'America is a continent' comment that is as old as time, stop trying to be a smartarse. There are several countries in the Americas, including Canada, Mexico, and Brazil, but only ONE of them is actually CALLED 'America', and that is the United States of 'America', hence why it is called 'America', do you get this now, what do I have to do to make you understand this.

Your first point is... burn.
I don't care if it's the United States of 'America'. I have my opinion that people shouldn't call it 'America' when it's the US of A. Call it the US for all you like, but saying 'America' annoys me. Haven't you seen the picture, you know, the one that says 'What USA thinks America is' and 'What the rest of the world think America is'. Still you're entitled to your views and I'm entitled to mine.

QUOTE (joshofalltrades @ May 25 2008, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you wake up on the right side of the bed this morning? You seem a bit grumpy.

I'll say!
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#63 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2008 - 03:37 PM

I've been saving up all my grumpiness since 2007 and let it all out in that one post. I'm fine now.

Patch, no-one uses the official names of countries. Eire, the French Republic, the Russian Federation, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, when were the last time you heard these names bandied about in normal conversation?

If there was another country in the Americas that had called itself America... like the Republic of America, the Confederate States of America, the American Federation, the American Empire, the Duchy of America... if there was a single other country that had America in its title, THEN you would have a legitimate argument as to not referring to an individual country as 'America', because a distinction would be required. But as there isn't, you don't. And 'United Statesians' sounds stupid anyway.

#64 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2008 - 04:01 PM

I'm going to have to side with AdamM on this one. There are even songs that refer to the United States of America as "America".

America, America
God shed his grace on thee
Blah blahhhh blah blahhhh...

They were written in America, though...

This post has been edited by joshofalltrades: 25 May 2008 - 04:02 PM

#65 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (AdamM @ May 26 2008, 06:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been saving up all my grumpiness since 2007 and let it all out in that one post. I'm fine now.

Patch, no-one uses the official names of countries. Eire, the French Republic, the Russian Federation, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, when were the last time you heard these names bandied about in normal conversation?

If there was another country in the Americas that had called itself America... like the Republic of America, the Confederate States of America, the American Federation, the American Empire, the Duchy of America... if there was a single other country that had America in its title, THEN you would have a legitimate argument as to not referring to an individual country as 'America', because a distinction would be required. But as there isn't, you don't. And 'United Statesians' sounds stupid anyway.

All is forgiven, all is explained. While I'm tempted to start using the politically correct terms, I think I don't want to be called 'Anti-United Statesian'. I would be ridiculed. That's a joke. People wouldn't really laugh at me.
Innuendo!(?)
QUOTE (joshofalltrades @ May 26 2008, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to have to side with AdamM on this one. There are even songs that refer to the United States of America as "America".

America, America
God shed his grace on thee
Blah blahhhh blah blahhhh...

They were written in America, though...

Point conceded.
That sound so... arrogant. Then again, national athems usually are so every country is guilty.

For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#66 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:30 AM

There are lots of other songs just like that, and sometimes they deserve to be sung. Blind patriotism is pretty prevalent in the USA, especially in the south. Sometimes people will try to tell me that America has never lost a war. When I point out that Vietnam was pretty much a complete loss they say, "But it wasn't a war, it was a conflict!" Please, give me a break. Unfortunately, idiotic news stations have taken to calling it the Vietnam Conflict now.

I'm all for supporting your country, but when it does something stupid its people should feel some level of rage or shame, perhaps both. The way people act now is akin to the parent of the school bully yelling at the principal when their son gets in a fight because their precious little angel would never do anything bad.

#67 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:04 PM

So you lost the Vietnam conflict. Same thing. smile.gif

#68 User is offline   Ghello Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:00 PM

We're gonna lose this current war, I forget why the U.S is in the Middle east now, seriously, can someone tell me.

#69 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:22 PM

Hate to break it to ya buddy but it's much easier to keep your 100% war victory record when you declare war against ideas instead of countries full of people with guns. War on Terror? Failure, but apparently only subjectively. War on Drugs? Failure, subjectively. There aren't any clear conditions for victory or defeat, so the war can drag on however long the politicians want it to. Don't speak out against those murky mission parameters, though; that wouldn't be patriotic.

#70 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:01 AM

QUOTE (joshofalltrades @ May 27 2008, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are lots of other songs just like that, and sometimes they deserve to be sung. Blind patriotism is pretty prevalent in the USA, especially in the south. Sometimes people will try to tell me that America has never lost a war. When I point out that Vietnam was pretty much a complete loss they say, "But it wasn't a war, it was a conflict!" Please, give me a break. Unfortunately, idiotic news stations have taken to calling it the Vietnam Conflict now.

Yeah, it's almost like calling a country a nations name.
I'll give it up now.
All war is conflict. There's no point arguing that it's the Vietnam Conflict, as war, terrorism and even political disagreements are conflict. People should learn to deal with it. Especially in this scenario. You lost, get over it.
Take Australia for example. They went to Gallipoli, stuffed up, admitted defeat and left. America was in a similar scenario, except some of them are too stubborn to believe they could lose. There's more shame in defeat then forfeit, I guess. Even more shame in denying.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#71 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:43 AM

There's only shame in losing for the ultrapatriots - don't forget how unpopular the Vietnam war was in the long term, and how many 'bring troops home, how many kids did LBJ kill today' protests there were.

#72 User is offline   Uszi Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (Patch @ May 24 2008, 02:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I doubt the green will recover any time soon. Bombing Iran, Syria and Palestine will give the United States of America (not America because America is two continents, North America and South America) immediate punishment either from those countries, the UN or the public. Like a child making a scene by hitting an older child with a hammer.

I think the only repercussions of us bombing either or both countries will be a huge fucking mess of a "conflict" in the middle east, that will only weaken us as a nation and then the world will belong to the Chinese and trade will be done in Mandarin.

I'm not sure I agree with the child analogy though. More like a child stepping on an ant hill, and then crying to his mom when all the ant bites start adding up and it hurts too much.

QUOTE (Patch @ May 25 2008, 03:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't care if it's the United States of 'America'. I have my opinion that people shouldn't call it 'America' when it's the US of A. Call it the US for all you like, but saying 'America' annoys me. Haven't you seen the picture, you know, the one that says 'What USA thinks America is' and 'What the rest of the world think America is'. Still you're entitled to your views and I'm entitled to mine.
I'll say!

Eh. I find that this is the opinion of many in Latin America. Our Spanish speaking neighbors to the south are quite touchy about name calling though (my girlfriend hates to be called a 'Latina'). She also tries to get people to call themselves "United Statesians." ... I don't think it's gong to change anytime soon, though.

What's interesting is that many of those countries teach that North and South America are one single continent, and that we here in the United States try to separate them for our own political reasons.

Check this out: read the wikipidia article on continents in English:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

Then translate it to Spanish:
http://es.wikipedia....wiki/Continente

Apparently "7 Continents" translates to "6 continentes" in the Spanish article.

Er. All of that said to add more light to the whole debate--I find it interesting that something you learned since you were in second grade is totally an issue of opinion. Personally, though, I'll call myself an American until I die, no doubt.

This post has been edited by Uszi: 27 May 2008 - 08:15 AM

Do the Evolution!

#73 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:28 PM

Yeah, and also:

#74 User is offline   arien Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (AdamM @ May 27 2008, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, and also:

I was just about to ask where that was! My day is made. biggrin.gif

#75 User is offline   McTalon Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (Patch @ May 27 2008, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take Australia for example. They went to Gallipoli, stuffed up, admitted defeat and left.

Actually, the British High Command fucked up and sent many men, including my great granddad to the wrong beach. We did however get our asses handed to us through many other conflicts, Boer War, Vietnam etc due to political mismanagement

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size