Chefelf.com Night Life: Stop! Is that poop on your lemon? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Stop! Is that poop on your lemon? Feb. 26, 2008

#1 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:39 PM

Stop! Is that poop on your lemon?

A science professor dares to find out what germs lurk on your garnishes

It's fairly common for restaurant staffers to place a lemon slice on the rim of a beverage glass as a flavor enhancer or decorative garnish. But who knows whether these lemons have been handled using sanitary procedures? Anne LaGrange Loving, a professor of science at Passaic County Community College, decided to find out.

Loving began her investigation after she saw a waitress’ fingertips dip into her soda as the drink was being brought to her table. Although lemon juice is known to kill germs, Loving devised a study to determine whether lemon slices contain germs when they are served to customers.

Using sterile collection swabs, Loving took two samples from each of 76 lemons that were served in restaurants in North Jersey. Patrons normally start to drink a beverage moments after it is served, so samples were taken right away, before a sip was taken and before anyone at the table touched it. One swab was rubbed along the rind, while a second was rubbed along the pulp. The restaurants were unaware that she was doing this. Samples were then analyzed for microbes at a clinical microbiology laboratory.

A total of 25 different types of germs were found on 53 out of the 76 lemons that were sampled. Some are fecal in origin (either from dirty fingertips of the restaurant employees, or from meat-contaminated cutting boards and knives), while others are commonly found in saliva, on the skin and in the environment.

One sample had six different microorganisms on it, three of which are found in fecal material. Although some lemon slices had germs either only on the rind or only on the pulp, 29 percent had germs on both sites. In 15 instances the germs on the pulp were completely different from those on the rind, indicating that the pulp had been in contact with a contaminated surface as or after it was sliced. Sometimes when more than one lemon was sampled during a single restaurant visit, different germs were found on each.

Although there have been no reported outbreaks of illnesses attributed to lemon slices in beverages, every microorganism that was recovered has the potential to cause a variety of human infections. Establishment of an infection would depend upon the numbers and types of germs involved, the general health and age of the person and whether the person had chapped lips or a cold sore on the lips or gums.

People who love to have lemons with their drinks — especially those who are not in the best of health — might want to check out the sanitary practices of the restaurants they visit. At home, people can simply wash their lemons well with plenty of running water and soap to remove any protective wax that might have been added, then slice them using clean hands, a clean knife and a clean cutting board.

The study did not investigate other beverage garnishes such as olives, celery and limes. Alcoholic beverages were not tested. While alcohol is known to be antibacterial, studies would have to determine whether a beer, glass of wine, or mixed drink would contain sufficient alcohol to kill germs quickly. Previous studies have shown, for example, that the communion wine left in a chalice after all parishioners have taken a sip is loaded with bacteria.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23355862/

thenks to J m HofMarN

People are too caught up in this.

Let me paint this image in your head;

A guy's at a bar, he goes the toilet and takes a dump, wipes his ass, does up his belt THEN washes his hands, goes back out into the bar and picks up a girl, who later undoes his belt... uh oh... SHIT HAS EXCHANGED HANDS!!!

Upon close examination, no situation is without disgusting consequence and germ infestation. That's why we have a little thing called an 'imune system'. Little things like the article above keeps it in practice.

The fight for hygene in the microcasm is a loosing battle.

#2 User is offline   Simperin' Fool Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:31 AM

Some things are just more distracting than harmful.

For example, 90% of the dust in the air is dead skin. That's pretty gross, right? But it doesn't kill us.

When you eat shrimp, there's usually a little dark line running along its back. That's poo. It's perfectly edible.

There's actually microscopic crap particles on almost everything. I think they're called fecal coliform bacteria. In your bathroom, even though you keep it away from the toilet and it technically gets cleaned every time you use it, your toothbrush has crap on it. There's poo everywhere.

[Edit] The shit is lemons, L-E-M-O-N-S.

This post has been edited by Simperin' Fool: 27 February 2008 - 01:39 AM

#3 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:37 AM

First thoughts: Eat hot death, obsessive compulsive cunt. Second thoughts: forgive me for producing a mini manifesto, but this chick is just asking for it and I work in a restaurant.

Although there have been no reported outbreaks of illnesses attributed to lemon slices in beverages,

This basically just says "I don't care HOW pointless my research is"

while others are commonly found in saliva, on the skin and in the environment.

So basically "some" (read, a large portion) of the germs are common on or in people already? Man I'd hate to get someone else's saliva germs in my own saliva!

People who love to have lemons with their drinks — especially those who are not in the best of health — might want to check out the sanitary practices of the restaurants they visit.

As a chef I can tell you that anyone who comes in to the kitchen for the specific purpose of checking out the sanitary practices of myself as pertains to lemons will be leaving as the worst pies in London.

At home, people can simply wash their lemons well with plenty of running water and soap to remove any protective wax that might have been added, then slice them using clean hands, a clean knife and a clean cutting board.

They can then put shoeboxes on their feet, urinate in jars, and ask Odi to "show them all the blueprints".

The study did not investigate other beverage garnishes such as olives, celery and limes.

GASP! You mean my CELERY might also have poop on it? Oh and you missed this part:

Anne LaGrange Loving is an assistant professor of biology at Passaic County Community College in Paterson, N.J., who specializes in public health research. She has investigated infections from the common communion cup, public water fountains, Listerine Pocket Paks® strips, olive oil infusions and beverage lemon slices.

Maybe she should do a study on how lame it is to use exclamation points in the title of your ridiculous article. Or maybe if she wants to be taken seriously she should get a job that isnt at a community college. Or better yet stop swabbing lemons and listerine for germs.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#4 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:41 AM

Well its just those DAMN lemons
im terribly allergic so as a rule of well living
i don't get to enjoy that lemon-y fresh water

if they give me a little lemon for garnish or whatever
i tell my server politely that i am cannot have that and they take it away
in most cases the staff has enough sense

to not just bring me the same glass without taking out the lemon
moral of the story
Lemons, Limes and sometimes Oranges ARE EVIL!

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#5 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:That place thats close to the thing you know the one

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Feb 27 2008, 04:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Upon close examination, no situation is without disgusting consequence and germ infestation. That's why we have a little thing called an 'imune system'. Little things like the article above keeps it in practice.

Couldn’t agree more its obsessive compulsives like this that do way more harm than good an immune system is oddly enough one of those things that gets stronger the more its tested, while this is disgusting we need stuff like this to happen to us to keep it on its toes. It’s been proven that obsessive cleaning in the household has a link to child asthmatics so the message is clear embrace the filth people!

This post has been edited by Casual: 27 February 2008 - 06:27 AM

QUOTE (arien @ Jun 29 2008, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this baby, while still inside its mother, murdered his twin brother and STOLE HIS PENIS.

That is one badass baby.

#6 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:41 PM

THis shit on the other hand, is completely different;

Shop-owners sold chocolate cake sprinkled with human faeces
11th February 2008

Two shop-owners were today fined for selling chocolate cake - which had been sprinkled with human faeces.

A horrified customer ate the foul-smelling gateaux but noticed that it didn't taste or smell "quite right" and handed the cake to public health scientists.

The analysts soon established that the sweet treat was covered in faeces and legal proceedings against the shop owners were started.

Shop owners Saeed Hasmi, 25, and Jan Yadgari, 23, were fined Ł1,500 for selling food unfit for human consumption.

The pair - who ran the Italiano Pizzeria in Roath, Cardiff - admitted the charge but did not say how the chocolate cake was contaminated.

The takeaway is a favourite with late-night revellers and students living around the takeaway close to Cardiff University.

A spokeswoman for the public health department in Cardiff City Council said: "The person who bought the cake realised it didn't taste or smell quite right so they reported it to us.

"Subsequent examination by the public analyst and national public health service laboratories confirmed the presence of faecal matter.

"There were bits of it all over the top of the cake.

"We cannot say for definite what kind of faecal matter it is, although it is very likely it was human. It would have to go through a DNA test for us to know for absolutely sure."

Hasmi and Yadgari at first denied the charge but pleaded guilty at Cardiff magistrates court before the trial.

Hasmi, of Roath, Cardiff, and Yadgari, of Adamsdown, Cardiff, were each fined Ł1,500 and ordered to pay Ł200 costs.

After the case Hasmi said: "It was not our fault but I don't want to talk about it.

"I'm not working in the food industry anymore. I want to do something else.

"We are sorry for the people who ate it," he said.

The case has taken 18 months to come to court and the pair have both left the Pizzeria.

Shams Mehrabi, who took over the Italiano Pizzeria in March, condemned the actions of the two men. He now has hygiene certificates on the wall and said: "I have the highest standards.

"This is a completely different business now. We have a lot of happy customers - we won't be selling chocolate cake."

http://www.dailymail...in_page_id=1770

Well I see Saeed Hasmi and Jan Yadgari are joining our Jordinian Kebab-fucker friend in improving racial stereo types in Britain. Especially when it comes to the food service industry.

Also... "It was not our fault but I don't want to talk about it."

Sorry? You fucking what?

#7 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:09 PM

Well if you're going to an Italiano Pizzeria where their cook and owner is named Hasmi, you cant expect too much. And maybe if you use a very creative definition of "is" like Clinton did, you can say it "is" not their fault. Oh and does feces usually come in sprinkle form? I mean I'm kind of curious as to how they managed to work that one out.

Also, just noticed the spelling that lets us know this story's from the continent. Could you describe the colour and flavour of the faeces? You people and your love of vowels...

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 27 February 2008 - 09:11 PM

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#8 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:34 PM

We plead guilty but it's not our fault. Right...

#9 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Feb 27 2008, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh and does feces usually come in sprinkle form? I mean I'm kind of curious as to how they managed to work that one out.

Dried and grated.

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Feb 27 2008, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, just noticed the spelling that lets us know this story's from the continent. Could you describe the colour and flavour of the faeces? You people and your love of vowels...

Yes I suspect many customers suffered toxaemia and told their mums.

But in retaliation, the American pronunciation of Aluminium is gay.

#10 User is offline   Simperin' Fool Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:10 AM

Dried and grated.

See, that right there, that just screams intent.

Excuse me, folks, I think I'll step out and dice up this dessicated turd I've been saving, just for shits and giggles.

But in retaliation, the American pronunciation of Aluminium is gay.

Don't you mean gae?

This post has been edited by Simperin' Fool: 28 February 2008 - 12:14 AM

#11 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:28 AM

Ghey

#12 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:28 AM

More urban... g'aaye

#13 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:21 PM

First story: Restaurants should try to keep as clean as possible, but there's only so much anyone can do, and if no one is getting sick, it doesn't sound like this is a problem.

Second story: Oh, it's just Cardiff.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#14 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:50 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Feb 26 2008, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A guy's at a bar, he goes the toilet and takes a dump, wipes his ass, does up his belt THEN washes his hands, goes back out into the bar and picks up a girl, who later undoes his belt... uh oh... SHIT HAS EXCHANGED HANDS!!!

I would like to comment that I always wash my hands before touching my belt.

#15 User is offline   Dan_N_GameZ Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Red Dwarf, AGS, programming in VB, Yahtzee etc.

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:50 AM

And how do you reach the sink without smashing your face?
"Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back, in one o' dose TOP SECRET LAB-MOTORIES de gubbnint keep stashed away underneath Virginia, an EVIL PRINCE, occasion'ly employed as a part-time THEATRICAL CRITICIZER set to woikin' on a plot fo de systematic GENOCIDICAL REMOVE'LANCE of all unwanted highly-rhythmic individj'lls an' sissy-boys!" (Prologue, Thing-Fish)

Quoting other forumers in your signature seems to be the latest craze around here...

My Last.FM profile.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size