Chefelf.com Night Life: Fanmade "Better" Special Edition (Star Wars Revisited) - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fanmade "Better" Special Edition (Star Wars Revisited)

#16 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:44 PM

13.5 hours to go...!

#17 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

Got it, watched it, it's amazing!

All the piss-poor color "correction" from 2004 is gone (no more blue tints, except for two brief scenes where it might actually make sense, you'll see what I mean when you watch it). The sounds are back to how they're supposed to be (even some things from the 1977 mono mix are back like Beru's old voice, woo!). The new SFX are amazing.

The new Yavin battle and saber battle have to be seen to be believed. Somehow Adywan actually managed to make the saber duel from '77 not look outdated (and no CGI flips or extra spins were necessary!). The new TIE/X-Wing battle blows the 1997 edition away.

Spoilers follow:

SPOILERS!!!:

Han Shoots first, he scores! Chewie convincingly gets a medal. Luke acknowledges the loss of Biggs. Death Star almost squeezes off a shot before being blown up. Young George Lucas makes a cameo (guard standing at attention, ending ceremony, right side, foreground). Jabba scene relegated to a deleted scene in the menu (and there's an alternate version of it in 3-D! get out your red & blue glasses). Ponda Boba's hand (actually the bloody wolfman's hand) replaced with a human hand, since Dr. Evanzan actually gets hit first!

And there's a trivia track (text) that indicates the changes. Most of them are very subtle (as it should be!) and appear seamless. There's also an awesome teaser trailer for ESB Revisited, which includes a MUCH IMPROVED Emperor hologram (using Ian McDiarmand from ROTJ, with the lips from the 2004 scene superimposed, and it actually looks good, not like Conan O'Brien at all!) with the original dialog restored.

Any Star Wars fan that was pissed off by the 2004 editions should get this. The DVD5 is out now (on bt, news groups and rapidshare) in both NTSC and PAL formats (well I think PAL isn't on rapidshare yet), and the DVD9 (dual layer) with better quality and more extras is supposedly coming out in "about a month."

#18 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:40 PM

You can PM me for more info...

#19 User is offline   Gerhard Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:48 PM

I downloaded it and watched, and while most changes are indeed welcome, some i did not like.

The idea of putting the episode III soundtrack in the well cuted new Anakin vs Darth duel, was terrible. Can I please remember that 3 particular movies made in 1999, 2002 and 2005 don't exist? laugh.gif

Also the first appearance of the Death Star which is now near a planet, is not very well done in my opinion. Other than that, a must have for any SW fan.

PS: I loved the removal of the Vader red eyes. it always bothered me.

PS2: The guy who did this edit really has talent... and patience!

This post has been edited by Gerhard: 15 March 2008 - 08:16 PM

#20 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:25 AM

Details from the author:

Well the DVD-9 is ticking along slowly. I have a few of the extras done but i've run out of ideas. I was going to do a mini " making of" that would feature both the making of the original film and this edit. but doing the commentary myself would just make me cringe, so that ideas been dropped.

Here's what is on the disc so far:

All extra features available on the DVD-5 plus.....

Isolated score track
StarBalls
Multi angle SP-FX breakdown featurette- Tie chases Biggs
Extended "Alderaan Destruction" scene.

I'm not sure how much more could actually be squeezed onto the disc until these ones are finished.

The video bitrate is already set to the highest possible. It's set to 7000kbps average 8000kbps max. If i push it any higher then some players will have issues with the video due to DVD bitrate limitations. The main video has already been rendered so all i am doing is filling the extra space with what i can.

The DVD-9 will be about a couple of weeks away. I have about all the features i can pack onto it now so all that's left to do is the authoring & fix a few issues and finish the official cover then the PAL is good to go followed by the NTSC not long after.

I've fixed all the errors in the trivia sub track ( thanks ron2112). I've also just completed the New audio track. I'm 95% happy with this mix now. I've been messing about with Vader's voice and i have added a few minor FX, mainly modulation, and he sounds so much better now. It is a very subtle yet noticable difference, closer to how he sounds in the rest of the OT now. Here's a sample:
VADERS NEW VOICE

Just building the menus for the DVD-9 and then the DVD will almost be complete.

In the scene with 3po in the control room, originally i added an extra gun to match the shot where the troopers blast in. I decided to give this another go and i managed to remove the gun from the later scene better than i attempted to do originally. but that is the final ever change (oh apart from a small tweak to the 3po saturation change that was recently mentioned in the desert that i finally managed to fix). This edit is done.

I have been toying with having an alternate mix that wouldn't have the battle of the heroes music, the music during the conference scene, Beru's monomix voice & a couple of other things changed for those who hated the additions. But this is still only an idea and possibly won't happen and it would only be stereo too.

EDIT: after checking out the duel without music it isn't going to happen. it's just doesn't have the same impact without the music.

#21 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:54 PM

A nice slideshow of comparison shots between the official 2004 SE DVD and SWR DVD5:

http://www.flickr.co...57604285751991/

#22 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:18 AM

The much higher quality DVD9 version has just been released on newsgroups (in NTSC and PAL flavors). Obviously it's twice the size of the DVD5 that was released some time ago. There's a bunch of new extras on it.

I'm waiting for the torrent link, myself... the info is posted on fanedit.org.

GO WATCH IT!

#23 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:51 AM

It's out, GO GET IT NOW!!!

The ultimate fan edit of Star Wars EVER, adywan's Star Wars Revisited DVD9 has been released.

Find it now on your favorite t0rrent site (Ie: mininova, demonoid)

(PS: it's 7.6 gb in size, and don't let any mislabeled "purist" tags fool you).

adywan wrote:
Only a DVD-5 NTSC was released of the Purist and there won't be a PAL or DVD-9 versions I'm afraid

So get that?

You want:
DVD9 NTSC

Also available, but different:
-Xvid version (very OLD! many changes since this edition)

-"Purist" DVD5 (same as below, but with fewer audio changes, no extras, not even a menu, and no PAL version)

-NTSC/PAL DVD5 (this is the same as the DVD9, with a couple new tweaks, and far superior visuals, and NEW and improved extras)

-Xvid of the Purist edition, obviously much lower quality (apparently there's a 1 and 2 cd version of this)

-soundtrack (I haven't checked this out myself)

The DVD9 is listed as being posted "2 days ago" (it's after midnight here), and as a result it currently has few seeds. Good luck!

#24 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:27 AM

7.6 gb torrent... on mininova and demonoid right now. Seeders appreciated!

Well, I've got about a third of it now (just had to make some room on my drive, gotta get some DL discs now). The quality is simply AMAZING.

This truly makes the 2004 editions look like CRAP. The color, brightness, etc looks just beautiful, and in the spirit of the original movie.

As for the extras, yes, there is a deleted scene of Jar Jar getting blown up by the Death Star. A guilty pleasure... and the second Luke-Biggs scene is there (in all its unrestored grainy glory) too, as is Jabba the Hutt in 3-D and the ESB-Revisited (with new Emperor Hologram modified from ROTJ rather than the awful 2004 Ep3 pick-up shots) teaser trailer.

If you're curious about SWR, this is the way to go (though if you don't have any dual layer discs, get the Purist Edition DVD5 instead).

This post has been edited by KurganX: 30 May 2008 - 04:28 AM

#25 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:23 PM

The Purist is different in many ways.

http://www.demonoid....471861/3942577/

Changes from the full version:
- Changed 3PO's line back to "There'll be no excape for the princess this time"
- Re-edited Obi-Wan's Hut scene back to its original version
- Removed the extended Death Star reveal