US Elections All-Encompassing

#346 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:00 PM

http://www.newsweek....d/169157/page/1

since the topic shifted, that's a great article on why gay marriage will eventually kick some hillbilly butt.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#347 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:21 AM

Exactly, no point talking about it now.

#348 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:30 PM

To get philosophical about it, theres really not much point in anything.

Especially you.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#349 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:07 AM

So.

Hilary Clinton as Secretary of State.

I have to say it - I totally called this one. (Though I might not have made my prediction on these forums.)

Anyone have any pros or cons about this new development to discuss?
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#350 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:10 PM

Howard Dean better be in the cabinet, and I wish he'd give that nice Mr. Kucinich a post too!

Also, I'd like to suggest myself to head up the new special branch investigating executive war crimes and implementing firing squads (sbiewcaifs) or at least hope that there will be one.

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 21 November 2008 - 05:11 PM

#351 User is offline   TheOrator Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:17 PM

Con: If the Obama, Biden, the Speaker of the House and the President pro tempore of the Senate die, Hilary Clinton would be next in line.

Pro: She's not President pro tempore of the Senate.
"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum."
-John Carpenter's They Live

"God help us...in the future."
-Plan 9 from Outer Space

nooooo

#352 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:21 PM

I hate the stupid presidential succession line. No one on that list was ever put to a vote by the people. Ugh.

I think this was a VERY smart move for Hilary. Many Sec. of States have gone on to be presidents. This is a good position of power to be in. She will have Obama's ear, and my guess is she'll be able to make Obama do whatever she wants.

Scary.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#353 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:39 PM

Usually, the VP is voted in by the people. I dare say part of McCain's downfall was the fear of Palin in office.

You're right of course about the rest of them. But you need some kind of system; a mid-term election with no campaign would be disruptive to the economy. And do you really wnat to vote in all those positions? How much time you got? And do you think Joe the Plumber would really care who was Secretary of Agriculture? And is all that vopting worth it for a contingency that comes up only once every forty years or so?
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#354 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:01 PM

Well the succession could go down people that you do vote in. I dunno. I can't come up with a better solution but I can still complain about the current one. :-P I just hope nobody dies.

And kinda get to vote on VP but not exactly, seeing as that they just get tacked onto the presidential candidates. So you might hate Biden, but also hate McCain, and so vote for Obama. You're not oging to vote for the presidential candidate you hate just because you hate the one you like's VP, considering unless the president dies the VP doesn't do much anyway (well, rule the House, but no one seems to care about that).

#355 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:47 PM

Well, agreed, mostly. I don't know what happened to the fence-sitting types, but I did hear a lot of folks (probably Dems) making a lot of noise about how Palin was going to be President when septaguenarian McCain died on his first Camp David retreat. So yea, I doubt any dyed-in-the-wool Republicans changed their vote. In fact, they probably learned to like Palin.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#356 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:07 AM

That was something we all went into campaign mode against at HQ, and there was a reason for that.

McCain was not a very conservative guy, he was, previously, sort of a maverick, and that's the image he promoted. He wasnt beholden to the conservative base. So no one in that base gave a damn about him.

So Palin comes out of nowhere and gets these idiots all excited and they start screaming death to Obama at her rallies, and she starts delivering all the hard attacks on our man. So, after the GOP convention for a month McCain kinda ceded the spot light to her because she was more of a draw than he was.

But once the "wow its a lady lookit shiney!" had worn off, people started realizing she was underqualified and she became a big focus of attacks, only because McCain had tried to turn her into such a big focus in the first place.

#357 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:38 PM

In election related news, Barack Obama met with George Bush today to discuss his transition into the whitehouse:

#358 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:29 PM

Not to nitpick a joke, but... Doesn't the president bring his own desk?
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#359 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:56 PM

Nope, actually the desk in the white house oval office was a gift from Queen Victoria, and has been there for over a hundred years.

#360 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:57 PM

Actually the new administration gets to pick out all the furniture/decoration/etc. for the Oval Office, hence it looking different from picture to picture. They just tend to pick the Resolute Desk as their desk because it's like, trendy or something... rolleyes.gif But Obama doesn't have to use that desk, and I'm pretty darn sure Obama's Oval Office is gonna look preeeeetty different from Bush's Oval Office. Though he'll probably still use the Resolute Desk because, come on, only a Communist wouldn't... tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Spoon Poetic: 01 December 2008 - 01:20 AM
Reason for edit:: clarification and fixing a smiley

• (25 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size