Chefelf.com Night Life: Additions to reasons why you should hate episode2 - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Additions to reasons why you should hate episode2 Technical inconsistencies

#16 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 04 May 2004 - 05:18 PM

Instead of by accident, Solo charges at Fett (he can see a green blur where Fett is which he would explain to luke later), hits him with the pike with all his anger, and then Fett goes tumbling in the Sarlaac pit so that he can be brought back for later use if necessary

All you basically did V-wing was change one line of dialogue and just have one Han hit Boba Fett intentionaly. Here is the problem.

The whole point of Luke's rescue attempt was to show that look had matured as a person top where he didn't need Hans help. If Han does it intentionally, then Han can say that he rescued Luke again. It takes away from the line "Thanks Luke...thanks for coming back for me. Boy do I owe you one!!!"

You guys have to understand for the whole rescue attempt seen to work, Han solo has to be incapacitated and vulnerable to a great degree in order to:

1. Make Luke's growth as a person more concrete
2. To show Luke's growth as a Jedi
3. To give Han an impetus for his stry arc, the man who always went at it alone, needed his friends to risk everything to get him.

I mean really v-wing, I don't think the Boba Fett demise is a problem. It's humorousness actually fits in pretty nicely.

Also, even if you did change it. I don;t think it really changes the scene that radicaly to be honest. I am not disputing that your retcon of that scen would be bad. In my mind it just isn't that big a deal, when you consider there were other more better and important sequences following it.

There are only two aspects of ROTJ that I think anybody are bad and everyone has a legitimate grievance on

1. Chewie's tarzan yell. That was pure garbage and ridiculous. I would be in favor of removing it. But it is such a short scene and I alone really noticed it until someone brought it up on this site. I mean it is so brief that leaving it in would not really make a difference.

2. The Sarlac pitt burp. Not necessary. But again brief and doesn't really affect the story that much.

That's it. Everything else about ROTJ i chalk up to individual tastes, unusual expectations and excessive nitpicking.

#17 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 May 2004 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (Mike Mac from NYU @ May 4 2004, 12:13 PM)
I agree with this. I liked Boba Fett as a character partly because he gained this reputation for being a badass bounty hunter after the movies were completed (was not overly happy with the style of his demise in ROTJ).

Hmm. Was Boba Fett's demise premature or even bad? A couple of things I have to point out here.

1. I had no problem with the way Boba Fett was portrayed in ROTJ. I loved the fact that Boba Fett was lurking around in the background. of Jabba's palace....

2. Boba's death. I had no problem with it. Y'know the thing people forget in that whole scene was that Boba Fett was about to kill Luke Skywalker in that scene with a laser blast....

That'll teach me. I go for brevity in response and end up not giving a clear indication of what I meant. biggrin.gif

By demise I meant the final fall into the sarlacc and the following burp joke. I agree with all your points about Boba Fett's appearance in ROTJ Mike. I felt that he certainly did have a place in this film. I also didn't mind him even falling into the sarlacc (and Jordan, just to answer your question, yes Boba Fett did get out of the sarlacc in the EU. There was a comic series that also dealt with this), it was just the burp joke that lost me. No real refelction on the character, more on Lucas once again.

I thought Boba was well presented in ROTJ and I did not mind at all that his loss came through an accident. Sometimes it's just pure luck that let's the good guys survive, and while Obi-Wan doesn't believe in luck - Han sure as hell does. tongue.gif

Boba Fett just didn't need to be presented in the PT. We have all we need to know about him presented in ESB & ROTJ.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#18 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2004 - 10:24 PM

I agree with some of the reasons why you guys who believe that it was good having Boba Fett in Return of the Jedi. But it really wasn't necessary.

I just think it's strange that he would have been staying at Jabba's Palace so long. He's finished his job - he should be out on another one to keep the money coming in and keep food on the table.

If he was so rich now that he didn't need to do this, I'm sure a guy like him could find a much better place to live it up.

Anyway, I am relieved to see that at least everybody hates having his death used for a burp joke. And I prefer Vwing's alternative version of Han killing Boba Fett to what was seen in the movie. But as I'm not a Return of the Jedi fan, that probably won't mean much to some of you. Oh well.

I am glad however that nobody is happy about showing him as a little kid in the prequels. That crosses the line so far, it is not funny.

Actually, the more I think about the prequels, the more I hate them... even though I already hated them with a vengeance. When Lucas made the prequels, he was raping my childhood memories of Star Wars.

#19 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 05 May 2004 - 02:01 AM

I just think it's strange that he would have been staying at Jabba's Palace so long. He's finished his job - he should be out on another one to keep the money coming in and keep food on the table.

If he was so rich now that he didn't need to do this, I'm sure a guy like him could find a much better place to live it up.

That thought process is a bit pedestrian. If Boba wants to stare at some naked women and slam back a few, why not?

I do still agree with the stupidity of his death. I think it would have been more suiting to have him get knocked out somehow. Then when the hero's fly off in safety with the floating palace buring in the background, get a shot of boba watching them fly off. Like in episode 1 when Maul stares at the Nabooian ship blast off from Tatooine.

This way we could have seen that he did try kill the hero's, but after failing, he just gave up cause he realized that now that Jabba is dead, he no longer needs to hunt down Solo. And he never really had any beef with Luke and the others, so the shot of him could sum up the following:

He did his job with delivering Solo
He is not a blood lust idiot
He moves on in life

And we could have all left the movies having some more respect for him. Rather we leave thinking what a tool he is.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#20 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 05 May 2004 - 05:58 AM

If Boba wants to stare at some naked women and slam back a few, why not?

Fair enough. But he doesn't look like he's having a good time at Jabba's place. He looks more like he's on guard duty.

Anyway, glad you still agree with the stupidity of his death.

#21 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 05 May 2004 - 08:29 AM

poor boba. if not for the cool costume, he'd be just another stormtrooper (thanks, prequels!)

#22 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 05 May 2004 - 08:41 AM

thanks, prequels!

Thanks, indeed. I'm beginning to wish that the prequels were a legal felony that Lucas could be held accountable for.

#23 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2004 - 08:53 AM

This way we could have seen that he did try kill the hero's, but after failing, he just gave up cause he realized that now that Jabba is dead, he no longer needs to hunt down Solo. And he never really had any beef with Luke and the others, so the shot of him could sum up the following:

Fair enough. But he doesn't look like he's having a good time at Jabba's place. He looks more like he's on guard duty

The insinuation being made is that after capturing Han Solo, Jabba so pleased with Boba Fetts work, that he decided to give Boba Fett a permanent job as a bodyguard/enforcer in his crime organization. I imagine Boba Fett jumped on this opportunity. I mean what would you prefer scouring around the universe after low-lifes for commisioned pay or being in Jabba's court and having a fat salary each week and getting all the slave girls you want. No brainer. By going after Luke and Han Boba was doing his job, protecting Jabba and enforcing his wishes.

#24 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 05 May 2004 - 09:00 AM

If that's the case, that really does diminish Boba Fett into a lousy character.

So rather than having Boba Fett as a resourceful bounty hunter who travels all over the galaxy, bringing in wanted men, profiting handsomely and having a pretty interesting life.... you would have him being this sad loser who lives on a hole of a planet, working for a bloated slug.

Turn an independent, loose canon into one of Jabba's yes-men.

That's sad, Mike. I'm sorry.

#25 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2004 - 09:04 AM

I agree with some of the reasons why you guys who believe that it was good having Boba Fett in Return of the Jedi. But it really wasn't necessary.

To me, it would have disturbed continuity a little bit NOT to have had Boba Fett in ROTJ. Especially in a movie that took three years to be put out after it's sequel.

It's kind of like those cliffhanger ending T.V. shows that show the scenes of the previous week's episode. You cant assume all your audience remembers that it was Boba Fett that delivered Han from Cloud City to Jabba's palace.
You kind of HAVE to mention and put Boba Fett in. Whether his role and demise should be changed a little is subject to speculation.

#26 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2004 - 09:09 AM

So rather than having Boba Fett as a resourceful bounty hunter who travels all over the galaxy, bringing in wanted men, profiting handsomely and having a pretty interesting life.... you would have him being this sad loser who lives on a hole of a planet, working for a bloated slug.

Depends on how you look at it. You have to remember that Boba Fett is ultimately a bounty hunter for the money. I mean such situations like this happen in real life. Hired guns become enforcers for criminal bosses all the time.

In Boba Fetts shoes what would you be, a vagabond or settle down in a palace with all slave girls you can get and money getting thrown at you. Plus you still get to go on adventures to slice up Jabba's competition hunt other deadbeats, and assasinate political officials.

Boba's in it for the money.

#27 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2004 - 09:24 AM

Depends on how you look at it. You have to remember that Boba Fett is ultimately a bounty hunter for the money. I mean such situations like this happen in real life. Hired guns become enforcers for criminal bosses all the time.

In Boba Fetts shoes what would you be, a vagabond or settle down in a palace with all slave girls you can get and money getting thrown at you. Plus you still get to go on adventures to slice up Jabba's competition hunt other deadbeats, and assasinate political officials.

Boba's in it for the money.

#28 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 05 May 2004 - 09:31 AM

Me? Um... I'd like to live the wandering life of the vagabond. But that's just a personal thing. I'm a wanderer myself because I like to see new things and experience the world. I just spent a year living in Japan and now I'm living in Korea. It's fun, you know, to move around and experience new things.

But I understand what you're saying, actually, about hired guns ending up working for criminal bosses.

I guess it's probably just a personal thing - I always thought of Boba Fett as being the self-employed type. And I got the feeling that because Vader told him (and him very specifically) "no disintegrations", that he had probably done a few jobs for Vader in the past... and I don't think a guy working for Jabba would have done multiple jobs for Vader as well.

But I guess it's not too bad having him in the movie. You gave some good reasons for him being there. And even if he wasn't working for Vader, he could be chilling out for a few weeks after a long hunt.

Whether his role and demise should be changed a little is subject to speculation.

Yeah, I'm happy to leave it at that. A lot of this comes down to our personal tastes, like you say.

#29 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 05 May 2004 - 09:35 AM

And even if he wasn't working for Vader, he could be chilling out for a few weeks after a long hunt.

Correction: I meant to say

"And even if he wasn't working for Jabba, he could be chilling out for a few weeks after a long hunt."

Sometimes I find that I make as many typing errors on this thing as I do on a Messenger chat. It's embarrassing....

#30 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 05 May 2004 - 09:47 AM

at the end of Empire: Lando: "by the time we catch up with han and that bounty hunter..."

so of course he needs to be in JEDI. As with the long time ago referred to by obi-wan in SW, I'd imagined some grand and glorious shootout with the mysterious boba fett in Jedi.

Seeing Jedi, I thought the grand plan executed by Luke and company was kind of lame. but fair enough, the flavor of the ewoks killed that aftertaste. Silent, nodding boba became as threatening as a wal-mart greeter.

Lucas' sense, and response to SW fans' desire to see more boba in action is a case of Too Much, Too Late.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size