New episode, unlikely game.

I also screwed up the title, mah bad.

This post has been edited by Ghello: 26 March 2008 - 11:42 AM

#2 User is offline   Sofox Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:48 PM

Yep, I was wondering how he'd take on the Adventure genre given his background.
He never made any explicit references, but he did head us off with that comment about being aware of the hypocrisy at the end.

Hey, anyone see that ad with the basketball after ZP? Weird.

This post has been edited by Sofox: 26 March 2008 - 12:49 PM

#3 User is offline   Man Of Doom Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:53 PM

Good review. And I wouldn't say he was being in any way hypocritical anyway as his games were actually really well written and it actually made sense if you died. Dying in a horror game is something you should expect to happen.
LOVE, the source of all evil:
League Of Villains

#4 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:24 PM

I actually liked the dying in adventure games. Roberta was notoriously unoriginal with deaths (with the notable exception being Laura Bow 1) but the Space Quest games were fantastic in that I'd replay them just to find every single way to die possible. As long as you weren't a tard and saved before possibly dangerous situations it wasn't as huge a deal as some people made it out to be.

The worst offender, as far as I'm concerned, was King's Quest 4. There was a part of the game where you need to get through a maze (GARRRRHHHH) with a tiny bit of illumination. This already fun idea was made more fun by making a troll randomly appear anytime you entered a new screen. So, the only way to get past that stupid sequence was to save before entering the maze, move one screen, wait to see if the troll appeared, drat I got killed by the troll, load, enter the screen again, thank God the troll isn't here, save, rinse and repeat while mapping the entire stupid maze. And you had to map the entire thing because after you finished it and retrieved the item you needed on the other side, you had to make your way back through the maze complete with troll again.

Since I'm babbling on, my favorite adventure game death ever was in the EGA version of Space Quest 1. If you managed to squeak by the grate monster, overload the laser beams and make it onto the higher platform, you could jump off of it onto the grate, which was much more humorous than simply walking onto it and being eaten.
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#5 User is offline   DreamerM Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:07 PM

Hey, that was "Under a Killing Moon!" Oh the memories of my misspent youth, getting killed by security robots and listening to James Earl Jones snottily send me back to earth... wub.gif Good times.

My favorite death was in "The Neverhood" when you jump in the drain. It tells you you'll die if you do that, but if you do it anyway (and who wouldn't) then you're treated to a sight of your Claymation hero literally falling off the face of the world.

This post has been edited by DreamerM: 26 March 2008 - 02:08 PM

It's not stalking! It's artistic reference!

QUOTE (Game Over @ Jan 17 2009, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have unlocked a new achivement!

Submachine sandvich: 200 Interwebz pointz!

You are a WINRAR and best pleyur EVAR!

The project that ate my LIFE!

#6 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:38 PM

"Wank and Sticky"
"Whack and Ziki."
"Grunt and Squeak."
"Main characters are a brash dude with stupid hair and his aggressively cute monkey friend voiced by some painfully shrill [something] thing."
"*uninterested tone*and the antagonist is some hot girl in mini skirt."
"Now, all it needs to do is to use dispensed panties and depress the ChinASE." Surely Fear Effect was probably the only Chinese action game which made millions (not sure if it did depress its own people with Hana's enormous breasts).
"UND PRECISELY VON."
"Patriot deity of gimmicky pointless bull shit."
*Wanking off the Wii remote while the in-game character is holding a hammer, doing nothing*
"Hints are totally useless while the internet still exists."
"...Which you probably could if you're an average wiier, but statistically, you're 8 years old."
"My roommate said it was like his ear canal was raped by a man wearing a sanned paper condom...not his exact words obviously." Poor roommate

Apparently Rock Band wont be out till may.
What is this?!
http://en.wikipedia....arances_in_news

My favorite death was in "The Neverhood" when you jump in the drain. It tells you you'll die if you do that, but if you do it anyway (and who wouldn't) then you're treated to a sight of your Claymation hero literally falling off the face of the world.

If you have played or seen the sequel, you could find out what actually could happen to Klayman, but instead happened to Klogg.

#7 User is offline   DreamerM Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:47 PM

"UND PRECISELY VON."

Yes! More fake accents! More more more! They NEVER stop being funny!

"My roommate said it was like his ear canal was raped by a man wearing a sanned paper condom...not his exact words obviously." Poor roommate

No kidding.

I kinda have to wonder what the Roommate thinks of all of this. That Guy he Splits the Rent With is getting bussed around to flights to America and comming back with Creepy Fan stories all apparently because of his talking-fast into headsets and assembling photoshop graphics on his laptop. And playing games. Lots of games. I hope there's more then one TV in that house otherwise the roommate is never going to see his TV shows again, or maybe he's one of those smart and/or popular types with no time for TV.

...You know what, there might be a quirky sitcom in this. "My life with a Snarky British Internet Famous Person." Yes! Look out Pilot Season, this is pure gold!

#8 User is offline   dial Icon

• New Cop

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:26 AM

WHY DOES HE KEEP SPELLING IT "ZACH?"

#9 User is offline   DreamerM Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:11 AM

QUOTE (dial @ Mar 27 2008, 01:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WHY DOES HE KEEP SPELLING IT "ZACH?"

WHY DOES HE USE CAPS? WHY WHY WHY WHY?

The guy apologized for misspelling the name

Talking about the "Zack and Wiki" review itself for the moment, this is the first review of Yahtzee's I've seen where I actually didn't leave with a clear idea of what his opinion of the game actually was.

He reviewed (and parodied) the elements of it he didn't like but in the very last paragraph he turns a complete 180 and starts talking about how clever, charming, and fun the game really was. Despite having taken the previous two minutes or so to talk at fast speeds about how the controls sucked.

I'm just not sure what point he was trying to make. Besides that "wii-motes are awkward and often pointless" which doesn't have much to do with the game itself. And since he usually makes his points with all the impact of a falling icicle right through the skull, this kind of opacity is a very unusual thing for him.

#10 User is offline   Uszi Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (DreamerM @ Mar 27 2008, 04:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WHY DOES HE USE CAPS? WHY WHY WHY WHY?

The guy apologized for misspelling the name

Talking about the "Zack and Wiki" review itself for the moment, this is the first review of Yahtzee's I've seen where I actually didn't leave with a clear idea of what his opinion of the game actually was.

He reviewed (and parodied) the elements of it he didn't like but in the very last paragraph he turns a complete 180 and starts talking about how clever, charming, and fun the game really was. Despite having taken the previous two minutes or so to talk at fast speeds about how the controls sucked.

I'm just not sure what point he was trying to make. Besides that "wii-motes are awkward and often pointless" which doesn't have much to do with the game itself. And since he usually makes his points with all the impact of a falling icicle right through the skull, this kind of opacity is a very unusual thing for him.

I assumed he liked it -- but maybe my opinion is swayed by the fact that we know he enjoys and programs his own adventure games.

Do the Evolution!

#11 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:56 PM

DreamerM is hyped up right now.

I understand you.

#12 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:45 AM

I'm surprised he didn't say something like 'Wet and sticky'
But yes, wank and sticky is fine too.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#13 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:07 AM

Apparently, this one wasn't as popular as the other review.

Not so many comments on this page.

#14 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:12 AM

Or maybe there's another reason.
For example, when Yahtzee reviews a game such as this and gives it a positive review, not many people have heard of it before now. Then they get it and go 'he was right, it's not that bad apart from *x point* and *y point*'.
So we pretty much don't care when Yahtzee does a positive review about a game we've never heard of or plan to play. See Psychonaughts. (or however you spell it)
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#15 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:26 AM

We live in a cruel world.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size