• +
  • « First

The 1990's not retro yet?

#76 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:06 PM

Yeah, cuz calling someone retarded really makes everyone think that person is stupid... rolleyes.gif

Look, maybe my wording was off but I meant "most of the rap that plays on the radio these days." Is that better? That's why I reiterated in my most recent post (before this one) "radio play" a bunch. Since we were talking about radio music in the first place, I assumed that people would know what I meant and I guess I was wrong. I agree that the underground hiphop music scene kicks the pop hiphop scene's butt to the moon.

Edit: "hophop music"? Whoops...

This post has been edited by Spoon Poetic: 31 January 2008 - 11:07 PM

I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#77 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:39 PM

And going full circle...the 80s and 90s sounds are coming back, like I said. And yeah, that's mostly thanks to the underground scenes. Example:

I won't deny that, much like every other genre out there, the mainstream hip hop scene owes the entirety of its existence to borrowing ideas from the underground scene, but that doesn't mean that big-name producers don't put those ideas to good use. It just means they do what the underground artists can't and make huge wads of money off of said ideas. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Heccubus: 31 January 2008 - 11:41 PM

#78 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:52 AM

Yeah Blood, don't let me get old school. I think it's awesome that as a counter-example to the street garbage that Spoon described, you offer "Pussyhole." Yup. It's hard out ther for a pimp, yo.

That "Whoo!" (or however you'd spell it) that repeats every couple of meaures is the new "Oh-wee-oh" that we miss from the 80s, or maybe even the "Doo-Wop" of the Fifties. The problem is, those transparent fads (eventually) went away, while this JUST WON'T!!!!

As to this stuff being art or progressive or even difficult, Hecc, don't beat yourself up. I bet you couldn't make a decent money-making Jackson Pollack ripoff, but that doesn't mean he wasn't just throwing paint at a canvas. This stuff is incomprehensible garbage with a danceable beat. And hip-hop is worse, because the refrain and often even the beat is just cannibalised from 80s pop.

And yeah, yeah, you may know underground stuff that's better (it's a matter of degrees), but that stuff owes the mainstream its living. And the mainstream like Spoon said is boring.

-Civ (old curmudgeon)
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#79 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:25 AM

laugh.gif
So am I to understand that I'm the only one here who likes to get crunk on occasion?

This post has been edited by Heccubus: 01 February 2008 - 05:25 AM

#80 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:15 PM

... Fresh Prince of Belair was (and still is) an awesome show.
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#81 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Feb 1 2008, 02:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least older hiphop/rap had some music to it. Like "Gangsta's Paradise," for instance. It's pretty repetitive and gets old after a bit, but it's actually musical, unlike most of the rap of today, that's just tough talking over a track of repetitive bass bomps and synth wee-oos.

What about Lose Yourself by Eminem?
Word Vault
A Writing Guild For The Clinically Retarded
I am an honorary Crogerse.
QUOTE (Game Over @ Feb 14 2008, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee, you are the Oscar Wilde of the 21st century.

QUOTE (Patch @ Feb 14 2008, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee is gay?!

#82 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:27 PM

Lose Yourself sucks

This post has been edited by Jordan: 01 February 2008 - 06:28 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#83 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:39 AM

Eminem has charisma that makes up for the general suckiness of his songs. Lose Yourself is an awesome example of that. It's to rap what "Van Halen's Jump" was to rock.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#84 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Feb 2 2008, 02:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eminem has charisma that makes up for the general suckiness of his songs. Lose Yourself is an awesome example of that. It's to rap what "Van Halen's Jump" was to rock.

I couldn't have said that any better myself. However, I think that with Van Halen, while David Lee Roth's charisma definitely saved them from being a total joke (though ultimately making them a complete joke 20 years later), you have to respect the sheer virtuosity of Eddie's playing.

This post has been edited by Heccubus: 02 February 2008 - 07:25 AM

#85 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Jan 31 2008, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least older hiphop/rap had some music to it. Like "Gangsta's Paradise," for instance. It's pretty repetitive and gets old after a bit, but it's actually musical, unlike most of the rap of today, that's just tough talking over a track of repetitive bass bomps and synth wee-oos.

I'm not trying to marginalize hip hop as I am a huge fan of a lot of it but "Gangsta's Paradise" is a poor example of musicality in rap. Anyone can take a Stevie Wonder song's chorus and then rap over the verse part and sound like a genius. Because, of course, it's still an awesome Stevie Wonder song underneath it all.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#86 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:34 AM

I don't recall any virtuosoish playing in "Jump", which is an annoying and terrible song. And Eminem's a pathetic prick, who was capitalizing on being a prick and hating his mother, like many other angry white boys in the mainstream music industry last I checked. Though to be fair, that was maybe three to seven years ago. And I will give him credit for having occasionally decent rhythm/flow with his vocals.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#87 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Feb 2 2008, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not trying to marginalize hip hop as I am a huge fan of a lot of it but "Gangsta's Paradise" is a poor example of musicality in rap. Anyone can take a Stevie Wonder song's chorus and then rap over the verse part and sound like a genius. Because, of course, it's still an awesome Stevie Wonder song underneath it all.

Well, I had no idea the music came from Stevie Wonder. I guess that explains it. tongue.gif Muchly changes my opinion of that song, which is kind of sad since it's one of the few I like. Which Stevie song?
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#88 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:46 PM

Pastime Paradise.
Word Vault
A Writing Guild For The Clinically Retarded
I am an honorary Crogerse.
QUOTE (Game Over @ Feb 14 2008, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee, you are the Oscar Wilde of the 21st century.

QUOTE (Patch @ Feb 14 2008, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee is gay?!

#89 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ Feb 2 2008, 07:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I couldn't have said that any better myself. However, I think that with Van Halen, while David Lee Roth's charisma definitely saved them from being a total joke (though ultimately making them a complete joke 20 years later), you have to respect the sheer virtuosity of Eddie's playing.

Which was difficult to acknowlege when Sammy Hagar was at the wheel. That guy sucked ass.

And underground rap/hiphop fucking rocks. I Was playing a metal head friend New Kingdom's 'paradis don't come cheap' and he was blown away and wondered why people "into rap" (the crap you hear on the radio) listened to such weak shit.

This post has been edited by barend: 04 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

#90 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Feb 2 2008, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I had no idea the music came from Stevie Wonder. I guess that explains it. tongue.gif Muchly changes my opinion of that song, which is kind of sad since it's one of the few I like. Which Stevie song?

Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Songs in the Key of Life. You'll be glad you did! And you will recognize quite a few other songs that have been sampled/borrowed/ripped off over the last 31 years. smile.gif

http://www.amazon.co...0...6861&sr=8-3

NOTE: The Amazon MP3 for the entire two disc set is only $8.99. That's a steal!!
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size