• +

Opinion Get your own, like a life

#31 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (Thaluikhain @ May 2 2008, 05:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, taking everything you want from the untermenschen and giving it to everyone else is good for the everyone else.

Preparing for war meant less unemployment, but without a successful war and lots of foreign resources to take it wouldn't have worked for long.

And..."some decisions that were morally wrong"? Yes, IIRC, he did tend to do quite alot of that.

I did say that I could come up with a better example. Except then I was short on time and now I'm sick, so my reply now might be lacking.

You make good points where I made sketchy ones at best. But you've proven to me that you have developed your own opinion based off fair evidence. I hadn't previously thought of the effect on the economy during the war. I could only remember about the leader, or one of the leaders, before Hitler after WW1 who got rid of the skyrocketing german.... uh... currency and produced a new one.

But I'm digressing. Equally, if you were on the other side of the war, the Germans, Hitler was considered a hero to some for the things that he did. As I said, it wasn't always right what he did, but it made the Germans think he was a great leader.

But looking back through history even there have been many circumstances where people have done things that some criticize and some applaud. Just look at some of the many major inventions. I can't think of any examples just now, as all the ones I think of were criticized at first before being liked later.

I remembered something. Nuclear power in australia was frowned upon because no one wanted 'a nuclear powerplant in their back yard'. Naturally with global warming and the decrease of available world resources nuclear power would have more then likely been useful. But people don't like the idea because of all the negative things they've heard about the plants (meltdowns, especially chernobel).

Of course there were other arguments like the nuclear waste, but overall the ideas been canned. Now if these people had been educated on the other side of it, like how well it produces energy, how safe it actually is etc, then they probably would have been more inclined.

Negative comments being said about a topic shouldn't make you decide. You should evaluate both sides of the argument.

Actually, I've thought of a few more topics that have a similar problem of opinions. Stem cell research, abortion, reproductive and theraputic cloning. Anyway, I've said enough.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#32 User is offline   Papas Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:51 PM

Opinions... everybody should have them surely? I mean, if you're only here to regurgitate what others have already said, why post at all?

We're all here because we appreciate Yahtzee's work. He's a great, funny guy, but he's not some puritanical lord that will purge the doubt from our feeble corpses for wavering from his opinion - in fact, he rather strikes me as the kind of person who'd want to distance himself from such zombielike behaviour.

#33 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE (Papas @ May 7 2008, 03:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Opinions... everybody should have them surely? I mean, if you're only here to regurgitate what others have already said, why post at all?

General praise.
We're all here because we appreciate Yahtzee's work. He's a great, funny guy, but he's not some puritanical lord that will purge the doubt from our feeble corpses for wavering from his opinion - in fact, he rather strikes me as the kind of person who'd want to distance himself from such zombielike behaviour.

Zombielike behaviour is a bit extreme, though not unhead of. I'm just asking people to have an open mind when they try a game and not to be influenced too greatly by his work as an entertainer. As previously said (by others I think) he is an entertainer. I don't think his words should be taken to heavily. His view on things are not always right.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size