• Last »

Yahtzee vs. CAD the decisive battle

#301 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE (Patch @ Jun 29 2008, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let it die, already, or do you still think you can beat some more abortion jokes out of this dead horse?

Nay.
"I felt insulted until I realized that the people trying to mock me were the same intellectual titans who claimed that people would be thrown out of skyscrapers and feudalism would be re-institutionalized if service cartels don't keep getting political favors and regulations are cut down to only a few thousand pages worth, that being able to take a walk in the park is worth driving your nation's economy into the ground, that sexual orientation is a choice that can be changed at a whim, that problems caused by having institutions can be solved by introducing more institutions or strengthening the existing ones that are causing the problems, and many more profound pearls of wisdom. I no longer feel insulted because I now feel grateful for being alive and witnessing such deep conclusions from my fellows."
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

#302 User is offline   HldmeThrllmeChrs&Trlby Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:20 PM

Maybe, just maybe, it's too late. Hence 'dead' and not 'dying'.

You can still apply the cure for the dreaded lurgy even if the horse is already dead. In that situation the horse wont mind it ads much
i really dont ok?

#303 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:01 PM

Thanks to Yahtzee's most recent video for agreeing with most of us that miscarriages are not funny or can't just change the color of bullshit.

This post has been edited by Game Over: 03 July 2008 - 01:02 PM

#304 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (Game Over @ Jul 4 2008, 04:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks to Yahtzee's most recent video for agreeing with most of us that miscarriages are not funny or can't just change the color of bullshit.

Wait, wait, wait, wait...
What the hell?
'Agreeing with most of us that miscarriages are not funny'
Sorry, but who's the one who has been posting all the miscarraige parody comics? (apart from Deucaon)
It looks to me like you've done a bit of a flip here.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#305 User is offline   HldmeThrllmeChrs&Trlby Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:26 PM

i for one thought it was funny. when someone tries to add drama to their crappy comuic by killing off a character, even a not yet born one, what the fuck? we're not allowed to laugh? i remember hearing 1 of his best gags is killing ethan with an arrow, which iss stolen anyhow, but hey, i think that if not the laughable attempt at drama, that the pariodies are funne.
i really dont ok?

#306 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:58 AM

I would like to point out that those who made these strips aren't making fun of miscarriages but are rather making fun of the way CAD handled the miscarriage. The funniest picture I saw on this matter was the comic strip with the heading "status quo, to be kept at all costs!"
"I felt insulted until I realized that the people trying to mock me were the same intellectual titans who claimed that people would be thrown out of skyscrapers and feudalism would be re-institutionalized if service cartels don't keep getting political favors and regulations are cut down to only a few thousand pages worth, that being able to take a walk in the park is worth driving your nation's economy into the ground, that sexual orientation is a choice that can be changed at a whim, that problems caused by having institutions can be solved by introducing more institutions or strengthening the existing ones that are causing the problems, and many more profound pearls of wisdom. I no longer feel insulted because I now feel grateful for being alive and witnessing such deep conclusions from my fellows."
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

#307 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:50 AM

QUOTE (Patch @ Jul 4 2008, 02:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait, wait, wait, wait...
What the hell?
'Agreeing with most of us that miscarriages are not funny'
Sorry, but who's the one who has been posting all the miscarraige parody comics? (apart from Deucaon)
It looks to me like you've done a bit of a flip here.

Parody and the real thing are different.

#308 User is offline   MagicSwordKing Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:21 AM

For those playing the home game:

Miscarriage - When a pregnancy fails due to natural causes sometime between conception and labor

Miscarriage comic - Something of an oxymoron, but in this context, a terrible, terrible artistic chud of a comic strip, which has since been lampooned on many websites.

Miscarriage comic parodies - The parodies of Tim Buckley's aformentioned chudbaby. They are, to certain minds, incredibly funny, not because miscarriages are funny, but rather taking the piss out of Buckley and his compost heap webcomic is funny.

Aside: Through something of a bureaucratic fuckup only possible in Washington D.C. (my place of dwelling since my marginally-successful birth) I rode the short bus to school back in the day. I generally kept to myself, listened to music, though sometimes the more intelligent crazies (it was more of a crazy-kid short bus than a drooling retard short bus) would do things such as telling dead baby jokes. This was quite amusing, especially when, one day, the bus driver himself, as he deposits the craziest motherfucker on the bus in front of his apartment, says to him the following:

"What makes the sound pitter-patter-pitter-patter-BRRRRRRRRRRRRRING?"

The youth shrugs.

"A baby being lowered into an industrial fan"

The youth cackles as if he were the Joker for twenty yards, limping into his apartment, gasping for air.

The driver later explains to me he knew many more but would only tell him that one because he didn't want to make him go apeshit while there were still others around. The driver goes on to become a physics teacher after finishing graduate school, and remains a hero of mine to this day.

#309 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE (Deucaon @ Jul 4 2008, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to point out that those who made these strips aren't making fun of miscarriages but are rather making fun of the way CAD handled the miscarriage. The funniest picture I saw on this matter was the comic strip with the heading "status quo, to be kept at all costs!"

I don't get it. What's so funny with the way CAD handled the miscarraige? It seems to me a very realistic manner in which they did. Robot aside.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#310 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE (Patch @ Jul 6 2008, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't get it. What's so funny with the way CAD handled the miscarraige? It seems to me a very realistic manner in which they did. Robot aside.

You have a year or two left to understand, unless you act now and start lurking around hardcore to know what is funny, what is not and what is acceptable in today's world. Easy. You know what they say; lurk more and long.

#311 User is offline   Ghello Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

Miscarraiges = good character devolpment stupid.

#312 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (Patch @ Jul 6 2008, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The reason why its funny is because Buckley decided to throw in a miscarriage for no apparent reason other then to have...

QUOTE (Ghello @ Jul 7 2008, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
good character devolpment

...(which reminds us all why Soap Operas are for idiots and children) and because he wants to turn his comic into something serious but is unable to because he has been drawing a (lame) comic about gaming for the past 5 years and it has impaired his ability to make a proper transition from a "funny" comic about gaming to a serious comic with series characters who have series issues. Also, he has dramatized the miscarriage too much.

I know I'm missing some other reasons why but that's all I can think of at the moment.
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

#313 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:57 PM

Anyway, I think that a miscarriage (or any other screwed up situation like that) doesn't lead to character development. Crying about stuff won't make their personalities any deeper. Good characterisation would be a better guess, but 1. that is a skill Buckley is lacking, and 2. the comic has been going on for like 6 years and has a reputation as having 'wacky' characters and 'zany' "humour" (?), so anyone with just a little bit of grey matter in their head (wut, you think you know everyone already?) would go WTF when seeing this abrupt and uncalled-for change in tone.

Even if Buckley magically acquired some knowledge about good characterisation, and go on with his original ideas, it'd still look like that the author had been suddenly replaced. So if he wanted to make something with a more serious tone, he should scrap this shitheap and come up with something different (preferably better as well).

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 06 July 2008 - 01:58 PM

#314 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (Game Over @ Jul 6 2008, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have a year or two left to understand, unless you act now and start lurking around hardcore to know what is funny, what is not and what is acceptable in today's world. Easy. You know what they say; lurk more and long.

Well you're helpful.

Naturally, I'm still only sort of getting it. Is a miscarriage storyline a good opportunity for character development that he missed or a ruined one with the pregnancy story? Right now, that's the only real reason I can see this being funny.

Also, did you expect him to honestly add in a child? I didn't. And there didn't seem like there was going to be an abortion.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#315 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:47 PM

The funny part is that Buckley wrote himself into a corner. If you have the merest hint of foresight, you could see this plot "untwist" from a mile away. There were three options: have the baby and develop the characters (which Tim frankly doesn't have the chops for), abort the baby (and alienate most of the readership) or have a miscarriage. A miscarriage storyline has the benefit of being a blameless development while enabling Tim to keep the status quo after a month or two worth of "deep continuity".

Like I said, a mile away.
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

• (27 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size