• +
  • « First
  • Last »

Yahtzee vs. CAD the decisive battle

#61 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE (DreamerM @ Mar 27 2008, 05:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It might have been pretend hate played up for laughs when Yahtzee said it, but it's real hate from all of those people and they think they've got official approval to do so, the wayward misguided crusaders. (Yeah I'm never going to be the person to call them out on the jerks they are, I'll leave that to those better qualified to use those words).

The internet is like the Twilight Zone, it's hard to tell what's real and what's not and if you're NOT disoriented yet then you're a stronger human being then I am. Or a psychic.

Thanks, good to finally come across some recognition. sleep.gif But anyways, don't worry too much about the aforementioned behaviour of flamers, that's just Anonymous' hive-mind in effect.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#62 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:25 AM

My thread is full of hate.

I feel bad.*not emo*

#63 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (Patch @ Mar 26 2008, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure what an 'ad hominem fallacy' is. But as I have previously stated, now more then one, I think.
A criminal can change. Let me give you an example.

Author B makes a webcomic.
Author A makes a webcomic.
Author B regrets making the webcomic, and tells author A that his webcomic is mediocre.
How do they know? Experience!

Yahtzee would be one of the best people to know about webcomics. Anyone who has made a mediocre webcomic with a fair fanbase would know what makes the comic mediocre.

I understand your point, but MY point is that it doesn't matter whether he's made the greatest webcomic in the world or the most universally panned piece of garbage on the internet. He could be Albert Einstein with the body of Arnold Schwarzenegger or Steve Guttenberg with the body of Steve Buscemi, and it still wouldn't matter. None of those things have anything to do with how correct he is about CAD.

Basically there was no need for the disclaimer because there's no hypocrisy, unless Yahtzee previously stated that his comics were totally and completely awesome. Which he didn't.
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#64 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:13 PM

I seem to recall something about one of the reasons of his falling-out with the AGS bunch being that he was getting a bit big-headed about his comic. 'Course, I may be wrong, can't be arsed to do any research on this.

#65 User is offline   DreamerM Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Mar 27 2008, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I seem to recall something about one of the reasons of his falling-out with the AGS bunch being that he was getting a bit big-headed about his comic. 'Course, I may be wrong, can't be arsed to do any research on this.

Now, even if I didn't have one of those weird brains that reads something once and remembers it forever (especially if it's useless) I went through the Fullyramblomatic Archives not that long ago.

It wasn't a comic, it was the Rob Blanc games and the universal praise they brought him that lead to him acting like a "foolish, self-delusional, arrogant prick" (his words) which resulted in him being shunned by the AGS community.

This might be why he's so wary of the unbridled praise he gets nowadays. No matter how awesome your product is, if you let it go to your head, get self-entitled and start acting like an Arrogant Dickhead your fans won't stick around for very long.

It's not stalking! It's artistic reference!

QUOTE (Game Over @ Jan 17 2009, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have unlocked a new achivement!

Submachine sandvich: 200 Interwebz pointz!

You are a WINRAR and best pleyur EVAR!

The project that ate my LIFE!

#66 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:18 PM

... mellow.gif

You mean there are actually four people on these forums now who bothered to read through all of Yahtzee's stuff? After only eight or so years? Bugger, this is becoming contagious, it seems.

But yeah, I think that early experience with big-headedness really taught him a very good lesson. I for one am certain that I wouldn't bother reading his stuff if it wasn't for his down-to-earth attitude.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#67 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (DreamerM @ Mar 27 2008, 04:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually met Yahtzee face to face

Really? That's cool, where was that?

I wasn't sure where his "I hate the world and everything in it especially my stupid fans" persona ended and the real and probably perfectly decent human guy began.

Don't worry about that, lots of people make exactly the same mistake with the characterisations that celebrities surround themselves with. Like Maddox: he has authored probably the most egotistical stuff ever written, yet it only took me five seconds of watching him on his book tour on Youtube to dispel the idea that he was like that in real life. Similarly, until I read his book Tricks of the Mind in which he states he is nothing like that, I was under the impression that Derren Brown could 'read' your emotions, thoughts and personal information just by looking at you, and if I ever met him he would do it to me. If you don't want to come off as an idiot then the golden rule is to just treat celebrities as you would anyone else.

Unless of course you are an idiot, in which case you will no matter what you try.

#68 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:39 PM

While you all are having a healthy argument, I also need to reveal something which I had been keeping in me for quite a while:

*self analysis*
Before the release of the DMC4 review, I had an idea of a local webcomic on my mind. This small project was going to have a mixture of the Zero Punctuation model mixed with me own firm models. My plan was to mix them all together and shit out something pretending to be funny as a long tribute to Yahtzee's works and making a mockery of myself (NO, I'm not a wimp. Casanova did a self mockery and that didn't make him a fag).

I was going to ask Ben Yahtzee Croshaw's personal permission and present him my 30 (maybe more, maybe less) pages of sketches, character profiles and deep analysis.

Each new ZP review introduced me to new models and I was on a road to perfection, until, the CAD review of Yahtzee was posted up in here. Being very interested about what deep dark old secrets about Yahtzee would be revealed or maybe because of my curious nature about others opinions, I made this thread (which I now regret).
Instead I was faced with an imaginary pie to my face and a bag of words running around the thread (which brings me to this conclusion that internet forums are not for people who "have a life" and have real responsibilities).

Now, I am in a Limbo of weather I should express myself on the land of pixels or should I just go back to my boring life on planet earth. It would be a total waste if I'm kicked into the mud, but we all know life is full of adventures and mysteries (which that is in fact a lie in 20th century).

Don't sympathies. I know I sound childish sometimes.
And no, I'm not lying. I really do have made ultra hardcore analysis and sketching for my comic.

QUOTE (DreamerM @ Mar 27 2008, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This might be why he's so wary of the unbridled praise he gets nowadays. No matter how awesome your product is, if you let it go to your head, get self-entitled and start acting like an Arrogant Dickhead your fans won't stick around for very long.

We're all human. Even Oscar Wilde made a mistake, banging that dude Brown.

This post has been edited by Game Over: 27 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

#69 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE (joshofalltrades @ Mar 28 2008, 04:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Basically there was no need for the disclaimer because there's no hypocrisy, unless Yahtzee previously stated that his comics were totally and completely awesome. Which he didn't.

You make a damm good point. Let's forget the whole thing to the extent of remembering to avoid it.

QUOTE (DreamerM @ Mar 28 2008, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Game makers like EA games and such are still learning this, VERY SLOWLY...
More relevantly that could be a good reason. But you can never know.

"Fail video is FAIL.

Step AWAY from your computer and stab yourself in the face. Please.

I was thoroughly entertained.

This post has been edited by Patch: 28 March 2008 - 12:42 AM

For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#70 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:41 AM

Aha! Finally some debate material. I can now definatively prove Yahtzee wrong. How? He states that the punch line occurs in the first or second panel of the comic. Therefore I present to you exhibit A:

http://www.ctrlaltde....php?d=20080328

Why do I claim that this discounts Yahtzee's statement? Because THERE IS NO PUNCH LINE.

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 28 March 2008 - 02:43 AM

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#71 User is offline   bobsickle Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Rugby. PS3. PC. Sleep. Eat. Drink. Die. Woah, scrap that last one!

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Mar 28 2008, 07:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aha! Finally some debate material. I can now definatively prove Yahtzee wrong. How? He states that the punch line occurs in the first or second panel of the comic. Therefore I present to you exhibit A:

http://www.ctrlaltde....php?d=20080328

Why do I claim that this discounts Yahtzee's statement? Because THERE IS NO PUNCH LINE.

It's missing the funny bit where everyone makes fun of him for being a total nerd. That funny bit is also only funny between the people making fun of him. Haha! He's a grown man who plays Warhammer! Seriously, why?
Tiredness can kill! Have a break, have a Kit-Kat.

#72 User is offline   Uszi Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:33 AM

QUOTE (Game Over @ Mar 27 2008, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While you all are having a healthy argument, I also need to reveal something which I had been keeping in me for quite a while:

*self analysis*
Before the release of the DMC4 review, I had an idea of a local webcomic on my mind. This small project was going to have a mixture of the Zero Punctuation model mixed with me own firm models. My plan was to mix them all together and shit out something pretending to be funny as a long tribute to Yahtzee's works and making a mockery of myself (NO, I'm not a wimp. Casanova did a self mockery and that didn't make him a fag).

I was going to ask Ben Yahtzee Croshaw's personal permission and present him my 30 (maybe more, maybe less) pages of sketches, character profiles and deep analysis.

Each new ZP review introduced me to new models and I was on a road to perfection, until, the CAD review of Yahtzee was posted up in here. Being very interested about what deep dark old secrets about Yahtzee would be revealed or maybe because of my curious nature about others opinions, I made this thread (which I now regret).
Instead I was faced with an imaginary pie to my face and a bag of words running around the thread (which brings me to this conclusion that internet forums are not for people who "have a life" and have real responsibilities).

Now, I am in a Limbo of weather I should express myself on the land of pixels or should I just go back to my boring life on planet earth. It would be a total waste if I'm kicked into the mud, but we all know life is full of adventures and mysteries (which that is in fact a lie in 20th century).

Don't sympathies. I know I sound childish sometimes.
And no, I'm not lying. I really do have made ultra hardcore analysis and sketching for my comic.

What seems like your own low, self-destructive expectations may be completely unfounded, you realize.

My guess is if it's really worth something to YOU personally, then make a couple comics, send them to some friends who can be honest with you, and if it's okay then proceed forward.

All of that, of course, is contingent on you actually being funny, instead of pretending to be funny. But this thread is practically a built in guide to funny web comic making. You have a generally agreed upon example of a good comic - Penny Arcade, a generally agreed upon example of a bad comic - CAD, and what seems to be a consensus on a mediocre comic: Yahtzee's. Not only that, you have multiple opinions offering precise points of criticism, often to the exact frame in a particular strip.

So you have the formula, if you have the inspiration then do it.
Do the Evolution!

#73 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:11 AM

I can say with no hesitation whatsoever that I enjoyed YTOTW more than CAD. I consider CAD to be a mediocre comic, nothing special. So, while YTOTW isn't in the "upper echelons" of webcomics (if there IS such a thing), it was still good as far as I'm concerned.
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#74 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:That place thats close to the thing you know the one

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:42 AM

I never read YTOTW but I did read Chris and Trilby which was in my opinion a good comic it made me laugh and it just worked. Shame about the abrupt ending though.
QUOTE (arien @ Jun 29 2008, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this baby, while still inside its mother, murdered his twin brother and STOLE HIS PENIS.

That is one badass baby.

#75 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:30 AM

I AM RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG... WHY DON'T YOU AGREE WITH ME?... THIS COMIC IS GOOD, THAT COMIC IS BAD... YOUR ARTICLE MADE ME ANGRY... I FEEL LONELY

This post has been edited by AdamM: 28 March 2008 - 10:31 AM

• (27 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size