#16 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:14 AM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Jan 11 2008, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can't spell Clinton without Cnn

That's awesome. You know you can't spell Bush without BS?
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#17 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:33 AM

QUOTE (Snake Logan @ Jan 13 2008, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look to the past to determine the future. Clinton lied under oath. Perhaps Bush followed his example when it came to Iraq?

Clinton lied about a sex act; it's not the same as lying about national security or foreign policy. That's the problem with American Politics, that you can kill anyone on reputation if it's about sex, but if they sell guns to an alleged enemy, they are an American patriot. Clinton did in that case what any man would do; he lied. He should have said "no comment," but in the court of public opinion that is the same as "yes." A better society would never have asked him the question in the first place. Maybe this is back on topic, as the issue wouldn't have been so prominent without 24/7 news coverage. I agree that 24/7 microscopic scrutiny of all public figures is ruining reporting.

I'm not sure though what you're referring to with respect to Bush. When was he under oath?

And no, Deep Throat was not related to Nixon. Deep Throat was FBI official Mark Felt, whose identity was made public, funny enough, by his family.

"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#18 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jan 14 2008, 04:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's awesome. You know you can't spell Bush without BS?

That makes perfect sense. Because we've had BS network news for years.

#19 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jan 14 2008, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Clinton lied about a sex act; it's not the same as lying about national security or foreign policy. That's the problem with American Politics, that you can kill anyone on reputation if it's about sex, but if they sell guns to an alleged enemy, they are an American patriot. Clinton did in that case what any man would do; he lied. He should have said "no comment," but in the court of public opinion that is the same as "yes." A better society would never have asked him the question in the first place. Maybe this is back on topic, as the issue wouldn't have been so prominent without 24/7 news coverage. I agree that 24/7 microscopic scrutiny of all public figures is ruining reporting.

If he can lie about not committing adultery then he can also lie about the reasons of invading of a country. If you can lie under oath then you can lie under oath. This isn’t about his reputation.

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jan 14 2008, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure though what you're referring to with respect to Bush. When was he under oath?

I was confusing him with the other higher-ups during the 9/11 inquest. Sorry.
Word Vault
A Writing Guild For The Clinically Retarded
I am an honorary Crogerse.
QUOTE (Game Over @ Feb 14 2008, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee, you are the Oscar Wilde of the 21st century.

QUOTE (Patch @ Feb 14 2008, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee is gay?!

#20 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:38 PM

If he can lie about not committing adultery then he can also lie about the reasons of invading of a country. If you can lie under oath then you can lie under oath. This isn’t about his reputation.

Doesn't take a genious to know that this is a faulty logic device! Snake has me on ignore, but I had to pipe up any how.

Furthermore, what the hell does Clinton's sex scandel have to do with Bush and Cheney invading countries?

JFK got more tail than any one. He left a trail of hormones that led to a girlfriend of a mob boss and a public icon. Why is it that people still regard him as great? Oscar Schindler was a womanizer and a cheat and a war profiteer but he's still regarded as a man who did something special.

Fact is, bedroom antics shouldn't interfere with professional achievements. Clinton's sex scandal was a circus. We got all the little dirty details and the slut in the case became a fucking public icon, getting endorsements from weight loss companys and selling exclusive interviews to magazines.

All men would deny cheating on their spouse. To say that if you can lie underoath over one issue that you can do it over any....well I doubt people are that cut and dry. I've lied before, does that make me a liar? Does it negate all the times I've told the truth?

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#21 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Jan 14 2008, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doesn't take a genious to know that this is a faulty logic device! Snake has me on ignore, but I had to pipe up any how.

Furthermore, what the hell does Clinton's sex scandel have to do with Bush and Cheney invading countries?

JFK got more tail than any one. He left a trail of hormones that led to a girlfriend of a mob boss and a public icon. Why is it that people still regard him as great? Oscar Schindler was a womanizer and a cheat and a war profiteer but he's still regarded as a man who did something special.

Fact is, bedroom antics shouldn't interfere with professional achievements. Clinton's sex scandal was a circus. We got all the little dirty details and the slut in the case became a fucking public icon, getting endorsements from weight loss companys and selling exclusive interviews to magazines.

All men would deny cheating on their spouse. To say that if you can lie underoath over one issue that you can do it over any....well I doubt people are that cut and dry. I've lied before, does that make me a liar? Does it negate all the times I've told the truth?

Jordan's right, Snake - you're using what's known as a "slippery slope" argument. Doesn't work well in debates (doesn't stop people from trying to use it, though). He's also right that when talking proven personal life antics, Clinton is actually pretty tame compared to most U.S. leaders, or other country leaders, or other people we all refer to as great.

This post has been edited by Spoon Poetic: 14 January 2008 - 11:18 PM
Reason for edit:: adding Jordan's post as a quote

I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#22 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:01 AM

Lying and lying under oath are two completely different things. To lie under oath in a court of law is to break the law. He broke the law in order to improve his public image.
Word Vault

Yahtzee is gay?!

#23 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:10 AM

Yes, and that's bad, and that's why he was impeached.
What even is your point?
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#24 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:54 AM

That he is at the very least corrupt and that his corruption can only hinder his wife’s presidency if she is elected.
Word Vault

Yahtzee is gay?!

#25 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:26 AM

Secret life of Bill and Hillary Clinton. Youtube. Look it up, it's damn chilling.

I can believe it.

They are at least calculating and at the most- will never be concerned with YOU

#26 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:57 PM

I could see that when she made her poorly executed emotional ploy to the idiot soccer moms last week.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#27 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (Snake Logan @ Jan 14 2008, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That he is at the very least corrupt and that his corruption can only hinder his wife’s presidency if she is elected.

You mean aside from the fact that she is her own person?

Sure Clinton lied, we all know it
no one is denying that
but are you seriously saying that his mistake
proves Hilary is unfit to lead a country?

Beside the fact Clintion was hailed as a wonderful president
even after the affair people love him
and he was a successful president, that
means he could offer important advice and counsel

Unless he plans to sleep with a
White House Correspondent this time
Perhaps CNN's Candy Crawley, (b/c i hear he likes big girls)
i don't quite see the hinderance

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#28 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:00 PM

She is not her own person because a person is greatly affected by the opinions of those close to them. Bill Clinton didn’t just lie, he also broke the law. How was he a ‘successful’ president?

This post has been edited by Snake Logan: 15 January 2008 - 11:03 PM

Word Vault

Yahtzee is gay?!

#29 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:12 AM

So he broke the law!
Its not like he killed someone
and then lied about it
Oh lord i think we can forgive that
what would you have done?

If anything the masses should be outraged
that the president had the gaul
to have an affair while in office.
why aren't people mad about that
But no, its all about the fact he lied, get over it

So what you're saying is no one is their own person
b/c their opinions maybe affected by those close to them
Dude your logic is loopy
you have completely lost me

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#30 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:00 AM

It was an invasion of privacy, of the highest order, to take a figure so much in the public eye and force him under oath to speak about a personal matter. Not since McCarthy were people asked so forcefully to focus their intelligence on the irrelevant at the expense of all real issues. It was dirty politics, it was a smear campaign initiated by politicians who could not harm him in the other ways they'd tried, and it was an unAmerican thing to do. People talk about how Nixon was a dirty politician, but he looked into people's campaign contributions and political strategies, not into their bedrooms. Hoover tried to bring down Martin Luther King by saying he was immoral for sleeping with a white woman. He sent FBI agents after him to tape him having sex. That is how politics is done in the United States, by manipulating the tabloid-addled minds of the press and its customers.

Lying under oath when asked about a personal matter isn't a crime. It's a defence of privacy; it's damned patriotic. Trying to say "he lied about nookie, therefore he not only MAY have but ultimately MUST have lied about everything else" is just to say that you are a Republican and you liked the politics of shame used by the Republicans in that instance. Shame on you.

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size