Chefelf.com Night Life: I know why people like these movies - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (4 Pages)
  • +

I know why people like these movies I figured it out !

#31 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:45 AM

My mistake - I meant to post that last comment under a different topic. Sorry.
***IGNORE MESSAGE ***

#32 Guest_Commoner_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:33 PM

Another thing I notice about people who like the prequels (and the SEs), is that change doesn't bother them, that they are not traditionalists, that they will abandoned anything in favor of something flashier and newer. These are the same people who are like Ted Turner, that adding color to the older black and white films is okay.

They don't look for the nuances (and I don't mean the modern, political connotations of that word) or the romance, or the permenancy of established articles.

I've seen a poll now, that the same people who like the SEs are quite alright with the SE versions of the PT (problem with this for me is that it'll never be SE-ed enough to be satisifactory--the only way to save the PT is totally start over from scratch!).

Am I on the right track or not?

#33 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:26 AM

you are right,

I've been pushing for that for a few years now!

#34 User is offline   Rory Icon

• Supreme Master of all Lance & Eskimo and Chefelf Forums EVER
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Well, I enjoy a fine bottle of scotch sometimes. I am also interested in women. I'm not a homosexual, if that is what you are implying. <br><br>I also enjoy skateboarding, riding the cerf, killing bugbears, and Stratego. <br><br>I am a devote Catholic (in case you couldn't tell! lol). <br><br>Other than that, I am just a normal guy. I believe Nixon got it right the first time, that we should live in a society with an elaborate caste system, and that the only thing better than looking like a million bucks is Being a million bucks... Literally!

Posted 13 May 2004 - 01:11 AM

I have a few counter points to bring up:

1. What the fuck is wrong with leaf blowers? This is my principle counterpoint. Leaf Blowers seem like they could actually be pretty cool. Granted, I have never used one, so maybe I'm missing something, but anything that makes the terrible job of gathering leaves a little more bearable is A OK in my book. Maybe you prefer your leaves on the ground, which is fine I guess, but surely you cannot fault someone for wanting a well tended lawn!

2. Friends was not a terrible show. It was not a masterpiece of television either, but it certainly had its moments. I am far from a Friends fan, but I can attest to having enjoyed watching quite a few episodes of Friends. Quite frankly, it is often funny.

3. Obi Wan Kenobi did not only appear in times of need. In the very last scene of Return of the Jedi, he, yoda, and anakin appear as ghosts just to wave at Luke. Furthermore, while Qui Gon's appearance probably wouldnt be an amazing idea in the third movie, im open to the possibility that it could be work in the appropirate context. (even if this is unlikely) At the very least, it would show an element of continuity. As for someones comment that the world would be overrun by the ghosts of jedi by now, maybe it is. However, that does not mean those ghosts choose to reveal themselves to any old shmuck. Perhaps, they dont even have the power to. Perhaps they can only reveal themselves to former pupals, or more likely, to people they have a close (whether familiar, friendly, or emotional)connection to. If Qui Gon revealed himself to Kanobi, it would fit with this thoery.

#35 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:03 AM

Hello Rory, welcome to the forum. I'll answer your query about what the fuck is wrong with leaf blowers.

In order to get rid of leaves, you need to pile them up and dispose of them. A leaf blower cannot do this. All it will do is shift your leaves from your lawn onto your driveway or onto your neighbour's lawn. And if you go for the latter, your neighbour will most likely put those leaves back onto your lawn.

Leaf blowers may have some practical uses - but cleaning up leaves is not one of them.

Friends is an appalling show. Perhaps it is funny on occasions. I may have even seen some funny moments myself, though I cannot remember them. However, in order to justify it being on television screens for so long as an enormously popular comedy show, then I think it should always be funny.

In addition to this, the characters of Friends and the people who act them, are six of the most annoying people you could ever meet. Who would honestly want to share one second of their lives in the company of these people?

#36 User is offline   Ferris Wiel Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ May 13 2004, 04:03 AM)
Hello Rory, welcome to the forum.  I'll answer your query about what the fuck is wrong with leaf blowers.

In order to get rid of leaves, you need to pile them up and dispose of them.  A leaf blower cannot do this.  All it will do is shift your leaves from your lawn onto your driveway or onto your neighbour's lawn.  And if you go for the latter, your neighbour will most likely put those leaves back onto your lawn.

Leaf blowers may have some practical uses - but cleaning up leaves is not one of them.

Friends is an appalling show.  Perhaps it is funny on occasions.  I may have even seen some funny moments myself, though I cannot remember them.  However, in order to justify it being on television screens for so long as an enormously popular comedy show, then I think it should always be funny.

In addition to this, the characters of Friends and the people who act them, are six of the most annoying people you could ever meet.  Who would honestly want to share one second of their lives in the company of these people?

RE: Leafblowers -
Michael J. Nelson of MST3K fame wrote of the evils of the leaf blower in his book Mike Nelson's Mind Over Matters. I highly recommend this book of humorous essays and observations. I also recommend his book Mike Nelson's Death Rat and Mike Nelson's Ultra-Mega-Movie Cheese.

RE: Friends -
Come, now! You're not attempting to convince me that at least one time the thought of bagging Jennifer Aniston didn't cross your mind, are you? Strangely enough, Michael J. Nelson wrote about these folks as well in MNUMMC.

RE: Apparitions -
It is a tired plot device no matter how you slice it, although in ESB it was more like Hamlet's father, by ROTJ (a shitfest nearly on par with the PT) it would appear as though he were hanging out with Luke regularly: They'd get together for barbecues, carpool together and even, on occasion, hit the bars and scope some lovelies. Of course, then you have Yoda and Ani getting together later and then it started getting a little crowded. Luke eventually had to quit the whole Sixth Sense party scene because they were cramping his style. I mean Obi was fine, but who wants to go picking up chicks with his dad?

--FW

This post has been edited by Ferris Wiel: 13 May 2004 - 04:45 PM

#37 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ May 13 2004, 04:03 AM)
Hello Rory, welcome to the forum.

Rory is member number 5. rolleyes.gif

Leafblowers seem like a waste. Don't they just move leaves somewhere else? Leaf vaporizors... now THAT'S an idea.

Friends had its moments (seasons 2-5) but has been pretty lackluster the past few years. I confess that I've probably seen less than 5 episodes during primetime and watched everything else on reruns.

How did the discussion get to this?
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#38 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:21 PM

It's Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese...

Friends was okay in the early years. Chandler was likeable at least. Phoebe had her moments. Rachel is pretty consistently unbearable, but Ross kind of grew on me around season 5 or so... but the last 2-3 seasons have been totally unfunny, except for that one thanksgiving episode.

#39 User is offline   Rory Icon

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Well, I enjoy a fine bottle of scotch sometimes. I am also interested in women. I'm not a homosexual, if that is what you are implying. <br><br>I also enjoy skateboarding, riding the cerf, killing bugbears, and Stratego. <br><br>I am a devote Catholic (in case you couldn't tell! lol). <br><br>Other than that, I am just a normal guy. I believe Nixon got it right the first time, that we should live in a society with an elaborate caste system, and that the only thing better than looking like a million bucks is Being a million bucks... Literally!

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:47 PM

Granted, I haven't seen Friends lately, but Joey and Chandler were always pretty funny. There haven't been many times when I've watched Friends and thought "Oh this is just miserable. I would sincerely rather die." Most often I'll watch Friends and be mildly to moderately entertained, which is all that I really expect from a Sitcom anyway.

As for leaf blowers, well it seems like it would be fun to duke it out with your neighbor, assuming you didnt like him very much.

And I guess if you never liked the jedi ghosts, you arent going to like them if they pop up again. However, it just seems silly that ONLY Obi Wan would be a ghost; that just seems unfair.

#40 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:49 PM

Anakin and Yoda have been ghosts, too. Seems like something powerful jedi can just do.

The last season or so of friends has been pretty miserable.

#41 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (Laura @ May 13 2004, 06:49 PM)
The last season or so of friends has been pretty miserable.

I'm glad I missed it. The only thing that continually got better was Ross. He started to LOSE HIS MIND in the later episodes. I found that very enjoyable.

The more weddings and children that entered the story... the lamer it became. The same is usually true of most any sitcom.

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#42 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:54 PM

And life!

Let's face it folks, our glory days are ending! Nate, I bet you'll be the first to go. I throw my bouquet to you.

#43 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:59 PM

ohmy.gif

I think that life works the opposite way. Getting married and having children can be a wonderous thing in real life but it's not that great for a sitcom. The time between marriage and children is no good... it only gets funny again once the kids are grown up and the couple becomes jaded.

Ahh life.

#44 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 13 May 2004 - 07:11 PM

Ferris Whiel, for the record, I never once fantasized about getting with Jennifer Aniston. She's one of the most annoying celebrities I've ever seen on television.

#45 User is offline   Rory Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2004 - 07:33 PM

"I think that life works the opposite way. Getting married and having children can be a wonderous thing in real life but it's not that great for a sitcom. The time between marriage and children is no good... it only gets funny again once the kids are grown up and the couple becomes jaded."

Oh GOD Nate, you just disagree for the sake of disagreeing. Its like you are some sort of slimy creature that lives under a frozen lake, and feeds on arguments or something.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size