• +
  • « First

I hate America Viva my misguided idealism

#106 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:39 PM

Toaster, something you got to understand, it doesn’t matter whether you are a Yankee, Dixie, Canadian or Mexican, in the end you are American and the rest of use hate for it.

This post has been edited by Snake Logan: 22 January 2008 - 11:41 PM

Word Vault
A Writing Guild For The Clinically Retarded
I am an honorary Crogerse.
QUOTE (Game Over @ Feb 14 2008, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee, you are the Oscar Wilde of the 21st century.

QUOTE (Patch @ Feb 14 2008, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee is gay?!

#107 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:That place thats close to the thing you know the one

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:21 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jan 23 2008, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Carrey's Canadian (and part French Canadian) but he has American citizenship that he acquired in 2004. He grew up with both feet in Canada and was born to Canadian parents. I'm not sure which half of him you think is American, but if I moved to Brazil and earned citizenship would I be "half Brazilian?" If so, I disagree. Dual citizenship isn't the same thing as acquiring an ethnicity, but hey that's just my opinion.

Yep, skookum is an aboriginal word, Salish I think, and it's not exclusively Canadian. I think the natives of Washington (assuming I'm right about the Salish) have it as well. Apparently though it didn't make it to the mainstream in the US, unless it's only in Washington and none of you folks are. Anyway it's not even that common around here anymore, so it's a sign of my age. Since nobody much learns about Natives in high school anymore, and since in my neighbourhood English is the first language of 34.7% of the population (based on the last census), it's only codgers who even know it. It means "strong," I used it intentionally as a shout ot to Western Canada, and I meant it with irony.

What was this thread originally about? Oh yeah, I hate America because they won't keep their religion out of my peanut butter.

Dude, wait... What? Does this mean I'm NOT "skookum"?

No me saying Carrey was half Canadian was not some complex point about citizenship and ethnicity, it was me misinterpreting the first few lines of a wiki article. Occams razor man. Anyway my deal with Carrey is he's annoying and seeing "fun with Dick and Jane" cost me £4.50 and an hour and a half of my life I'm never getting back. Bastard.

Back on topic, I hate America because of CSI Miami. It's nowhere near as good as Vegas the guy with the silly name cant act and constantly taking off/putting on a pair of shades while putting your hands on your hips and staring melodramatically into the mid-distance does NOT constitute police work!

QUOTE (arien @ Jun 29 2008, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this baby, while still inside its mother, murdered his twin brother and STOLE HIS PENIS.

That is one badass baby.

#108 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:26 AM

Agreed about CSI MIami, but if it's an example of what you hate about America, don't you lose points for preferring its Vegas counterpart? That sounded to me like "I hate America because they have this one show that's nowhere near as good as their other show."
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#109 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:That place thats close to the thing you know the one

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:56 AM

The way I see it is that Vegas proves they can do better Miami proves they choose not to because they’re more interested in money spinning. It could be that I've just undermined my own point by saying my beef is with capitalism but I’ll be damned if I'm going to let your logic and reason rain all over my I hate America parade, that’s just not what hate is about. wink.gif
QUOTE (arien @ Jun 29 2008, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this baby, while still inside its mother, murdered his twin brother and STOLE HIS PENIS.

That is one badass baby.

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size