Chefelf.com Night Life: Stargate and such - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stargate and such About fucking time, really...

#1 User is offline   ?!! Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Interests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:46 AM

So I was looking around this board and saw there was no topic for the Stargate show or shows. Stargate being the only really nerdy show I'm a fan of, I was surprised not to see it here. So, here's the talking about it part.

As I said before, Started watching it last year and I like it. I like it because it's different from a lot of those other "spacey" shows, if I may use the term. More of an emphasis on philosophy and other societies than the whole space opera thing.

So... anybody else have an opinion?
We're whalers on the moon
We carry a harpoon
But there ain't no whales so we tell tall tales
And sing a whaling tune

#2 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

I've watched a few episodes when other people had it on TV, and I couldn't watch it. It seemed like every other spacey show to me. sad.gif
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#3 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:26 AM

It was more agreeable to me than most others. I generally don't like the schlock-fi stuff I see being aired. I didn't follow it religiously or anything but I watched an episode every now and then. The later seasons seemed more focused on continuity though, and the plot became lost on me.

#4 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:22 PM

It was pretty keen for the first few seasons, and then went into both annoying cliche plot reuse AND serialization between episodes at the same time and got boring and repetitive.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#5 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:13 AM

In the house one of the guys got the entire SG-1 boxset so we're watching it now. I have to say, it was better than I thought it would be, but there's a number of things that I don't like about it.

1. They introduce a new character for an episode, and even if he worked in the same building as they do, they never even seem to bump into them again until some life threating situation. They might aswell just put a red shirt on him at that point. I know alot of shows do that, but because they sometimes have half a season between showing this character, it is sometimes hard to get attached to them.
2. Some of the storylines are kind of cop-outs, most of the people they've discovered so far (I'm at the end of Season 4), either superior in technology in every way, or as primative as the day they taken from earth. It just seems odd that they meet all of these people, and they all fall under this two types. Making any new discovery kind of pointless, since from the off you can almost guess what's going to happen.

But I liked the groundhog day episode though.

#6 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:That place thats close to the thing you know the one

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:29 AM

QUOTE (Slade @ Jan 10 2008, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was pretty keen for the first few seasons, and then went into both annoying cliche plot reuse AND serialization between episodes at the same time and got boring and repetitive.

I completely agree it was the best sci fi out there for the first 3 or 4 seasons then they fell into the trap of removing all continuity and making each episode a self contained saga for people who couldn’t be bothered watching the whole series much like Andromeda in fact. From there it devolved into as you say a rehash of all the worst star trek plots.

And don’t get me started on Atlantis, to quote the great Stephen Fry "loose stool water and arse gravy of the worst kind". Sums it up nicely I think.

QUOTE (arien @ Jun 29 2008, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this baby, while still inside its mother, murdered his twin brother and STOLE HIS PENIS.

That is one badass baby.

#7 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:24 AM

Also, it must piss off people in other countries, since it implies that English is the highest evolutionary step, since every people they come across (bar one or two) have evolved independantly to speak it. I mean, some of them use random words of a different tognue, but it just makes them sound like they're pretending to speak it since they only know a couple of words, like kids learning Latin.

This post has been edited by Dr Lecter: 15 February 2008 - 04:24 AM

#8 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

Also, they should get SG-1 to work on cancer, since they can solve all these diseases and things from an another worlds within a few days or hours, surely curing human diseases be easy in comparision.

#9 User is offline   makingfun22_sw Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:42 PM

Stargate sucks period.
There many reasons for that. I'll state a FEW
A)It makes fun of the ancient mythologies.

B)It has the worst enemies. You want proof lets count them.

1) Bugs of sorts who want to be worshipped because it's in their nature!!!! They steal technology, they make none themselves, want to be worshipped, are douplecrossers,......
2) Mindless machines of destruction. I think they became intelligent but they are still bad guys for no good reason.
3) The Ori. Pure evil. Ascended beings who need to be worshipped. (where i found guys like that before? I can't remember.)
4) Blood, sorry i meant Life sucking aliens. Do i need to say anything else?
5) Nanites who in their programme is incomporated violence. Pure evil by nature. Sound familiar?
6) Everyone (such as the Genii) who has a different opinion than the protagonists.

C) The protagonists are acting like cowboys whose opinion is always the correct one, while every one else's, even when they have the same opinion, is wrong.
Example: In Atlantis the military guy states "we leave noone behind" and storms to liberate his superior, waking a powerful enemy and condeming so many lives in the process. But when the Genii want to wait for their guy in the first Genii episode, he just leaves.

D) The Americans with the stargate programme protect all of us. All the others are stupid who just need to be rescued. Worthless. As a non-American i find that offensive. OK USA has the stargate, which either stole from Egypt (where the stargate was), or from England (which was making the excavations in Egypt the historical period the stargate was discovered), but the scripts could deal with something else other than saving the world again and again making the rest of the world seem worthless.

E) The world is being saved at least two times per year from SG-1. Only from SG-1. The rest teams go fu*k yourselves. Worthless. Four men (actually three and a woman) are needed to save earth. Perhaps we should crown them rulers of Earth and let them rule us all?

F) Stargate does NOT promote science. It has statted that we use only a percentage of our brain which is an urban legend. We use ALL of our brain.

G) Is militaristic and elitistic. Shoot them = problem solved.

H) It depicts all the other races inferior to humans. The Asgard though far more superior in matters of technology and military can't deal with the Goauld (which the humans of Earth, because the rest suck and are stupid and backward people, kicked), and are saved by the humans, of Earth of course who else, by their mortal enemy. The Ancients are "bad" because they believe in non interference and some alien or human cultures either more advanced than Earth or not are not explored, if they are not being accused for something. = Racism.

HUMANS, sorry i meant AMERICANS, sorry i meant SG-1 RULES the galaxy... IN SUCKING.

I am so glad that this franchise soon will end. It will never will be as deep, wide and rich as DUNE, STAR TREK and STAR WARS.

This post has been edited by makingfun22_sw: 26 November 2008 - 11:47 PM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic