• +

The Juno Embarrassment Monday, May 12, 2008

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:33 PM

The Juno Embarrassment

I talked to my parents yesterday on the phone and found out some disturbing news: They saw Juno. Sure, there's nothing wrong with that except that I haven't seen it yet. This is the latest in a new trend of my parents being hipper than I am. My dad saw Borat, at the theater. I still haven't even seen it on DVD.

I guess I could just pretend to be one of those awful people who brag about how they don't watch TV. Anytime someone asks me if I've seen the latest episode of 24 or Lost I could respond, righteously, that, "Oh no, I don't watch television. Because you can't just say, "No." If you did that then the person you were talking to wouldn't know that you consider yourself their intellectual superior.

Or, even better, I could be one of those people who brag about not even having a TV. Then when people asked if I've seen the latest episode of Everybody Loves Raymond or Becker I could respond with the ever-cutting, "Pssh. I'm sorry [for you, you pitiful plebe!] I don't have a TV."

Then everyone would know that my poop has no scent.

However, none of that is true, thankfully. I'm just terrible at seeing movies and TV shows in a timely manner. Heck, I just finished watching Northern Exposure last year!

Incidentally, Northern Exposure: great show.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:40 PM

Juno: Possibly the most over-rated movie I have ever had the displeasure of seeing, next to I'm Not There. Seriously, they may as well have just called it Indie Movie #33509346.

#3 User is offline   Al Creed Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:48 PM

HAY U GUYS DID U KNOW THAT ELLEN PAGE IS FROM HALIFAX! THAT'S IN CANADA U SEE!

I knew that interesting tidbit, because the fucking media up here would not SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT, from the initial promotion of this pretentious movie, up to Oscar night, when Ellen Page (WHO IS CANADIAN, BTW) was nominated for Best Actress, and lost to that French woman who starred in that horribly depressing French movie about that French singer.

Also, I think you'll enjoy this:

http://www.cracked.c...ore-honest.html

#4 User is offline   #1 Mom Icon

• Chefelf's Mom
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (Al Creed @ May 12 2008, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HAY U GUYS DID U KNOW THAT ELLEN PAGE IS FROM HALIFAX! THAT'S IN CANADA U SEE!

I knew that interesting tidbit, because the fucking media up here would not SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT, from the initial promotion of this pretentious movie, up to Oscar night, when Ellen Page (WHO IS CANADIAN, BTW) was nominated for Best Actress, and lost to that French woman who starred in that horribly depressing French movie about that French singer.

Also, I think you'll enjoy this:

http://www.cracked.c...ore-honest.html

#5 User is offline   #1 Mom Icon

• Chefelf's Mom

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:47 PM

Sorry, movie aficionados, I really liked Juno and so did Chefelf's Dad! rolleyes.gif

Chefelf's Mom

#6 User is offline   Cemetery guy Icon

• Chefelf's Dad
  • Pip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:30 PM

We also enjoyed the the depressing French movie about the French singer as well.

Cheer up Nate, you may grow up to be a cool old guy, like your old man. Did I ever tell you that I went to Woodstock!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (#1 Mom @ May 12 2008, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, movie aficionados, I really liked Juno and so did Chefelf's Dad! rolleyes.gif

Chefelf's Mom

Oh no one here is an aficionado (even those around here who claim to be, aren't). My issue is that the entire time I was watching that movie, I felt like I was being marketed to. I felt as though some 30-something with a $300 haircut was sitting behind me, prodding me and saying "EH!? Pretty good, huh? Man, 'oh my blog!" did you hear that!? Isn't that hilarious and also quirky!? And how about that soundtrack! I bet you've never heard of Kimya Dawson before! You should also buy the soundtrack! Did you know Sonic Youth covered the Carpenters! I know, like it's such a weird thing! AND QUIRKY!"

This is Garden State all over again. I'm going to start hearing the Moldy Peaches on the PA system in malls soon.

This post has been edited by Heccubus: 12 May 2008 - 11:05 PM

#8 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:31 AM

Well, it's hard to see the movie out of the context of the unexpected hype it generated. I get the impression that cynical Gen-Xers would have liked it a lot more if it hadn't gotten the media attention.

I have the DVD for Juno now. It's only a matter of time . . .
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#9 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ May 13 2008, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, it's hard to see the movie out of the context of the unexpected hype it generated. I get the impression that cynical Gen-Xers would have liked it a lot more if it hadn't gotten the media attention.

I have the DVD for Juno now. It's only a matter of time . . .

It's not the attention that bothered me, as I said...well I mean...I'm not repeating all that again, but you understand what I'm getting at. I didn't even really realize how much attention it was getting until the Oscars were upon us.

#10 User is offline   Al Creed Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:03 AM

Dude, you forgot the QUIRKIEST part of it all! SHE OWNS A HAMBURGER TELEPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:11 AM

If it's not a Bananaphone, I want nothing do to with it. *herumph*

Also, don't waste your time with Borat. It's unimaginative tripe thinly veiled as social satire.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#12 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:29 PM

I worked on JUNO. Folks who say that Ellen Page is a sweetheart aren't lying. Most actors are self-absorbed dicks, by the way; even the friendly ones just want to try out material on you. She's just a sweet gal who didn't mind listening to my opinions about the script. I was saddened though that when I told her that Juno was not Zeus's wife, but actually Jupiter's (Juno being Roman, Zeus being Greek), she said "You should have told me that three days ago when we filmed that scene." So unfortunately that dumb error made it all the way to the movie.

PS: I was also saddened, though less so, to see that I didn't make it into the silly crew flick they added to the DVD. I didn't work the whole show, so probably got cut to get more of the regular crew in.

PPS: I enjoyed reading it; and I enjoyed working with those people (we all went curling after wrap (not Bateman or Garner, who were wrapped a week early)); and I enjoyed the movie when I watched it. I fully understand the hype; most pro-choice liberals are pro-life at heart, and can be moved by a sweet piece of non-judgmental pro-life propaganda. I don't think I could watch it a second time, however.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#13 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:25 PM

A good friend of mine is Canadian, and a girl, so I'm required to see this thing now. I shall do so as dutifully as I watch hockey, I suppose.

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 16 May 2008 - 12:26 PM

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#14 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2008 - 03:42 AM

What's her name? Maybe I know her. laugh.gif
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#15 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:38 AM

Her name's Lisa, and she's Canadian, so I'm sure you do know her. Also, she's westernized.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size