Chefelf.com Night Life: Political correctness run amuck - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Political correctness run amuck

#16 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:51 PM

No, clearly this is an example of Zen humor. Being funny by not being funny.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#17 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE (Slade @ Jan 14 2008, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're really just not good at sarcasm, sir. You need to give it a rest and practice somewhere else for a while.

Surely it is the other person’s inability to detect sarcasm that is the problem.

QUOTE (Otal Nimrodi @ Jan 14 2008, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, clearly this is an example of Zen humor. Being funny by not being funny.

Or not being funny by being funny.
Word Vault
A Writing Guild For The Clinically Retarded
I am an honorary Crogerse.
QUOTE (Game Over @ Feb 14 2008, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee, you are the Oscar Wilde of the 21st century.

QUOTE (Patch @ Feb 14 2008, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee is gay?!

#18 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:06 AM

My only problem with my school experience was the english courses. Looking back they should have put more emphasis on writing essays and grammar. My old grade 12 essays were total shit. I got B's on them too, I wouldn't give myself a passing mark right now if I graded it.

You'll generally forget 99% of all the 'facts'.

The major things to know leaveing school are as follows

Basic math, writing (grammar and structure), information extracting, research, and oral presentations.

They're should actually be a course along side each semester that reinforces the above principles.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 14 January 2008 - 01:07 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#19 User is offline   ?!! Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Interests

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:41 AM

I went to a bunch of schools with a bunch of teaching styles, so I experienced pretty much everything. In one school's history class we had this big thing on the holocaust, this happened to be the same school with this neo-nazi-ist guy I knew. Same class, too. And then in the next school I never even made it to WWII, just learned the same stuff as before, which I thought was dumb, but on the upside we went into this huge deal on the crusades, which I hadn't learned that much about before. As far as English goes, year after year of the same old stuff, which I got to thinking was the norm, until I had this one teacher in a school who was really great. Really challenged me and focused on equal grammar and creative writing, not just a bunch of grammar and reading a story now and then. It really made me notice a big change in the curriculum, as in my next school I was back to learning the same old crap I had been all along and punctuation was judged more important than what the damn paper actually says. So I guess you're best chances are to move around a lot. Seemed to work for me.
We're whalers on the moon
We carry a harpoon
But there ain't no whales so we tell tall tales
And sing a whaling tune

#20 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:36 AM

While I was searching through the Chefelf.com archives I came across an example were people cannot seem to comprehend their own history.
Word Vault

Yahtzee is gay?!

#21 User is offline   Itaritz Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:Video Games, SciFi, Fantasy, trying to write SciFi and Fantasy, political philosophy (Let's face it , the higher stuff is for physicists now), Yahtzee, Craig Ferguson, Hank the Cowdog, and orange juice. That about covers it.

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:32 PM

While I was searching through the Chefelf.com archives I came across an example were people cannot seem to comprehend their own history.
And what does that have to do with the topic at hand? I would think that the politically correct response to such a film would be approval, since trying not to offend gays and other minorities is a part of political correctness and having a renowned historical figure who is seen as more civilization bringer than conqueror portrayed as gay or bisexual would be a generally positive thing for those who want discrimination against gays to end.

Unless you're saying that the film is being politically correct for portraying Alexander as bisexual when you think he was not. In which case, give it a break. It's a movie, and though based on history inevitably fills in the gaps with the most interesting thing still historically plausable. It was most likely trying to be controversial by portraying Alexander as bisexual, not politically correct. At least in my understanding.

And as this topic has shifted from a discussion of the educational content of history classes to a general bashing of political correctness and I'm already posting, I think I'll give my opinion on that now. I am, of course, against political correctness as a whole, especially in historical education where political correctness is little more than lies.

But then again, I can't bring myself to accept that this kind of rabid anti political correctness which seems to run rampant on forums such as these as the correct response to it. This blatant opposition to making any kind of effort to avoid giving any kind of offense can be just as harmful as blatant support of it. Sometimes a certain degree of, shall we say, diplomatic wording, can be more helpful than a bluntly insulting statement. I know, I know, people should just get over it if they are offended, and I agree with that. But the politically correct operate more on the statement (though of course they of all people never say it straight-out) that the people who give offense should get over those who they offend being different from them in some way, and I agree with that too.

And that sounded a lot more coherent in my mind, so I'll shut up now and let this stormtrooper guy kick me in the nuts a few times.
When in doubt, plead sarcasm.

The ETSP - Worst. Website. Ever.

#22 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

Alexander the Great was bisexual. Since it was a custom to fuck little boys back then. This is a matter of being historically accurate as some people like to keep to their politically correct ideals that all their historic leaders were saints.
Word Vault

Yahtzee is gay?!

#23 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:45 PM

I don't think you got the point of the last post. He/she was trying to point out that there shouldn't be anything seen as unsaintly in being bisexual. That the political correct attitude would be to say that Alexander was bisexual and that that was not a big deal. The topic you linked was a news article that said some Greek folks didn't like the claim that Alexander was gay. They said that because they don't like gays and they think to say that Alexander was gay is to belittle his memory. Saying Alexander was not bisexual is not the politically correct move; it's the politically incorrect one.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#24 User is offline   ?!! Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (Snake Logan @ Jan 17 2008, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alexander the Great was bisexual. Since it was a custom to fuck little boys back then. This is a matter of being historically accurate as some people like to keep to their politically correct ideals that all their historic leaders were saints.

Kind of a stretch there, don't you think?

This post has been edited by ?!!: 17 January 2008 - 09:48 PM

We carry a harpoon
And sing a whaling tune

#25 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jan 18 2008, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think you got the point of the last post. He/she was trying to point out that there shouldn't be anything seen as unsaintly in being bisexual. That the political correct attitude would be to say that Alexander was bisexual and that that was not a big deal. The topic you linked was a news article that said some Greek folks didn't like the claim that Alexander was gay. They said that because they don't like gays and they think to say that Alexander was gay is to belittle his memory. Saying Alexander was not bisexual is not the politically correct move; it's the politically incorrect one.

Political correctness is whatever society deems correct at the time.
Word Vault

Yahtzee is gay?!

#26 User is offline   BigStupidDogFacedArse Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:22 PM

You know, Snake, one line and grossly vague posts aren't worth our time of day. Political Correctness is whatever society THINKS is the popular choice, not the correct choice. But any how, even with your oddball explanation, you didn't rebuke the post you quoted.

#27 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (BigStupidDogFacedArse @ Jan 18 2008, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, Snake, one line and grossly vague posts aren't worth our time of day. Political Correctness is whatever society THINKS is the popular choice, not the correct choice.

I want you to reread what I posted.

QUOTE (Snake Logan @ Jan 18 2008, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (BigStupidDogFacedArse @ Jan 18 2008, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But any how, even with your oddball explanation, you didn't rebuke the post you quoted.

I think I did. He claimed that political correctness was inheritably in support of the bisexual identity.
Word Vault

Yahtzee is gay?!

#28 User is offline   ?!! Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:20 AM

Um... no? I think? You always confuse me to the point of giving up. Please explain yourself next time.

You know what I would like to see, just once? I'd like to see the Presidential candidate swear. Not "damn", or something, but a real swear word. A man's swear word. I'd sure as hell vote for that guy.

That may not exactly fit the theme here, so I'm saying I'd like to see a political figure not act PC in the public. I suppose swearing isn't exactly in the PC area, but you know what I mean.

EDIT: Okay, in case you haven't noticed by now, I've been trying to make some on-topic parts to every off-topic post I make. Just want to tell you.

This post has been edited by ?!!: 18 January 2008 - 01:21 AM

We carry a harpoon
And sing a whaling tune

#29 User is offline   BigStupidDogFacedArse Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:46 AM

What didn't I understand? Society doesn't have to deem it correct, just accept it because it's popular and will avoid controversy.

Seriously Snake Logan, you ever think you're the one in the fring pan when EVERYBODY else can't understand you also when you can't understand any one here? Of course not, we're all wrong and just so happen to think the exact same way, which you've mentioned, and also some how extrapolate information from YOUR comments in the same way.

#30 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:17 AM

QUOTE (?!! @ Jan 18 2008, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know what I would like to see, just once? I'd like to see the Presidential candidate swear. Not "damn", or something, but a real swear word. A man's swear word. I'd sure as hell vote for that guy.

You mean when Bush used ‘shit’ and ‘Syria’ in the same sentence?
Word Vault

Yahtzee is gay?!

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size