• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Oh my god.

#16 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:48 AM

I can't help but think of the excellent horror effects that Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines was able to create - so no, it doesn't seem lame, rather, I'd say there's some friggin' potential to make the experience even better than it already is.

Or not.

QUOTE (joshofalltrades @ Jan 13 2008, 04:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While Yahtz was known to be a bit fickle in the old days, he's damn well shown that he can deliver on expectations recently. What with weekly ZP reviews and following up on planned sequels (1213), I think it's safe to say that if he says he'll do it, he'll do it.

I'd argue that because of ZP obviously being of more importance right now, circumstances indicate the opposite.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#17 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:19 AM

It won't be only shinier, it's supposed to have extra puzzles, deeper characterisation, more consistent with the Chzo Mythos, chase sequences (yummy!), etc. etc.

#18 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:41 AM

I'll already be satisfied if there'll be one of the famous "Ghost says boo, Gobbler goes YEAAAAAARGH! (E-Minor)" scenes.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#19 User is offline   Joey Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (Thaluikhain @ Jan 13 2008, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does this seem rather lame to anyone else?

I mean, what was wrong with the original game? They've just gone and made it nice and shiny, and that rarely is a good idea.

I've got nothing against a new game being made, but to remake 5DAS with extra bells and whistles seems a bit ill-advised.

I like the idea of it. I think(if done right) it would be even more immersive than the original, because of the first person view. It'd also be nice to see things in greater detail, to really explore the place.
I love the Source engine, because it's so damn powerful, and I can't think of anything better they could use for it.
Smashed up my sanity.
Smashed up my integrity.
Smashed up what I believed in,
Smashed up what's left of me.
Smashed up my everything,
Smashed up all I thought was true,
'gonna smash myself to pieces,
I don't know what else to do.

#20 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (Thaluikhain @ Jan 13 2008, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does this seem rather lame to anyone else?

I mean, what was wrong with the original game? They've just gone and made it nice and shiny, and that rarely is a good idea.

I've got nothing against a new game being made, but to remake 5DAS with extra bells and whistles seems a bit ill-advised.

I think what you're trying to say is that it is disrespectful in the same way that Hollywood tends to balls up any remake/adaptation/sequel with more explosions and guns and sex and token black guys and special effects and so on and so forth.

If that is what you're saying then no, I can't see a problem with it, because this isn't Hollywood and we're all much more intelligent, and because, well, they've made it nice and shiny with extra bells and whistles. What's the problem? Hollywood dramatically changes anything they get their hands on to suit some invisible target audience. Game makers are faithful fans who would stay true to Yahtzee's wishes, especially as he's on board with the project.

#21 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:That place thats close to the thing you know the one

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:07 PM

I'm glad to hear Yathzee himself is involved in this if only to ensure the story is told properly, I thought it was just a fan remake. I think IF this gets finished (I'm a bit cynical about things like this) it will be good not only would I play this I'd buy it.
QUOTE (arien @ Jun 29 2008, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this baby, while still inside its mother, murdered his twin brother and STOLE HIS PENIS.

That is one badass baby.

#22 User is offline   Jenx Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:38 PM

Well as much as I despise first person adventure games, I like the way things are going for now. What I am really concerned about though is the character models. How would Trilby look, the Wielder and everyone else. Also, for some reason the manor right now strikes me more as a school rather then......as a manor.
QUOTE (Ninja Duck @ Jan 15 2008, 05:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And the film should be shot in sepia, because real life was in sepia in the 1990s.

#23 User is offline   ?!! Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Interests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ Jan 13 2008, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't help but think of the excellent horror effects that Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines was able to create - so no, it doesn't seem lame, rather, I'd say there's some friggin' potential to make the experience even better than it already is.

Or not.

(Something about Y being able to do it)

I'd argue that because of ZP obviously being of more importance right now, circumstances indicate the opposite.

Actually, I'd argue circumstances indicate the opposite of the opposite. Well, that opposite, anyway. If you only consider his job, jobs being a massive black hole of time-sucking boredom for the rest of us, then his week isn't all that busy. Play a videogame and (most times) finish it, that takes about two days for long ones, then make the video, let's say on a really, really lazy scale, that's about one day. Three days out of seven. Plenty of time left to supervise a project that seems to be going along at a crawl as is, so I'd say it's pretty easy.
We're whalers on the moon
We carry a harpoon
But there ain't no whales so we tell tall tales
And sing a whaling tune

#24 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:17 AM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Jan 13 2008, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It won't be only shinier, it's supposed to have extra puzzles, deeper characterisation, more consistent with the Chzo Mythos, chase sequences (yummy!), etc. etc.

But then you're changing the original. TRILBY SHOT FIRST!! and all.

Anyway, I thought it was much better before the C word was introduced to XDAS.

#25 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:29 AM

I agree. Don’t mess with the originals. Perhaps the game should be a spiritual prequel to 5 Days a Stranger? Perhaps it could show the background story of A.J?

This post has been edited by Snake Logan: 14 January 2008 - 02:30 AM

Word Vault
A Writing Guild For The Clinically Retarded
I am an honorary Crogerse.
QUOTE (Game Over @ Feb 14 2008, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee, you are the Oscar Wilde of the 21st century.

QUOTE (Patch @ Feb 14 2008, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee is gay?!

#26 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:52 AM

What can I say, I'm opposed to remakes of games, purely on the principle that there's no real need for it. I never once played any adventure game and thought: "Not bad, but could do with better graphics." But of course, I belong to the retro-gamer pidgeon hole and would say that.

Of course, I'm all in favour of a new games. Just not the equation being used now of: old game + shine = new game.

#27 User is offline   ?!! Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Interests

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (Snake Logan @ Jan 14 2008, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree. Don’t mess with the originals. Perhaps the game should be a spiritual prequel to 5 Days a Stranger? Perhaps it could show the background story of A.J?

I know I'm usually wrong about stuff like this, but I think it's a bad idea. Prequels usually suck, and we already know what he was up to anyway.
We're whalers on the moon
We carry a harpoon
But there ain't no whales so we tell tall tales
And sing a whaling tune

#28 User is offline   arien Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (joshofalltrades @ Jan 12 2008, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What with weekly ZP reviews and following up on planned sequels (1213), I think it's safe to say that if he says he'll do it, he'll do it.

Wait, what about 1213? Did I miss something big again? Or am I just confused?

#29 User is offline   CJ Marren Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Wrestling, games, books, music, working out,

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:53 AM

Y'know I thought Yahtz always hated remakes of games... but he's remaking his own... I'm as excited as anybody, but isn't it a TAD hypocritical?

*awaits tar, feathers and expulsion from FR forum*
<!--quoteo(post=174818:date=Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM:name=Cobnat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cobnat @ Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=174818"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Lets all have sex with robots until our groins are sore and bloody!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=169306:date=Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=169306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#483D8B--><span style="color:#483D8B"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->So why the unholy flying purple donkeypunching fuck will it not work on yours? Just what kind of machine are you running there? Your toaster?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And the man again!
<!--quoteo(post=180859:date=Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=180859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my opinion it's saying, fuck the lightsabers and special effects and fuck your voiceovers and fuck your stupid multimilliondollar game studios; you don't need any of those to make brilliant and scary games that will fuck with your head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<u><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->My Getting Huge Progress (Gym and weight gain diet)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></u>
<b>May '07:</b> 11st (154lbs)
<b>August '07:</b> 12st 7lbs (175lbs)
<b>November '07:</b> 12st 9lbs (177lbs)
<b>December '07:</b> 12st 11lbs (179lbs)
<b>January '08:</b> 12st 12lbs (180lbs)
<b>Febuary '08:</b> 13st 2lbs (184lbs)
<b>March '08:</b> 13st 7lbs (189lbs)

#30 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE (arien @ Jan 14 2008, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait, what about 1213? Did I miss something big again? Or am I just confused?

When the first 1213 came out, two sequels were promised and then delivered, albeit begrudgingly. I was only trying to demonstrate that Yahtzee can make good on promises.

QUOTE (CJ Marren @ Jan 14 2008, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Y'know I thought Yahtz always hated remakes of games... but he's remaking his own... I'm as excited as anybody, but isn't it a TAD hypocritical?

*awaits tar, feathers and expulsion from FR forum*

I could be wrong, but I think he's primarily against shitty remakes or unnecessary ones. Though I suppose you could argue that a remake of 5DAS is unnecessary, I think that a HL2 Source remake would attract a much, much larger audience than the AGS version would and thus attract a bigger group of people to his fan base, which in turn would fill Yahtzee's coffers a bit.

And that's not a bad thing. The more support and money Yahtzee has, the higher the likelihood that we'll see more games.
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size