• (2 Pages)
  • +

Zero Punctuation: SH Origins

#16 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:45 AM

Name one game in which weapon degradation has been a good thing?

I may be one yea in a chorus of nays, but System Shock 2. Totally unrealistic, sure, but it made the game so much more intense when combined with spawning enemies (which you don't actually see spawning).

I still remember playing on Impossible -- the hybrid running at me with his shotgun and moaning "KILL ME" while I aim my pistol at the SOB, squeeze the trigger and... "CLICK".

There needed to be a button assigned to making Goggles pee his pants.
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#17 User is offline   Legion Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Horror stuff, spicy food, RPG and FPS video games, decent novels, stand-up comedy, watching idiots maim themselves doing stupid things, Asian or Italian food and web surfing.<br /><br />Yup, I'm a complete geek.

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:09 PM

Curses, you said what I was going to, josh. Although my personal favourites were the Cyborg Midwives. This may have been because they were not only psychotic but also had boobs; but I'll leave that particular topic open to debate.

Great ZP Yahtz. Although the idea of Pyramid Head running a ticket stall is kind of unsettling.
I'm not pessimistic; I've just realised that the light at the end of the tunnel is an incoming train.

#18 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:10 PM

I didn't like the weapon degradation system in SS2, I would've preferred being given a lot less ammo or something like that. That'd still make people use their wrenches and lightsabers (yummy).

Somehow I don't find it the least bit atmospheric when your assault rifle goes totally haywire from perfect condition after unloading HALF of the motherfucking clip into a monster. It just pisses me off.

#19 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:14 PM

I never really used the AR, and most of the time I played the psychic, which meant when I was low on hypos I would pull out the pistol.

I agree that it was unbalanced, but there was a modification out there where you could tone down on the insanely high weapon breaking rate (and lower some of the maintenance tool appearance rate, too).

#20 User is offline   Sylv Icon

• New Cop

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (joshofalltrades @ Jan 10 2008, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree that it was unbalanced, but there was a modification out there where you could tone down on the insanely high weapon breaking rate (and lower some of the maintenance tool appearance rate, too).

If we're thinking of the same thing, it turned weapons breaking right off and let you cut down on the monster spawn rate.

QUOTE (Casual @ Jan 10 2008, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only silent hill I've played was the room, and it was alright not mindblowing but it was atmospheric. I might have to try playing silent hill 2 before I can say this but theres not much about the series that has ever appealed to me. I can honestly say I think Yatzees AGS games had more atmosphere and gave me bigger jumps. (7 days realy gave me an actual scare when the welder was chasing me about the ship)

Oh man, you're doing yourself a disservice by only playing Silent Hill 4 (which didn't originally start out as a SH game at all, which may explain some of its quirks). I highly, highly recommend playing the other Silent Hills. SH1 and SH2 absolutely floored me years after they were put out. (SH3's story isn't as riveting as the other two but it's still quite good. It's also the only one that really depends on continuity to carry the plot, so be sure to play it after SH1. SH2 can be played whenever you like as it's practically a stand-alone story in the series)

This post has been edited by Sylv: 10 January 2008 - 03:26 PM

#21 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (Sylv @ Jan 10 2008, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If we're thinking of the same thing, it turned weapons breaking right off and let you cut down on the monster spawn rate.

No, the one I am talking about had either sliders bars and all sorts of nice ways to tone the game to your liking or several variations on the mod (like Weapon Breaking -- quick, normal, unbreakable). I would go hunting for it but, as I have mentioned on this forum many times, I am a lazy bastard.

I do know the SS2 community was thriving last I checked, though.

#22 User is offline   Captain Wonderful Icon

• New Cop

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:50 PM

Weapon breaking should really be a rare thing, and should take you by surprise with no warning and force you to reevaluate the situation, if it's ever going to be a useful mechanic.

#23 User is offline   Itaritz Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:Video Games, SciFi, Fantasy, trying to write SciFi and Fantasy, political philosophy (Let's face it , the higher stuff is for physicists now), Yahtzee, Craig Ferguson, Hank the Cowdog, and orange juice. That about covers it.

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:54 PM

At risk of sounding like the nice little paper cutout of a Yahtzeenoob I am... Great review as always!

I've never played a Silent Hill game, and indeed watching this review was basically my first experience with it, unless you count glancing at one of the games in Blockbuster a few years ago. Yahtzee seems to have the same kind of love/hate/angry at the developers/sad that it's so crappy now relationship with this series that I have with Armored Core and that everyone on the internet has with Star Wars, so I think I know the feeling even if I don't know what he's talking about.

Haha, eat your own ass, best ending since the Darkness one. That reminds me of a line from Home Improvement about bending over backwards until one is staring one's self in the butt. ...Not that I ever watched Home Improvement. I only remember that because the commercial is recorded on one of my old Beast Wars tapes.

...Yeah, I think the cure was worse than the disease there if I'm looking for respect... rolleyes.gif
When in doubt, plead sarcasm.

The ETSP - Worst. Website. Ever.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size