• « First

Yahtzee vs. CAD the decisive battle

#376 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:19 AM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Sep 10 2008, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What the hell does the phrase "pot kettle black" mean?

I've been saying that for days...

Josh, your comment is a slightly unfair one. While you can make that assumption quite easily that he steals jokes it's actually a part of the plot. He was going to tell his girlfriend something serious until she reacted badly and decided that he should keep the news to himself and changed what he was going to say.

Basically, he may have intentionally stole that joke.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#377 User is offline   ftr Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:40 AM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Sep 10 2008, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What the hell does the phrase "pot kettle black" mean?

"pot kettle black" is a shortened version of the phrase "the pot calling the kettle black". It's used when someone accuses someone of something they are guilty of themselves.

For example, if I was to accuse someone of being an incompetent artist, I would be the pot calling the kettle black, because I too am unable to draw.

#378 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE (ftr @ Sep 10 2008, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"pot kettle black" is a shortened version of the phrase "the pot calling the kettle black". It's used when someone accuses someone of something they are guilty of themselves.

For example, if I was to accuse someone of being an incompetent artist, I would be the pot calling the kettle black, because I too am unable to draw.

Ah, I see, thanks for the clarification. Our idiom for this phenomenon goes something like "the owl called the sparrow a big-head".

Now that we're using analogies, I can tell if an egg is edible or not from its smell, even though I can't lay one. Therefore, if one has good taste, can be objective but can't draw or paint well, they're still justified to call a piece of "art" shit if it is indeed shit.

#379 User is offline   ftr Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Sep 10 2008, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, I see, thanks for the clarification. Our idiom for this phenomenon goes something like "the owl called the sparrow a big-head".

Now that we're using analogies, I can tell if an egg is edible or not from its smell, even though I can't lay one. Therefore, if one has good taste, can be objective but can't draw or paint well, they're still justified to call a piece of "art" shit if it is indeed shit.

Indeed. My analogy to explain the idiom was slightly out. But it demonstrates the point.

#380 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (Patch @ Sep 10 2008, 05:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Basically, he may have intentionally stole that joke.

I don't really care if he found the joke while raping Mitch Hedberg's rotting corpse. He made no effort to give credit to the originator -- the only reason I even knew where it came from is because I am a big fan of Hedberg's. It would have been forgivable if he:

1. Made reference to Hedberg somewhere in there or on his blog

2. Hadn't told the joke in the middle of a tremendously stupid comic

3. Had improved upon the joke in some way instead of watering it down with idiocy
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#381 User is offline   ftr Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:05 AM

I agree with Josh. Some credit to the late Mr. Hedberg would have been nice.

#382 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:42 PM

You're unwilling to believe he come up with the notion that escalators become stairs when they break down himself? I mean it's not a 'Eureka' kind of idea, which is exactly why it is an appropriate thing for Ethan to say.

#383 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:00 AM

Buckley maybe a paedophilic no talent bum but at least he is a proud paedophilic no talent bum... or proud of his paedophilic no talent bum abilities. I cant figure out which it is. By the by, if Buckley made a CAD parody I would totally not think of him as a paedophilic no talent bum anymore.
"I felt insulted until I realized that the people trying to mock me were the same intellectual titans who claimed that people would be thrown out of skyscrapers and feudalism would be re-institutionalized if service cartels don't keep getting political favors and regulations are cut down to only a few thousand pages worth, that being able to take a walk in the park is worth driving your nation's economy into the ground, that sexual orientation is a choice that can be changed at a whim, that problems caused by having institutions can be solved by introducing more institutions or strengthening the existing ones that are causing the problems, and many more profound pearls of wisdom. I no longer feel insulted because I now feel grateful for being alive and witnessing such deep conclusions from my fellows."
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

#384 User is offline   ftr Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:38 AM

QUOTE (AdamM @ Sep 11 2008, 01:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're unwilling to believe he come up with the notion that escalators become stairs when they break down himself? I mean it's not a 'Eureka' kind of idea, which is exactly why it is an appropriate thing for Ethan to say.

It's practically verbatim the hedberg joke.

#385 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:40 AM

Why so much hate...?

QUOTE (Deucaon @ Sep 11 2008, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Buckley maybe a paedophilic
disproved, or at least argued by his own ex-staff who admitting not to like him
no talent
As a statistical average I think you'd find he has more talent then the standard person, unless you're referring to something other then his 'art'
bum
I'm assuming this is an insult because I'm absolutely certain he has a house or at least a flat
but at least he is a proud paedophilic no talent bum... or proud of his paedophilic no talent bum abilities. I cant figure out which it is.
much of the same...
By the by, if Buckley made a CAD parody I would totally not think of him as a paedophilic no talent bum anymore.

Why would someone parody themself? And even if he did I think you'd criticise him for lame self referencial, or am I assuming too much? Sorry if it sounds harsh, that's not the intention.

As for the joke steal thing, lots of famous people steal jokes without reference, more famous then Buckley by far. And the joke itself wasn't the punchline, the use of the joke was. So why are we complaining?

This post has been edited by Patch: 11 September 2008 - 04:43 AM

For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#386 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:19 AM

He does have talent, he's just really fucking lazy and copypastes absolutely everything, to a point it becomes laughable.

#387 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:22 AM

Adam, I'd ordinarily be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. The fact that it's almost exactly the same joke, word for word, along with his habit of google searches to find material he's incapable of creating himself lead me to be pretty darn sure he stole it.
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#388 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:52 AM

Except in this case he wouldn't be able to google search unless he already knew the joke, which defeats the purpose.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#389 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:40 AM

Stop going on about Buckley raping children. That Andrew guy already came in here and explained the 'child' in question was 17 and knew exactly what she up to.

#390 User is offline   ftr Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (AdamM @ Sep 12 2008, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stop going on about Buckley raping children. That Andrew guy already came in here and explained the 'child' in question was 17 and knew exactly what she up to.

Patch beat you to it.

• (27 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size