• (3 Pages)
  • +

Opinion Get your own, like a life

#1 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:52 AM

I'm in a good mood. Thats why I have come here to bitch. I'm tired of seeing things like 'I won't be getting (game x). It sounds crap.'
Or 'I played (game x) and I realised Yahtzee was right about (comment x)'

I mean, sure, it's all good fun and all. But Yahtzee, surprisingly enough, doesn't always have the same opinion as you. Don't ignore or mock a game because it was reviewed badly. Do that because you don't like it or actually believe it's bad.

Naturally, there are reviews where Yahtzee gives a good review. What if you hate that sort of game, or for some inexplicable reason hate that game. But you buy it (obviously you played it at a friends house or some crap).

Take for example the 'Yahtzee vs CAD' thread.
That was more like 'Yahtzee is right vs I like CAD quite a bit, thankyou'
I read what Yahtzee said, and I thought it would be shit. As a result I read a few comics. They kept me interested enough to read some more. Thank god they did. I like the comic. I'm quite content with the art.

Just like I'm quite content with ZP not trying to improve it's art. You don't try to fix something that works. It's stupid.

Anyway, I'm digressing from the point here.

The thing is, don't hate a game if you don't know what it's like just because some midly famous internet hero hates it. Get your own opinion. Before I decide to ignore anymore threads out of annoyance.

Also

"I agree with (Point x). But I disagree with (Point y). Hahaha (Point z)."
and
"List of the shit that I thought was funny even if the references went over my head"
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#2 User is offline   FFreak3 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:43 AM

Yes, let's talk about things that are completely unrelated to yahtzee, or talk about the games he reviews while failing to mention his opinion at all, because we're pretending that we're not here to talk about yahtzee.

Hello? this is yahtzees forum. People come here to talk about yahtzee and his opinions and games and stories and shit. Not just to talk to each other. Heck, i thought brawl wasn't as good as its predecessors before yahtzee stated it, but why bring that up, (here), before he reviews SSBB?

edit that being said, i agree with some of your sentiment.

This post has been edited by FFreak3: 24 April 2008 - 08:45 AM

#3 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:19 AM

We've had that discussion many times over -- the whole, "You can't talk about non-Yahtzee stuff in the Yahtzee forum! That's like putting bubble gum in the peanut butter!"

The general conclusion we always come to is that if we only ever talked about Yahtzee here, we would only post once in a great while. Personally, I view this forum as a gathering of people who have similar tastes (point and click adventure games, good literature, etc.) and therefore I don't get a tsetse fly up my butt every time somebody posts something not related to Zero Punctuation.

I agree with the original poster to an extent, and it used to be 100%, but some people don't think things through the same way you do. Some people are afraid to waste what little game money they have budgeted on a game that's over-hyped and under-developed. Those people will find a reviewer they trust and take his opinion to heart. For a (surprisingly) large group of people, Yahtzee is that reviewer. He doesn't sugar o'er the devil in his reviews or glaze over "minor" details like other critics do. If he points something out that could be a deal-breaker for these people, they won't buy the game, pure and simple. All the logic in the world isn't going to convince them otherwise.

The sentiment is good, but remember there are other ways to think this through than yours.
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#4 User is offline   Corronchilejano Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:47 AM

I like to think as Yahtzee as a comedian. It's obvious he likes intricate storylines and he's a dead on fan of adventure games, so you have to keep that in mind when checking his reviews. The trendy fashion these last couple of years has been to bitch and rabble about a bad game as much as possible, with the obligatory drag-the-body-tied-to-a-horse-through-the-main-street. Since there are so few authentically bad games nowadays, attention either turns to old games (AVGN, IrateGamer) or just digging as much as possible into small things in new games (ZP).

ZP is not objective reviewing, it's the point of view of a single man with a certain way of thinking. Live with it, laugh if you like it, and if you don't, talk about it, I mean, that's why he does all these things and he still keeps a forum (alhtough I doubt he really reads all this crap).

What you should NOT do, is just bitch and whine and have no fun.

#5 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:35 AM

I think you're missing the point the OP was trying to make which is:

"You don't have to agree with everything the man says or does"

It does get kinda bland when you see nothing but ego-stroking an fanboyisms crop up here. Differing opinions, viewpoints and constructive criticism should be welcome as well.

I do agree on the comedian bit. He works to dig material out of games to make those reviews. It may even be nitpicking. But the end result is a hilarious commentary. It's no definitive bible to what is and is not good in the gaming world.

#6 User is offline   Ghello Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:20 PM

I dig Yahtzee because he's funny, I think that should be the only reason why also. He's given bad reviews to games I love, I still love them, everyone else should also, but minus the tears many people bring on here.

#7 User is offline   Corronchilejano Icon

• New Cop

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:08 PM

The actual reason I started to see this website was due to 7 days a skeptic. I sure wish he would continue with this legacy, probably getting paid money to do it.

#8 User is offline   FFreak3 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:35 PM

you do realize that 5DAS, and 7DAS are followed by trilby's notes and 6DAS, right?

in order:
5 days a stranger
7 days a skeptic
trilby's notes
6 days a sacrifice.

Also, he's not getting paid for the games, he's getting paid for the zp reviews. the site was his own project on his way to selling out.

#9 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (joshofalltrades @ Apr 25 2008, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some people are afraid to waste what little game money they have budgeted on a game that's over-hyped and under-developed. Those people will find a reviewer they trust and take his opinion to heart. For a (surprisingly) large group of people, Yahtzee is that reviewer. He doesn't sugar o'er the devil in his reviews or glaze over "minor" details like other critics do. If he points something out that could be a deal-breaker for these people, they won't buy the game, pure and simple.

I would happily accept that view, to an extent. But some people completely make their choices on games based off whether 'reviewer x' likes it or not. Sure, if you're strapped for cash and having a tough time picking, listen to Yahtzee's view. But if you're not totally limited in your choices and you have tried a game, don't ignore it because Yahtzee doesn't like it. I've played games that my friends thought were good that I hated and vice versa. Quite often games weren't bought for that reason. Just because someone likes something doesn't mean you will.

The sentiment is good, but remember there are other ways to think this through than yours.

I'm trying to get a similar point accross as this. But not the same one.

QUOTE (Corronchilejano @ Apr 25 2008, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ZP is not objective reviewing, it's the point of view of a single man with a certain way of thinking. Live with it, laugh if you like it, and if you don't, talk about it, I mean, that's why he does all these things and he still keeps a forum (alhtough I doubt he really reads all this crap).

But the thing is, people do adapt this thinking as their own and ignore quality games. Not saying SSBB, but certain games in general. Like guitar hero 3. Best buy I ever got, I think.

I seriously hope you're not saying thats me.

QUOTE (reiner @ Apr 25 2008, 01:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you're missing the point the OP was trying to make which is:

"You don't have to agree with everything the man says or does"

It does get kinda bland when you see nothing but ego-stroking an fanboyisms crop up here. Differing opinions, viewpoints and constructive criticism should be welcome as well.

Exactly.

QUOTE (Corronchilejano @ Apr 25 2008, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The actual reason I started to see this website was due to 7 days a skeptic. I sure wish he would continue with this legacy, probably getting paid money to do it.

I came to Yahtzee's sight after downloading and playing 5DAS. Then 7DAS. I was hooked. I think that was shortly before TN came out. I read all of Yahtzee's features on his sight and was quite content. The reviews are probably just a phase, or a step up of what he did before his games.

The edit was neatening.

This post has been edited by Patch: 24 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#10 User is offline   Uszi Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (Corronchilejano @ Apr 24 2008, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like to think as Yahtzee as a comedian. It's obvious he likes intricate storylines and he's a dead on fan of adventure games, so you have to keep that in mind when checking his reviews. The trendy fashion these last couple of years has been to bitch and rabble about a bad game as much as possible, with the obligatory drag-the-body-tied-to-a-horse-through-the-main-street. Since there are so few authentically bad games nowadays, attention either turns to old games (AVGN, IrateGamer) or just digging as much as possible into small things in new games (ZP).

I agree -- Yahtzee seems more comedian, less critical reviewer. He does critically review things, please don't misunderstand me. But I've always felt he first tries to be funny, and second tries to be critical.

Also, his update tells me that I think HE takes it much, much less seriously than any of his own fan boys. The fact that he's shrugging off the shit storm he created leads to to believe that he treats ZP as just another one of his pet projects--perhaps his most popular, and highest paying pet projects, but a pet project none-the-less.

If you read some of his interviews, he has always said that he definitely does not want to be doing ZP for his whole life, he doesn't want to only be remembered for it. I doubt he defines himself as the ZP guy.

So... I find it interesting, that there was so much fighting and bitterness at TheEscapist over something that the original creator probably treats as, "That thing I need to do this week that's kind of fun, that pays the bills, but is becoming increasingly tiresome."

And, I apologize if I overload this post with three unrrelated points, but I honestly feel that any fan boy can see the faults in their games, and because the main goal of ZP is humor, they can laugh. Hence we get the, "X game is great, and Yahtzee is absolutely right on [point Z." Or, someone who hates on a given game for their own reasons enjoys the parody, and thus we get the, "X game sucks and I agree with Yahtzee."

I see absolutely, positively nothing wrong with agreeing or disagreeing with Yahtzee's comments. I also see nothing wrong with comments along the lines of:

"List of the shit that I thought was funny even if the references went over my head"

The point of the commentary after the videos is to TALK about the video, and thus people want to discuss the points they did or did not enjoy. If you DON'T care what other people thought, then I invite you to NOT read the comments. This seems like a much easier solution then creating a thread to try and convince everyone that they should stop their discussions.

QUOTE (Patch @ Apr 24 2008, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I came to Yahtzee's sight after downloading and playing 5DAS. Then 7DAS. I was hooked. I think that was shortly before TN came out. I read all of Yahtzee's features on his sight and was quite content. The reviews are probably just a phase, or a step up of what he did before his games.

The edit was neatening.

I found out about ZP from a friend, who generally introduces me to the internets obscurities.

Then I saw AoT on the escapists, and figured I'd give it a go as I was bored at the time. I became addicted, and they provided a link to FullyRamblomatic, and thus I arrived. I think I downloaded and played all the games before I started posting.

I agree with the phase--but that would be my aforementioned main point.

Also, I've never felt like I've needed to clarify my edits. I never thought people would look into what was edited and why. A lot of times, I'll combine double posts, or neaten as you said, or something along those lines with no explanation at all.

This post has been edited by Uszi: 24 April 2008 - 09:51 PM

Do the Evolution!

#11 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:32 AM

QUOTE (Uszi @ Apr 25 2008, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The point of the commentary after the videos is to TALK about the video, and thus people want to discuss the points they did or did not enjoy. If you DON'T care what other people thought, then I invite you to NOT read the comments. This seems like a much easier solution then creating a thread to try and convince everyone that they should stop their discussions.

That I will cop that as it is a fair point. Admittedly, if I have a problem with it, I should ignore it. However, that was not the main focus of my argument. That was more just a peeve. It's not so much discussing the ZP that I have a problem with. It's just a dull repeat of what happens. Equally, it was criticism at people who quote something without getting the reference, though that may not apply here.
I picked those two lines specifically as they are what you see. I mean, just showing a bunch of quotes can be meaningless, at times. Once again, it probably doesn't apply to here. Or maybe I'm generalising. Whatever.
The point of this particular post is, while what you said is fair, the general trend is those two lines, but that wasn't the original point anyway.

Also, I've never felt like I've needed to clarify my edits. I never thought people would look into what was edited and why. A lot of times, I'll combine double posts, or neaten as you said, or something along those lines with no explanation at all.

General anxiety.
I typed that first and then realised it didn't really explain anything.

Also, I check up and reply frequently to defend my actions.

This post has been edited by Patch: 25 April 2008 - 03:34 AM

For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#12 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:08 AM

Patch, should we be applying the message in your original post to itself? Are we supposed to be disagreeing with you and say that we should obey others' opinions? If we are, have you created a paradox?

#13 User is offline   Uszi Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE (Patch @ Apr 25 2008, 04:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
General anxiety.
I typed that first and then realised it didn't really explain anything.

Also, I check up and reply frequently to defend my actions.

Meh, so do I.
I just meant that I had never considered before that someone might think, "I wonder wtf he edited?"
I'm wondering if I should. huh.gif
Do the Evolution!

#14 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE (Uszi @ Apr 25 2008, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meh, so do I.
I just meant that I had never considered before that someone might think, "I wonder wtf he edited?"
I'm wondering if I should. huh.gif

I was once in a community (forum) where I saw someone have;
EDIT:
And what they had edited. I dunno. Guess I just picked it up.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#15 User is offline   Battlefrank Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (FFreak3 @ Apr 24 2008, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, let's talk about things that are completely unrelated to yahtzee, or talk about the games he reviews while failing to mention his opinion at all, because we're pretending that we're not here to talk about yahtzee.

Hello? this is yahtzees forum. People come here to talk about yahtzee and his opinions and games and stories and shit. Not just to talk to each other. Heck, i thought brawl wasn't as good as its predecessors before yahtzee stated it, but why bring that up, (here), before he reviews SSBB?

edit that being said, i agree with some of your sentiment.

YOu didn't seem to agree at all with that a little while ago... Fucking asshole.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size