Chefelf.com Night Life: Anakin Becomes Darth - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Anakin Becomes Darth WARNING! SPOILER PICS!

#16 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 03 May 2004 - 10:27 AM

Long ago, so the rumour has it, Lucas commissioned a prequel treatment, and it got written. Episode three it was, and it was called "The Fall Of The Republic." There wasn't much to it, but it did have a young Han Solo, and it did have a climactic battle between Obi-Wan and Anikin after a fallout involving Princess Arcadia and some business about killing all the children in the galaxy (the author literally references the slaughter of the innocent directly from the Bible). And in this big scrap, ther is some sort of fall into a volcano. As I recall, there is a resurrection of the notion of a force-enhancing crystal, straight out of the Alan Dean Foster novel.

Anyway: the legend is a lie. I have read the thing (albeit a long time ago), and it is not a real story treatment. No professional writer working for a major studio would ever turn in something as fraught as it was with bad spelling and grammar, and it had all the other usual markings of fan fiction, including references to novels and the appearance of young versions of favorite characters. It is certainly not associated in any way to the official STAR WARS stuff, even if Lucas himself is guilty of similar crimes with his own work.

All the same, I bet Lucas uses the volcano thing, and I bet he thinks he wrote it.

This post has been edited by civilian_number_two: 03 May 2004 - 06:34 PM

"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#17 Guest_Commoner_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 03 May 2004 - 01:22 PM

Yeah, that's written by that hack John ?. Flynn. Terrible, but his article in Cinescape umpteen years ago provoked a lot of interest in the making of the Prequels, so I have to hand that to him.

#18 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 May 2004 - 09:59 PM

As to why Vader ends up in a survival suit, before I heard the volcano rumour I had always just figured that being a major player in the purging of the jedi would just take it's toll.

I can't imagine even Vader going through all the jedi that he would have without a few scars, loss of limb and other random things that occur (burning by steam when you inadvertantly hit a steam pipe, etc). Having said that, I didn't picture him killing absolutely all the jedi himself, but he would have had quite a few kills under his belt.

That sort of activity is going to cause you some serious injury no matter how good you are.

Anyway, that's how I fugured he ended up "more machine now than man".
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#19 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2004 - 08:47 AM

I can't imagine even Vader going through all the jedi that he would have without a few scars, loss of limb and other random things that occur

That's a good a theory as any, in my opinion. We could see Luke starting down the path in the movies with his amputated hand. And that was only after his first lightsaber fight.

I also am of the mind that Vader didn't kill all the Jedi himself. Obi Wan said that he helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights - that's it.

And I think Obi Wan really only said that for the sake of explaining to Luke what happened to his father... although it wasn't much of an explanation from Luke's certain point of view.

#20 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 05 May 2004 - 08:47 PM

in the bookversion of Return of the Jedi (released around the time of the movie), Obi wan says that during the fight Anikan fell into some sort of molten material (from memory), and it sounded more like the fight happened in some sort of factory... or plant.

why would they be fighting annywhere near a volcanno?

unless, Darth Sideous has a volcano Island Hideout that he purchased from Dr.Evil, Dr. Collosus, Dr. No, or some other mad man of the evil medical profession....

#21 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 05 May 2004 - 09:38 PM

Actually, I think they say a pit of molten rock or lava, which would lead me to believe it's some kind of volcanic activity going on. Not to mention, later on, before Anakin dies, he thinks back on his whole life, and there's a passage I don't remember exactly how it goes, something like "Pain. Lava all around him" and so on. It does suggest its more of a volcano than a factory. It's actually a really nice passage by the way, when Anakin is dying, very emotional.

#22 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 05 May 2004 - 11:41 PM

He better not fall in lava. Perhaps splashed by lava, but not submerged in it.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#23 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 05 May 2004 - 11:54 PM

(imagines Anikan in his rage, dueling not with a light sabre, but a lava lamp)

#24 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 06 May 2004 - 09:24 PM

or the fight could happen while Lava by MINISTRY is playing in the background.

#25 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 07 May 2004 - 10:36 AM

There is still the problem of how Anakin could have survived falling into lava. I just don't think that this is something that one can recover from.

Obi Wan: I pushed you into a volcano, you creep.

Darth Vader: I got better.

#26 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 07 May 2004 - 09:44 PM

There is still the problem of how Anakin could have survived falling into lava. I just don't think that this is something that one can recover from.

Obi Wan: I pushed you into a volcano, you creep.

Darth Vader: I got better.

I think you have to suspend belief a little. I think what matters more is if Ankin's "death" is interesting, emotional and visually stunning . whether Ankin's death is technically possible is not really that important an issue {unless you are an obsessive nitpicker} Falling into lava is a lot more better a death scene than a slow dismemberment that goes on forever.

This may be controversial here, but I would prefer that we NEVER see Darth Vader in the Prequels. Having him appear in the prequels would destroy his entrance in ANH. I don't want to know or see any scenes showing the building of Darth Vader.

#27 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 07 May 2004 - 09:50 PM

I guess it's okay to suspend disbelief a little for this. Anyway, it's much easier to believe something like that than believe that Hayden Christensen is Luke Skywalker's father.

This may be controversial here, but I would prefer that we NEVER see Darth Vader in the Prequels. Having him appear in the prequels would destroy his entrance in ANH. I don't want to know or see any scenes showing the building of Darth Vader.

I actually like your idea, Mike. If someone were to watch the Star Wars movies from Episode I - VI in order and had never seen the original trilogy, seeing the new Darth Vader in Episode IV would be amazing.

Of course, such a person would have to have a lot of stamina to actually want to see any more Star Wars movies after watching Episode I and Episode II.

#28 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 23 December 2004 - 05:40 AM

You HAVE to show Vader in the PT, there's no way around it. Otherwise you get lost between ep3 and ep4. I'm not saying it couldn't have been done if we started getting hints that Anakin was bad dude but instead we get a whiney teenager who has no way of becoming Vader in his character so we have to actually see it to believe it. Hell, if "Annie" the pod racer who says "Yippie" can turn into Darth Vader than so can anyone, they may as well have had Yaddle or Mace or Amidala become Darth Vader.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#29 User is offline   use the force Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 26 December 2004 - 12:41 PM

think you have to suspend belief a little. I think what matters more is if Ankin's "death" is interesting, emotional and visually stunning . whether Ankin's death is technically possible is not really that important an issue {unless you are an obsessive nitpicker} Falling into lava is a lot more better a death scene than a slow dismemberment that goes on forever.

This may be controversial here, but I would prefer that we NEVER see Darth Vader in the Prequels. Having him appear in the prequels would destroy his entrance in ANH. I don't want to know or see any scenes showing the building of Darth Vader- mike mac from nyc

I dont think he falls directly into the lava. I think he lands like on a rock right by it and some keeps splashing up onto the surface of the rock.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size