Chefelf.com Night Life: Where things are Hollow - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Where things are Hollow Fame, fandom and one wayward sketch-fiend.

#1 User is offline   DreamerM Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:05 AM

Anyone else see the Escapist Article about hollow fame? It made a number of interesting points about the changing face of celebrity in the face of viral marketing.

So how does internet fame stack up? While not famous for the size of his wang like Lee, Croshaw did have his moments of celebriphobia at this year's GDC, where even a short trip down the hall inevitably resulted in more than a few handshakes and requests for autographs. One woman had been clandestinely following him around all week, finally accosting him on his way to the airport to show him her sketchbook. He had a beguiling manner about him, she said, showing him how she'd captured the jaunty tilt of his hat with pencil and ink. The experience was jarring.

Aw man.

That woman was me.

God help me, I'm a Creepy Fan Anecdote.

I guess I could point out that I couldn't have been impossible for me to be following him all week: I was running hither and thither like an ant in an upset hill most of the time and barely able to keep track of my own party: nor was he the only drawing I did, in fact I sketched lots of people who were there (especially at panels), since sketching's kinda what I do when I'm in a place for extended periods of time, and I sure didn't use the word beguiling, ugh. He might be a few things, but "beguiling" is not one of them.

Wait... Damn, I knew I should have kept my weird observation about how he kinda glides when he walks to myself. Being in the last stages of my animation education and being hyper-aware of how stuff moves is not much of an excuse, not when the observation is as weird as that one was.

Yahtzee, if you are out there reading this, know that I'm very sorry. I've got nothing but my word to prove that I'm actually a nice, intelligent, non-threatening person: the kind of person bad enough at fandom in general to be mortified that I became your first Creepy Fan Story, and if I could go back and change how I acted, I would.

Thank you for being so gracious and cool, even in the face of such weirdness. Jarred or no, you reacted like a real gentleman. And call it silly but I was really happy when you actually said you liked the drawing: I'd been shopping that sketchbook around the Career Pavilion all week only to hear dismissal after dismissal, so hearing something encouraging at the very end was more heartening then you knew.

I don't expect the Creepy Fan Anecdote to die with this letter, so I guess all I can do is apologize again, wish you well, and thank you for not spouting profanities into my face, kicking me down the escalator with one of those freakishly long legs, or pulling the Imp out of your hat so it could hack off my limbs.

I'm gonna go sit in the corner now.

Everyone else, well, now that you've read about one of MY most embarrassing moments. Anyone else here ever made an ass of themselves in public, in front of people whose opinions you actually care about?

It's not stalking! It's artistic reference!

QUOTE (Game Over @ Jan 17 2009, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have unlocked a new achivement!

Submachine sandvich: 200 Interwebz pointz!

You are a WINRAR and best pleyur EVAR!

The project that ate my LIFE!

#2 User is offline   El Presedente Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:14 AM

Well, I once stood next to the editor of Doctor Who Magazine, and that scared the crap out of me for some reason, don't ask me why.

#3 User is offline   Ghello Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:46 AM

Probably the most famous people I've seen were an assortment of groups at Warped Tour, but never met anyone famous, I think the person I'd meet I would actually have to like in some way, so I may be nerveous if I saw Yahtzee, but at the same time he's a gamer like me, so we would automatically have a similarity that would keep a conversation not so awkward.

If I were to meet Mike Patton or Greg Graffin, or maybe someone like Samuel Jackson, then I can imagine myself shiting bricks.

This post has been edited by Ghello: 13 March 2008 - 08:47 AM

#4 User is offline   FFreak3 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:16 AM

Well, call me a geek, but when I walked into my chemistry class this semester, and found myself being taught by a Ph. D whose works I'd been studying the entire summer, I checked the copy of a research paper I was holding against the powerpoint presentation on the board to check for any spelling differences in the name. Three times.

I've had some very interesting conversations this semester. (and a promise of an extremely good chance at a undergraduate research position. (probably sweeping the lab . . .><))

#5 User is offline   Dannysaysnoo Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:29 AM

My only true fandom lies with 3 things.

1. The Metroid Series. I own All of the games released, bar 2. And one of them is a spinoff.

2. A website that writes messed up walkthroughs of games. They do a bunch of stuff, and i check them all out vigorously.

3. Mr. Croshaw.

All of the above, i would follow to the ends of the earth. Don't ever feel bad about super fandom. It's just because you love a lot.

#6 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:42 AM

My beloved's a pianist, I dare not pledge allegiance to any other fandoms.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#7 User is offline   Sniffles Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:22 PM

Try kidnapping him in a dark alley. Chloroform works wonders.

#8 User is offline   DreamerM Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (Sniffles @ Mar 13 2008, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try kidnapping him in a dark alley. Chloroform works wonders.

I'll pass, thanks. He's twice my size. Besides, with my karma, my cell-mate in prison would be a Zero Punctuation fan and I'd rather not end up with a sharpened toothbrush stabbed into my rib-cage.

#9 User is offline   Legion Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Horror stuff, spicy food, RPG and FPS video games, decent novels, stand-up comedy, watching idiots maim themselves doing stupid things, Asian or Italian food and web surfing.<br /><br />Yup, I'm a complete geek.

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:54 PM

Hey, everybody has a right to creep someone else out, intentionally or no, by following them around in hopes of an autograph, a smile or stealing their laundry. Go for it and have fun. Just make sure NOT to steal Yahtzee's signature trilby hat as that would be an act of the utmost sacrilige.
I'm not pessimistic; I've just realised that the light at the end of the tunnel is an incoming train.

#10 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:That place thats close to the thing you know the one

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:01 AM

Wow! I'm in the same forum as someone who was in an article relating to Yahtzee! I think I've found a new thing to obsess over. Fandom away! biggrin.gif
QUOTE (arien @ Jun 29 2008, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this baby, while still inside its mother, murdered his twin brother and STOLE HIS PENIS.

That is one badass baby.

#11 User is offline   FFreak3 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:49 AM

What about if you just make an exact replica of Yahtzees hat, then return it?

(Then sell the replica on eBay for meelleeons of dolllaarrss)

This post has been edited by FFreak3: 14 March 2008 - 08:49 AM

#12 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:46 PM

Um....GOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDD for you.

[sarcasm]I hope you even marry him and have kids togather.[/sarcasm]

(I'm trying to imagine what your children would looks like at this moment).

But remember:

This post has been edited by Game Over: 14 March 2008 - 02:47 PM

#13 User is offline   DreamerM Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (Game Over @ Mar 14 2008, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Um....GOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDD for you.

[sarcasm]I hope you even marry him and have kids togather.[/sarcasm]

(I'm trying to imagine what your children would looks like at this moment).

Hey now, that was a low blow Game Over, a very low blow. The last thing I wanted was to become a Creepy Fan Story.

And don't imagine. It's not worth it.

...I need to find me a real boyfriend...Maybe I could do what my sister did: her high-school sweetie was a guy she met at a party after she won six flawless victories against him at Soul Caliber. She turned, looked him in the eye, and said "OWNED!" He said he knew right then that he had to date her. Too bad he turned out to be one of those possessive, creepy, paranoid boyfriends who freaked out whenever she even talked to other guys.

Still, they dated for about three years, and I'm sad, because at the GAME convention I beat like seven guys at Soul Caliber didn't get a single boyfriend out of it!

So alone.

#14 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:23 PM

Must... pinch.gif ... resist... temptation... pinch.gif can't... pinch.gif pinch.gif give in to...

ARGH-screw it:

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#15 User is offline   DreamerM Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Mar 14 2008, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Must... pinch.gif ... resist... temptation... pinch.gif can't... pinch.gif pinch.gif give in to...

ARGH-screw it:

........................snrk.

Alright. I laughed.

I deserved that.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size