Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Anakin the BEST Element Anakin owns

#1 User is offline   Thuglife Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 20 November 2003 - 07:50 PM

Anakin is by far the best element in the new Star Wars movies, the actor himself Hayden Christensen owns, hes a great actor and by far the best.. He has some amazing lines in the movies, some classic lines, even more amazing than alot of lines in the old episodes.. for example - "I will be the most powerful jedi EVER, I promise you.. I will even learn to stop people from dying.." that line is powerful and it owns the way the actor carries this line, its truely great. if anyone hates anakin they should look at the movie again.. or get their hearing / eyes checked

#2 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 November 2003 - 08:12 PM

Normally when people are sarcarstic, they use smilies like rolleyes.gif to show it.

If I recall correctly, the Keanu Reeves acts better than the dude. (In movies like Point Break and the Martix, other characters have to say what they see Keanu's character as acting like, because the audience can't tell.) Although, I admit, it often wasn't his fault, but the fault of the script Lucas gave him.

EDIT: You're right, that is interesting how Anakin wants to stop people from dying and thinks he can, but the bad lines take precedence over the good.

#3 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 21 November 2003 - 07:57 AM

Here’s a quote from a summary of a Q & A session with GL.

The bad acting in Episode II was "done on purpose” and is "part of the style.” 

See the whole story at:

TFN Coverage

Original Q & A Session

I have no problem with "style" but it's got to help the story telling, not detract from it.
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

#4 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 21 November 2003 - 09:43 AM

The bad acting in Episode II was "done on purpose” and is "part of the style.” 

That makes me so angry I can't even explain it. I can feel my blood boiling as I write this. This is such a load of crap. Lucas has always taken the "I told you so" approach to his movies. "I was always planning to do prequels." "I always intended to do this." "I wrote the prequels in 1975 when I wrote the first movie."

It's a bunch of crap. The man who changed Han Solo's character completely would NOT have intentionally made brother and sister kiss if he knew they were to be siblings. Unless he has some sort of strange hierarchy of sin in which incest is fine and killing (even in self defense) is bad.

That brings me to the next point in that interview:

Greedo was always supposed to have shot first. The original version was an editing error.

There he goes again. Lying his fool head off. How could that be an editing error? How? In what way could they have forgotten or screwed that up? Greedo was NOT supposed to shoot first! There is no possible explanation for how he could have possibly missed if he'd shot first. He was sitting two feet in front of Han Solo. There's only one possible way he could have missed and that is best explained in this amazing short story by my friend and fellow Brother Redcloud, Jacques.

The Passions of Greedo

Since Lucas doesn't have a leg to stand on in the defense of the whole Greedo shooting first blunder he may resort to eventually using Jacques's story as the official explanation.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#5 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 21 November 2003 - 04:09 PM

Hey,

That link njamilla posted included an article about the original trilogy on DVD. Many proposed changes. All simple cleanups I figure, whatever. I don't think thery're necessary, and of coourse they affect the film as a piece of cinema history, but go ahead. And I guess while you're at it, fix Luke's hair so he doesn't look so 70s.

But here's what slew me, and it's in keeping with some things we've been discussing here and elsewhere, on the notion of STAR WARS as myth, and more specifically, on the notion of how Lucas is trying to turn STAR WARS into myth, now after the fact, as though to show how smart he is, when it's obvious he's doing it after the fact and so it's not smart at all but sad. Anyway, according to the rumour, Anikin's new last words are to be "It is finished." I don't know if that's just evil gossip or not, but God damn, I really hope it's true. I will pee my pants if that is true.

Mike.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#6 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 21 November 2003 - 07:59 PM

I've posted new topics on the proposed changes. They are merely rumors but still worth discussing.

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#7 User is offline   Kornbread Icon

• New Cop

Posted 22 November 2003 - 10:07 AM

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Based upon his reviews in his new movie, and previous gigs before Ep2, Hayden Christianson is regarded as a very good actor. However, when you are forced to recite dialogue that is written on an 8-yr old level, Lawrence Olivier would sound corny.

#8 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2003 - 04:19 PM

btw chefelf just curious how did he change Han Solo's character completely? He seemed pretty much the same guy throughout with minor changes. Episode IV he's a pure rogue with seemingly no morals and endless cockiness until the end. Episode V he's cooler with the same cockiness but with apparently new morals and a "sensitive" side. Episode VI he's frozen half the movie, spends the battle getting his eyesight back, and still seemingly has the same rogue spirit, but now has more concerns than before, with the Falcon taken by Lando, his new love for Leia, etc. And he's still good in battle. Didn't seem to me like his character changed too much, and as for the Luke-Leia thing, I believe this. In Episode IV Lucas had no idea that they were related, but gave them a fairly plutonic relationship just in case Leia and Han hit it off with the fans. They did, and especially Han did, and so he strenghtens the Han-Leia relationship, coming up with Luke and Leia being brother and sister. He gives hints at their relationshp (Yoda saying there is another, Leia having a special bond with Luke, almost, almost a sibling bond. Hmm), but yet wants us to still have doubt about it so there is a bit of tension, so he, with his sick sense of humor (don't forget, he does have one, considering he has a 9 year old Anakin and a 14 year old Padme who doesn't look 14 in Episode I who we are supposed to believe fall in love and conceive Luke and Leia, little disgusting thinking about that with Jake Lloyd), adds in the kiss which thankfully has no tongue. I think both of those things are fine, but all this shit about the prequels and changes to the originals is ridiculous.

#9 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 22 November 2003 - 08:11 PM

I'll speak for Chefelf on this one.

Consider STAR WARS as a film on its own. Han starts out as a self-centred rogue, the type who would shoot a guy under the table just to get the drop on him. By the end of the film he's decided to say "screw the reward" and actually takes his chances flying back to face the Death Star. Lucky for him, the gun towers weren't focused on him.

In the special ed, Greedo shoots first. This makes Han the sort of guy who won't shoot unless he's shot at. Dumb dumb dumb. Not only is it stupid to make Greedo such a bad shot, but it's stupid also to make Han nice at the beginning since then he has no arc.

Mike.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#10 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2003 - 10:26 PM

Oh I didn't realize he meant the Greedo scene I thought he meant in the original editions not the SE, nvm Chef I completely agree about that one.

#11 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 23 November 2003 - 08:10 AM

Han's character wouldn't be as interesting (if not vital to the story) had he not started out as a rogue and then came to see the importance of siding with Luke and their cause.

You think Han's all out for himself, and then he shows up at the end. Doesn't Luke think he's too small to make a change in the universe? Han too. And he works as a great foil to palace bred Leia.
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

#12 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 23 November 2003 - 09:45 AM

Yeah, Han's character was our last hope. clumsy and random. less elegant for a less civilized time. Anyone else dreading his certain introduction in episode 3?

#13 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 23 November 2003 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Nov 23 2003, 09:45 AM)
Yeah, Han's character was our last hope. clumsy and random. less elegant for a less civilized time. Anyone else dreading his certain introduction in episode 3?

Yes. You just know he's gonna be in there as a kid or something. He'll probably run into Chewbacca in a super embarrassing scene that makes youw ant to curl up and die.

Ooh, I just thought of something that would be so bad it would overshadow everything else we've seen so far. Are you ready... ?

A CGI Chewbacca!!

#14 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2003 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Nov 23 2003, 05:26 PM)
Ooh, I just thought of something that would be so bad it would overshadow everything else we've seen so far. Are you ready... ?

A CGI Chewbacca!!

You are a bad, bad man. Don't you realise that Lucas may be trawling these forums looking for more suitably lame ideas to stick into the next film.

Well actually, we know he's not as we've established he's basically lazy so there is probably someone else trawling for him.

<sigh> It's gonna hurt. I just know it's gonna hurt...
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#15 User is offline   Feej Icon

• New Cop

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Nov 21 2003, 04:09 PM)
Anyway, according to the rumour, Anikin's new last words are to be "It is finished."  I don't know if that's just evil gossip or not, but God damn, I really hope it's true.  I will pee my pants if that is true.

That would be sooooo bad for so many reasons!

Almost sounds like he's pinched a line from "Jesus Christ Superstar"!

Excuse me while I puke.....

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size