Chefelf.com Night Life: Hobbies: what do you collect? - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Hobbies: what do you collect? past & present personal collections

#1 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:29 AM

past or present, what do you collect now, and what did you collect during your childhood?

for me...

childhood: transformer toys, hot wheels, garbage pail kids cards, topps baseball cards, heathcliff paperback comic books, stuffed animals, scratch n' sniff stickers,

now: the u.s. state quarters, foreign currency, old u.s. currency (like wheat pennies) or currency that has rare physical defects ( ex: i have an oddly bent nickel) video games & consoles, transformers-binaltechs (alternators), star wars transformers, beer bottle caps, postcards
QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#2 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:45 AM

I used to collect stamps, and coins. Still have my collection but I've stopped getting anymore.

#3 User is offline   Simperin' Fool Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:40 AM

I sort of used to collect books of Gary Larson cartoons.

#4 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:02 PM

My dad made me collect stamps when I wasn't really interested in them; I collected coins with im too but I liked that. I still have both collections but I don't actively collect either anymore, unless I just happen to be in a flea market and I see someone pricing a valuable coin stupidly low.

I collected Ty Beanie Babies when they were all the rage, and ended up making several hundred dollars off them in a yard sale when they started losing value. (I wasn't dumb like that one kid's parents that locked their royal blue Peanut the elephant in a vault, thinking it would continue to rise in value and pay for their 4 year old's college education some day! tongue.gif ) I saved the ones that had sentimental value, though. So I still have about 10.

And I've always collected rocks, minerals, and fossils - since I was tiny. And now I'm a geology minor and a ceramics major (and ceramics is basically an artistic branch of geology). Ha! I don't collect as actively anymore but when I'm in Charleston I go to my favourite rock and mineral shop that's downtown and spend a lot of time in there, usually pick up a few cool things. And of course I picked up some awesome things when I went to the Bahamas (ooids, coral fossils, etc.)

The collection all my friends contribute to is my rubber ducky collection. tongue.gif I have at least 25 of various styles (devil duckies, football duckies, leprechaun duckies...), sizes (I have one that's as big as my head), colours (I have some that flash crazy coloured lights!), etc.

I also collect other silly novelty toys - Koosh balls whenever I can find them (hardly ever), slinkies (I have ones with patterns on the outside that oscillate when playing with them), bouncy balls, that sort of thing.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#5 User is offline   TheOrator Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:27 PM

I used to collect novelty pencil sharpeners and refrigerator magnets.

At the moment I'm not really connecting anything, but sometimes I get another pencil sharpener.
"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum."
-John Carpenter's They Live

"God help us...in the future."
-Plan 9 from Outer Space

nooooo

#6 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:That place thats close to the thing you know the one

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:51 AM

When I was a kid I used to collect all kinds of classic model cars I have some pretty old ones too form the 60's an 70's. I haven’t actively collected in years but it suddenly occurs to me that the collection may well be worth something now.
QUOTE (arien @ Jun 29 2008, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this baby, while still inside its mother, murdered his twin brother and STOLE HIS PENIS.

That is one badass baby.

#7 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:04 AM

Bar mats and Warhammer models.Not alot more to say about either.

Well, there's plenty to say about my 'hammer geekery, but that's for when I'm less hungry.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#8 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:58 PM

Railroad ties. I don't live conveniently close enough to a railroad anymore so I only have about five. When I get enough I'm gonna fuse them into a sculpture.

#9 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:26 AM

Antique picnic baskets. Wooden crates with advertising. Hot Wheels and MINI related items. Neon and advertising signs. Quality Coca Cola stuff.

Old days: somewhere I have a complete collection of the SW baseball cards (original 1978 run.)

#10 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:55 AM

Music.

#11 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

Another thing that I collect: the last post on dead threads.

#12 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:33 PM

Thwarted!

tongue.gif
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#13 User is offline   BigStupidDogFacedArse Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:50 PM

Collecting is a sickness of the brain. I suffered from it back when I bought comics and sporting cards. One day I realized it's all worthless (regardless of beckett pricing) and not worth storing.

#14 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

I disagree. If it's something someone enjoys it's worth it. Like any other activity. Of course when it becomes an obsession, like any other obsession, it's unhealthy. Also can teach you thinks when you're a kid, like about the economy what with buy low sell high, how values can change, etc.

Besides that, like I said earlier, I got several hundred dollars off my silly beanie babies - and I know my coin collection is worth several hundred dollars as well. So if nothing else, collections can make you money, when done right. tongue.gif

#15 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:That place thats close to the thing you know the one

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:30 AM

QUOTE (Chyld @ Mar 4 2008, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bar mats and Warhammer models.Not alot more to say about either.

Well, there's plenty to say about my 'hammer geekery, but that's for when I'm less hungry.

If I had the money the skill or the motivation I would have got into 40k but I have enough geeky habits already. tongue.gif
QUOTE (arien @ Jun 29 2008, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this baby, while still inside its mother, murdered his twin brother and STOLE HIS PENIS.

That is one badass baby.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size