Chefelf.com Night Life: Iran accused of not making nukes - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Iran accused of not making nukes Bush SMASH

#16 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:33 PM

Yeah, it sucks that a lot of people that could vote don't, but at the same time, like I said, we still can't really know what we're getting ourselves into when we vote for representatives, even our president. We don't really get to make the decisions. Let's say a bill gets into Congress: "We will nuke South Carolina every 50 years because South Carolina is teh poopypants." Obviously, the majority of the American population would disagree with that. But as that law makes its way through the House and the Senate, all we can really do is hope that the people we have already chosen to represent us like South Carolina enough to keep it around. Even if, in their campaign, they stated such things like, "If I am elected, I swear to love all the states equally," or "If you vote for me, I won't nuke anybody," or "I wank daily to images of my beloved homestate of SC," they still might change their mind/have lied previously/whatever and vote to bomb the fuck out of SC. So said bill gets through the House, and the Senate, and finally the President; and whoops! South Carolina is nuked, the entire country is effected, and probably only about 45% of the American population wanted this to happen (just kidding, maybe only 15%).

I know it's a silly example, but this kind of thing happens. The population of America did not make the decision to put us into war after the Trade Center attacks. And we probably will vote for a new president that promises to pull out of the Middle East (God willing), but that might not actually happen when whoever it is actually gets into office (what president actually has kept every campaign promise, or even half of them?).

Oh, and the electoral college? Those electoral voters are generally expected to vote the way the popular vote goes, but they don't have to. So even if the country did all get up and go vote to try and make a difference, it's not guaranteed.

These things and more are why I get tired of people insulting the entire population of America for the choices that really, just a handful of people are making.

But yeah, people who sit on their lazy asses instead of voting, or believe everything they hear on the television without looking into it, or just don't even care - those people suck. And so do the people that elect the wrong people because they are ignorant/like war/whatever (but even I've supported the wrong person before, seeing as that I had no idea what they were really like until it was too late). But still, I'm tired of getting insulted for things of which I had no part.

This post has been edited by Spoon Poetic: 05 December 2007 - 01:35 PM
Reason for edit:: clarification

I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#17 User is offline   azerty Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:27 PM

El Rey told Hugo Chavez "Why don't you shut up!" the other day. That was excellent! Chavez is an idiot, and Juan Carlos knows how to deal with idiots. As soon as he can drink 2.5 pints of beer in 11 seconds he'll move into first position for all time best leader on the planet.

Attending protests and spreading the word through your writing is a waste of time. It's about as productive as venting on one of those American AM radio right wing talk news channels. "Call in and take our very important listener poll! Your opinion COUNTS!"

The problem with the protesters is that they are invariably poorly washed, wear berets, old army jackets, and ill fitting corduroy trouses, have long hair, wear Malcolm X spectacles and paratooper jump boots, read Sartre and all have the same boring opinions about everything. They are utterly conformist, never having a point of view that might surprise anyone. They are just marginalized dorks, supposing themselves to be abnormally gifted in the domain of music, poetry, painting or stagecraft, with little or nothing to support the supposition, who think the world should be reorganized so that people take some sort of notice of them.

"Are those dumbshits still out there banging on their tambourines? Thank God, I thought we might have to worry that people actually care that we are about to dump nuclear waste off the Farallones... Carry on!"

P.S. The bar with no beer was in the hotel, I guess it wasn't really a bar, it was just a place in the lobby to not be able to buy beer. And PAL Tv isn't a problem now that the USA has discovered High Def, and so doesn't have to put up with that shitty picture anymore. I hear the US has just invented Sudoku, are curently inventing the sim card, and are about to invent WAP GPRS. The world thanks you.

Actually I am enjoying myself here. They really do talk like Boss Hog down south.

#18 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:53 PM

Sounds like you're in one of the really shitty southern areas, like rural Alabama or something. Yuck. No wonder you're getting a bad impression of the U.S.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#19 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:55 PM

Spoon - If people started getting behind third parties things would improve, simply due to the threat of the wealthy elite losing power. Even if people do get smart and vote Bush and his croneys out of the white house for four years, they know someone like them will be back in the next race and likely to win. What the fucks the point?

I continue to insist that American citizens bear part of the blame for what their country is doing and should own up to it. If we don't like what our government is doing and we truly can't stop it, then yes, guns and pipe bombs ought to be the order of the hour. Changing this form of government is a duty we owe to the entire world.

The bar with no beer was in the hotel, I guess it wasn't really a bar, it was just a place in the lobby to not be able to buy beer.

So you wandered into a hotel lobby and demanded beer? No wonder they called the cops. If thats the norm where you come from then I should either be saying Gutentag or G'day Mate, cuz I dunno of anywhere else where you could get beer from the person who gives you your room keys.

RE: Rant about protesters: I've never actually read Sartre, although I do wear my beret every day.

RE: Rant about Chavez: Yes. The king of spain does indeed know how to deal with idiots. By telling them to shut up in the middle of the UN. However Chavez could have won the debate by using "Talk to the hand cuz the face dont wanna hear it"

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#20 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:35 PM

I thought you liked Chavez? But you're making fun of him...?

#21 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Dec 5 2007, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like you're in one of the really shitty southern areas, like rural Alabama or something. Yuck. No wonder you're getting a bad impression of the U.S.

Oh, that's rich. You assume he was in Alabama so you go ahead heightening that state's perceived woeful status based on presumption? Who are you, the Media Elite?

Azerty, let me know when you're in these parts and I'll show you a good time. We can even keep our noses in the air if you like. (Additionally, we are allowed to drink on Sunday.) But if you're looking for Boss Hogg, he ain't from around here.

#22 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:37 PM

Oh, Depsondent, it was a joke. Notice how I recently nuked SC, my own home state? Don't be angry.

And it's not like I haven't experienced these ol' Southern states. And it's been my experience that dry counties in the deep South are generally not the most fun places to be, due to the rural rampant racism, redneckism, and religiousness(ism!). (Check out that alliteration!) Like, not regular ol' religiousness - but like, redneck + Bojo religiousness, you know, the bad kind.

I really did not mean to offend, and in fact, was trying to do the true American thing pick on a Southern state that I didn't think anyone here was from - I was going for SC at first but I figured I'd picked on it enough, and I knew Janey was from LA, and Jm from one or the other of the Virginias, and I had it in my head that you were in Georgia instead of Alabama until your post reminded me otherwise. So I humbly apologize, and ask that you please not take me so seriously on stuff like that... sad.gif

This post has been edited by Spoon Poetic: 06 December 2007 - 06:38 PM

#23 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:12 PM

No problem

#24 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:14 PM

If you want to see just how useful democracy can or can't be, I suggest you watch Australia over the next couple of years. We recently overthrew the local dictator and elected the opposition, so now we're all holding our breaths to see if things will change or plough on exactly as before. Though it should be the Liberal Party (our equivalent of the American Republican party. I know it doesn't make sense, I don't get it either) still holds power in the senate for at least 6 months, so they may be able to block any changes the ALP (Australian Labour Party, our version of the American Democrats) try to instigate.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#25 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:29 PM

Wait, was he really a dictator, or are you just poking fun at him like people do Bush? *does not know a thing about Australian politics*

#26 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Dec 7 2007, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you want to see just how useful democracy can or can't be, I suggest you watch Australia over the next couple of years. We recently overthrew the local dictator and elected the opposition, so now we're all holding our breaths to see if things will change or plough on exactly as before. Though it should be the Liberal Party (our equivalent of the American Republican party. I know it doesn't make sense, I don't get it either) still holds power in the senate for at least 6 months, so they may be able to block any changes the ALP (Australian Labour Party, our version of the American Democrats) try to instigate.

Try and deceiver this one, Liberals are conservatives and Labours are liberals. To be completely truthful though, they are both conservative in every way except economic policy.

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Dec 7 2007, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait, was he really a dictator, or are you just poking fun at him like people do Bush? *does not know a thing about Australian politics*

Howard was an expansionist. He believed in a free economy but also supported Americas wars throughout Europe, Africa and the Middle East. He was a hypocrite when it came to foreign policy, supporting humanitarian intervention but doing nothing with regards to Indonesia’s actions in West Papua or East Timor. He held office for 3 terms, 10 years. He abolished century old labour laws so he and his cronies could profit even more from the working class. Personally I am happy that Rudd came back into power, as long as they don’t continue Howard’s policies. If you don’t know who Rudd is then try to remember an old Jay Leno show when he broadcasted an Australian politician who picked his own earwax and then ate it. That politician is our new Prime Minister.

This post has been edited by Snake Logan: 06 December 2007 - 10:55 PM

Word Vault
A Writing Guild For The Clinically Retarded
I am an honorary Crogerse.
QUOTE (Game Over @ Feb 14 2008, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee, you are the Oscar Wilde of the 21st century.

QUOTE (Patch @ Feb 14 2008, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee is gay?!

#27 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:30 PM

...I bet you're so proud.

#28 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Dec 7 2007, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...I bet you're so proud.

At least it showed that he was a common man with common tastes.
Word Vault

Yahtzee is gay?!

#29 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:14 AM

Well, I for one am hoping it's a new step up. As for Howard being a dictator, that was a bit of hyperbole, but he did manage to tweak things so that they went his way. For example, Australia had a vote on whether to become a Republic or stay a Constitutional Monarchy a few years back. Opinion poles showed that about 90% of the population favoured breaking our ties to the Queen, but Howard didn't like that idea. So instead of holding a referendum on whether or not to become a Republic, he had his friends draw up a horribly corrupt constitution and then had everybody vote on whether or not we wanted that republic. Naturally, people voted against it and then he claimed that seeing as people apparently wanted to stay as we were, there was no reason to change.
Another reason I'm glad to see him go is he basically cut funding to education and health, then made a big deal about under his leadership the economy is strong due to the budget surplus. I mean, it's nice to not be in debt at all, but you don't need that much extra money. The only reason to have money is to spend it to make your life better. Rudd has promised to try and fix up the gaping holes in our healthcare and education programs, and I hope he keeps his word.
I could go on, but really we're drifting off topic. The point I was trying to make is we recently elected a new head of state, but only time will tell if it causes any improvement, or if society continues on it's merry way to decay.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#30 User is offline   Snake Logan Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:00 AM

At least now we have Labour government across the board so no more blame games.

This post has been edited by Snake Logan: 07 December 2007 - 02:00 AM

Word Vault

Yahtzee is gay?!

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size