Chefelf.com Night Life: 2 Bangs, 1 Buck and a Jack (or, Why I Hate That Guy In My Dream) - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

2 Bangs, 1 Buck and a Jack (or, Why I Hate That Guy In My Dream) Friday, May 2, 2008

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:31 PM

2 Bangs, 1 Buck and a Jack (or, Why I Hate That Guy In My Dream)

Last night I had a bizarre dream, perhaps induced by the fever I had for the past twenty-four hours. In the dream I was in Massachusetts, driving through the Town of Bellingham. I realized that I'd never before noticed there was an A-Train stop right by the exit to Interstate 495. I'd been mistaken in thinking for all these years that Far Rockaway was the last stop on that line! For reasons unknown I decided to park my car and take the subway home from that stop instead of driving back to New York.

When I got in the Subway I got into the subway car that was actually a furnished basement with carpeting, bean bag chairs, wood-paneled walls, and all the other things one would expect to find in a furnished basement from the early 80's.

I asked the guy manning the subway basement-car how much the fair would be. He said, "2 Bangs, 1 Buck and a Jack."

I turned this over in my mind for a few moments. I had no idea what this guy was talking about but, at the same time, I didn't want to seem stupid or uncool so I just sort of nodded my head. After a few more seconds I said, "Okay, so about how much would that be?"

"You know, $7.50," he responded.

$7.50? I quickly ran through what this would mean in my mind and there was really no other explanation. A "Bang" would have to be a one dollar bill. A "Buck" would be a five dollar bill (instead of the one dollar bill it normally refers to). And a "Jack" would be $1.50. This got me angry. As the guy left the car and other passengers began entering I began loudly ridiculing his crappy system for nicknaming money. Who does that? He used seven syllables to say something he could have said with four: "Seven-Fifty."

Seriously, what an asshole.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:26 PM

Wouldn't 2 Bangs, 1 Buck and a Jack be 8.50$?
"I felt insulted until I realized that the people trying to mock me were the same intellectual titans who claimed that people would be thrown out of skyscrapers and feudalism would be re-institutionalized if service cartels don't keep getting political favors and regulations are cut down to only a few thousand pages worth, that being able to take a walk in the park is worth driving your nation's economy into the ground, that sexual orientation is a choice that can be changed at a whim, that problems caused by having institutions can be solved by introducing more institutions or strengthening the existing ones that are causing the problems, and many more profound pearls of wisdom. I no longer feel insulted because I now feel grateful for being alive and witnessing such deep conclusions from my fellows."
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

#3 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (Deucaon @ May 2 2008, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wouldn't 2 Bangs, 1 Buck and a Jack be 8.50$?

Yes. And that may just be the worst part.

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#4 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:27 PM

Where I live the two bangs alone would be about $200. So you got it made in your early-80s dreamland. The jack'd maybe be $20. I don't go in for bucks, but hey man, whatever floats your boat.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#5 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:32 AM

Nate, your dream made me laugh.

Actually, what your dream self should have realized is that you could easily leave a buck $1 if a bang is $3 and a jack is 50 cents. That's less infuriating, but it would still be easier to say $7.50.

#6 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:06 AM

I think your dream guy was propositioning you for sexual favors in lieu of payment. However, I think I solved it. two quarters, a two dollar bill, and a five dollar bill. the two bangs refering to the quarters and the bills being shuffled around in whichever manner makes the most sense.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#7 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:05 PM

It's like an elaborate riddle that that guy gave me in my dream. Unfortunately in the dream my math skills were not refined enough to come up with a correct solution. Even in my dreams mathematics is not my strength.

#8 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:22 PM

Interestingly enough, there's a reason for that: The logical side of the brain responsible for thought and problem solving is truly asleep. Your subconscious creative left brain is what produces dreams, so not many people do math or read in their dreams. Seeing the world through your subconscious mind without it being sullied by thought and logic is one of the reasons some people put a lot of emphasis on dream interpretation.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#9 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:03 PM

At least you don't have to pay that $7.50 (seven fitee). I had a dream where I won $39,000 at a Vegas hotel and only won two bucks (which is 2 bangs), and I'm still waiting for the rest.
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

#10 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:39 PM

$39000 for two bangs in Vegas sounds a bit steep. Even for Vegas.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size