Chefelf.com Night Life: Charlton Heston Dead at 84 - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Charlton Heston Dead at 84 1923-2008

#1 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:19 PM

http://www.latimes.c...0,3675317.story

Another icon of cinema is lost. "The 10 Commandments" was one of my favorite films. Rest In Peace, Mr. Heston.

This post has been edited by Lord Aquaman: 06 April 2008 - 09:20 PM

I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#2 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:57 PM

I'll bet Death didn't claim this soul without copping a few gunshot wounds first.

He was an awsome actor though...

#3 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:25 AM

Now. Time to pry that rifle from them cold dead hands! tongue.gif

..... no, really. Spoken in respect. Good actor, true professional, with a solid tenure of strong films.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#4 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:52 AM

My earliest movie memory is The Ten Commandments

Thats a big deal especially since he's my Dad's fav actor

I can't honestly say Best. Moses. Ever!

This post has been edited by TruJade: 07 April 2008 - 01:52 AM

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#5 User is offline   BigStupidDogFacedArse Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:32 AM

Fanboys of moveon.org, Moore, and Clooney are all happy I'm sure. But they're stupid assholes so whocares what they think.

Heston was an awesome actor. I'm not sure if he could be called dynamic or well rounded, but what he did do, he did very well. His style is his and only his, nobody else can do Heston.

And sure, the man loved his guns and I have no doubt he's shooting skeet with the angelic long range rifle association.

( Lord Aqua man: Ben Hur >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ten Commandments, no really it was way better!!)

#6 User is offline   TheOrator Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:05 PM

On Thursday my dad wanted to watch an action movie.

"Do we have the Planet of the Apes collection?"

"No."

On Friday my dad was in a bad mood, so my step-mom offered to go to Best Buy to get it. We didn't.

On Saturday, we heard.

On Sunday, we watched The Omega Man.

We still don't have Planet of the Apes.

- - -

Rest in Peace, Mr Heston.

You will be missed.
"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum."
-John Carpenter's They Live

"God help us...in the future."
-Plan 9 from Outer Space

nooooo

#7 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:11 PM

I doubt it's fair to say that Michael Moore and George Clooney are "happy" that Charlton Heston is dead. That's insulting. I don't know what George Clooney had to say about it, Michael Moore's film doesn't ask for gun control. Michael Moore opens the film by announcing that he is a member of the NRA. His film was about questioning the roots of violence and gun mismanagement in the US, not about taking guns from people.

I think Charlton Heston was a good actor. I wouldn't want unlimited gun control, but I also wouldn't want unlimited gun access. The NRA believes that it is a violation of privacy to register gun ownership, but not that it is a violation of privacy for phone companies to give over entire databases of call information to the FBI. Charlton Heston advocated censoring the lyrics of Negro rap music. So he wasn't 100% freedom of speech. Maybe he simply didn't like the title "Cop Killer," but maybe he didn't realise that like a lot of guys his age, he was just a wee bit racist. There is some reason to suggest that he believed that American violence had roots in race differences from the things he said in Moore's film. And I don't think that having opinion's about race makes a man evil or deserving of death; I think it's just a part of being a person, and to hell with PC bullshit.

I disagree with a lot of Charlton Heston's politics, and I think he acted in some fine films. Disagreeing with a man's politics doesn't suggest a fellow would be happy when that man dies. To suggest such a thing is to have a comic book understanding of human morality. Disagree with Clooney and Moore all you like; your politics are your own business. But it's childish to try to make demons of them while you do it. Your opinions ought to be able to support their own weight without all the hyperbole.

Agreed that BEH HUR is a much better film than THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. The latter had 40s glamour girls speaking in the vernacular and it comes across as pretty camp today. BEN HUR was more of an achievement in its day, and it holds up better now. IMO. I think Lord Aquaman secretly felt this himself, when he posted that Ben Hur still.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#8 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:22 PM

Fanboys of moveon.org, Moore, and Clooney are all happy I'm sure. But they're stupid assholes so whocares what they think.

Ah great idea. No one had politicized the topic yet so you just decided that you'd do it preemptively, stating that people with different political views on gun control or who liked various celebrities or groups, must be very happy and then after throwing that around you went on to claim that anyone who likes Michael Moore, a democratic campaign site, or, more nonsensicly, George Clooney, must be an asshole and shouldnt be listened to. I wonder, do you have anything to back this up at all?

I happen to be a fan of all three of the aforementioned, but I dont see anything funny about a guy who was part of the NRA dying. I mean, did he even really DO anything to make people think his death would be a good thing? He acted in some movies and liked guns. I don't think that deserves the intense hatred that you attribute to members of the left.

I have not yet seen a Heston film aside from the planet of the apes deals, and those were pretty decent. He seems to have been a good actor and...

BAH ENOUGH OF THIS FRONT CHARLTON HESTON IS DEAD BWAHAHAHA I WILL DRINK HIS BLOOD FOR I AM TEH EVIL LIBERAL!

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#9 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:03 PM

... Are you really trying to reason with someone who just decided a group of people and an actor were stupid assholes because he presumably dislikes their politics?
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#10 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:45 PM

Not because he dislikes their politics, because he dislikes the stance he figures they might have on someone's death. It's just like that one time I decided you were an antisemite because you probably laughed when Allen Ginsberg died.

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 07 April 2008 - 11:46 PM

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#11 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:40 AM

Well that was actually pretty funny. I mean, slipping into a bonfire at a clambake is an odd way for a Jew to die.

#12 User is offline   BigStupidDogFacedArse Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:13 AM

Oh settle down ladies.

I think I can reserve the right to call Clooney, Moore, and Moveon.org a bunch of assholes. Clooney and Moore have it out for the NRA, a bunch of guys who like to shoot guns for fun; demonize and publicy attack an old man with a brain disease; Moveon.org is a fanboy site for university students who go around drawing hitler moustachios on Tony Blair and think George Bush was responsible for the death of Cindy Sheehans little boy.

It was throw away jab and easily ignorable. If you didn't want to turn it into an event you could've ignored it. But you did and you probably enjoyed making the comment, so shut up.

Heston did good acting.

This post has been edited by BigStupidDogFacedArse: 08 April 2008 - 11:41 AM

#13 User is offline   BigStupidDogFacedArse Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:46 AM

Are you really trying to reason with someone who just decided a group of people and an actor were stupid assholes because he presumably dislikes their politics?

I wouldn't try reason with someone who just decided politics is no grounds for name calling. Honestly, it's the most fertile grounds we have as a people.

#14 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:13 PM

I think I can reserve the right to call Clooney, Moore, and Moveon.org a bunch of assholes.

Sure you can, but it's inappropriate to act defensively for a guy over feelings that you believe might exist against him after he's died, despite having no evidence what so ever. If you truly believe that any of the aforementioned men and groups suddenly started rejoycing in the streets after the death of someone they had a very vague and possibly antagonistic connection with, you're messed up. A better statement would have been:

"Some guy whose child was run over twice by Charlton Heston is laughing right now, if such a person exists" You see, that even would create the kind of wish for another person's death that brings about joy at the aforementioned event. Having different political views than someone does not mean you will be happy when they die, and in any event Charlton Heston wasn't a politician.

It was throw away jab and easily ignorable.

No, no it wasnt. When you insult the fans of a website with millions of users, and the fans of two film makers with millions of adherents, it's a fair bet that you're calling someone on the forums an asshole for no reason. At the very least I've seen Three Kings and all of Moore's films, Civ doesn't seem unfamiliar with his work, and neither is Slade. So there's three random insults and intonations that we personally are applauding this guy's death.

And even if that (somehow) wasnt your intention it's still a really weaselly thing to do to take the death of someone who played little part in politics and turn it into an attack on all things liberal for absolutely no reason. The guy dies and you decide "hey, I bet this is a good excuse to make fun of that fatty Michael Moore" That to me seems as insensitive as the statements you (pointlessly) attribute to Mr. Moore et al.

#15 User is offline   BigStupidDogFacedArse Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:04 PM

Honestly, it's not a big deal. Also, I'm sorry to hear you're a fanboy of moveon.org, I suppose you could do worse things.

(Moore is an asshole. Take it from him ----> http://www.slate.com/id/2102723/ )

I disagree with a lot of Charlton Heston's politics, and I think he acted in some fine films. Disagreeing with a man's politics doesn't suggest a fellow would be happy when that man dies. To suggest such a thing is to have a comic book understanding of human morality. Disagree with Clooney and Moore all you like; your politics are your own business. But it's childish to try to make demons of them while you do it. Your opinions ought to be able to support their own weight without all the hyperbole.

Shame on me! I recant my comment, I had no clue people would take it so serious, honestly. I also take back my comment on the Angelic shooting range, truth be told I don't believe in heaven.

Also, truth be told once again, I don't actually know if every single moveon.org guy is throwing a party over hestons death, nor should I claim Moore or Clooney are thrilled over the passing of a right wing actor.

Thanks for exposing me guys and showing me the light, seriously.

This post has been edited by BigStupidDogFacedArse: 08 April 2008 - 02:05 PM

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size