Chefelf.com Night Life: DeFoe Saga Arkham Horror Cards - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

DeFoe Saga Arkham Horror Cards Great Old One + Herald

#1 User is offline   Keldi Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 15 December 2007 - 10:16 PM

I made a Great Old One card for Chzo, and a Herald card for The New Prince. These are for the Arkham Horror board game by Fantasy Flight. They're about a meg and a half each.

Chzo

The New Prince

The rules on them probably need to be playtested, but I let the game to friends in another state, so it'll be a while before I can do so. Any feedback is appreciated.

Yahtzee, if you'd like me to pull these down, I will; just let me know.

#2 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 December 2007 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE (Keldi @ Dec 16 2007, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I made a Great Old One card for Chzo, and a Herald card for The New Prince. These are for the Arkham Horror board game by Fantasy Flight. They're about a meg and a half each.

Chzo

The New Prince

The rules on them probably need to be playtested, but I let the game to friends in another state, so it'll be a while before I can do so. Any feedback is appreciated.

Yahtzee, if you'd like me to pull these down, I will; just let me know.

Dude... awesome.
Word Vault
A Writing Guild For The Clinically Retarded
I am an honorary Crogerse.
QUOTE (Game Over @ Feb 14 2008, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee, you are the Oscar Wilde of the 21st century.

QUOTE (Patch @ Feb 14 2008, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee is gay?!

#3 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 16 December 2007 - 01:44 AM

Gotta say, it looks like the guy would wake up far too soon. You want to keep the game going a while, you see. So, nice attempt, but maybe tweak the New Prince a bit, or something of the sort.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#4 User is offline   Sylv Icon

• New Cop

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:00 AM

Neat. I'd kind of like to see one for the Tall Man as well. Maybe he can be the first herald and the New Prince can be an upgrade if a certain condition is met. (Maybe as the terror level rises?)

#5 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:23 AM

The sprite graphics look kind of weird next to the photoshopped scrolls and backgrounds, couldn't you recolour them as well?

#6 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 16 December 2007 - 01:43 PM

Well, in his defense, the actual Arkham Horror things would be difficult to replicate.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#7 User is offline   Keldi Icon

• New Cop

Posted 16 December 2007 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (Otal Nimrodi @ Dec 16 2007, 01:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gotta say, it looks like the guy would wake up far too soon. You want to keep the game going a while, you see. So, nice attempt, but maybe tweak the New Prince a bit, or something of the sort.

Yeah, I was a little worried that things might escalate too quickly. I went with 10 because:
A: Players will try and avoid damage knowing that it causes Doom.
B: There's only a 33% chance per point of damage taken to add Doom, so a starting track of 10 allows for an average of 30 damage to hit before he wakes up.
C: The ability to "take one for the team" via injury/madness can buy players some valuable turns near the end of the game to heal up before the fight and stop him from bulking up.
You're right, however; thinking about all that, 10 Dooms is starting to seem a bit low, considering every team I know takes at least 3 damage a turn spread evenly around. I might pump him up to 13-14.

QUOTE (Sylv @ Dec 16 2007, 04:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Neat. I'd kind of like to see one for the Tall Man as well. Maybe he can be the first herald and the New Prince can be an upgrade if a certain condition is met. (Maybe as the terror level rises?)

That's a pretty cool idea, I hadn't thought of it. To be honest, the herald was originally the Tall Man, but I failed to find a nice big image of him to screenshot. Then I ran across the New Prince's endgame pose while looking for a Tall Man/Arrogant One image, and decided to run with it. My art skills are nonexistent, unfortunately.

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Dec 16 2007, 05:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The sprite graphics look kind of weird next to the photoshopped scrolls and backgrounds, couldn't you recolour them as well?

Actually, I should have made this more clear initially; there's a piece of software called Strange Eons which lets you build custom Arkham Horror expansions. It handles the templating and all that to make things conform to the original card standards. All I did was brainstorm the rules and screenshot the images out of 6days. (It was such a relief to find that software; I was dreading trying to replicate an original card.) I played all the DeFoe games in order while at various airports, and the idea had been bouncing around since completing 6days.

I was thinking of making a Trilby investigator too, but went with Chzo first. Trilby would probably need some kind of either thiefy ability, or something like what the nun has in AH, preventing him from being Lost in Time and Space. (Clones!)

#8 User is offline   Sylv Icon

• New Cop

Posted 16 December 2007 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (Keldi @ Dec 16 2007, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, I should have made this more clear initially; there's a piece of software called Strange Eons which lets you build custom Arkham Horror expansions. It handles the templating and all that to make things conform to the original card standards.

I had no idea this existed before this moment but now that I do, my life is just that much more joyously nerdier.

This is exciting. I'm excited. Thanks for the heads up on this!

#9 User is offline   Jenx Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:51 PM

These are simply made of WIN and CHZO! Great job man. I would also love to see the Tall Man and Trilby. I never played Arkham Horror though, so I can't give you ideas on statistics and such.

As for the graphics - I tried re-doing some of the pixel art in photoshop, but got bored too fast and stopped. Maybe I should try again.
QUOTE (Ninja Duck @ Jan 15 2008, 05:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And the film should be shot in sepia, because real life was in sepia in the 1990s.

#10 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (Keldi @ Dec 17 2007, 05:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be honest, the herald was originally the Tall Man, but I failed to find a nice big image of him to screenshot.

Isn't there one at the end of TN?
Anyway, nice job.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

#11 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:00 AM

QUOTE (Patch @ Dec 17 2007, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't there one at the end of TN?
Anyway, nice job.

There is, yes.

#12 User is offline   setasouji Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (Keldi @ Dec 16 2007, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking of making a Trilby investigator too, but went with Chzo first. Trilby would probably need some kind of either thiefy ability, or something like what the nun has in AH, preventing him from being Lost in Time and Space. (Clones!)

For Trilby, you could give him the ability not to be Delayed, or something like the hooligan's ability to never be arrested. He'd need a high sneak. Incidentally, there's some good fanart floating around for Trilby and the Tall Man that might be better than the pixelized screenshots.

Awesome stuff, btw.

#13 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:25 PM

By the way, was the order chronological, or numerical?

5-7-6 or 5-6-7?
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#14 User is offline   Thaluikhain Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:44 AM

Er...both, sort of.

Non-linear time.

#15 User is offline   Patch Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (Otal Nimrodi @ Dec 22 2007, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By the way, was the order chronological, or numerical?

5-7-6 or 5-6-7?

The order was chronological, I think. Numerical could work, of course. It only leaves out a few minor details.
For King and Country
Chaotic Good

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size